Which Linux to put on Win7 laptop?

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
Bren
Title: Everything went to hell after Empire.

Which Linux to put on Win7 laptop?

Post by Bren »

Decided this Dell needs to get is Win7 erased 'cause heck, they're not even supporting Win10 anymore.

I've only ever used this thing for watching videos on the Internet, cruising the Web, etc. Which distro do I install?

Note I've never quite gotten the hang of Linux. Is there a distro out there that mimicks MacOS?

My dad is saying just do Mint Cinnamon. Is good?

I do not give Facebook or any entities associated with Facebook permission to use my pictures, information, messages or posts, both past and future. With this statement, I give notice to Facebook it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, or

Bren

Post by Bren »

This looks nice:

https://elementary.io

I do not give Facebook or any entities associated with Facebook permission to use my pictures, information, messages or posts, both past and future. With this statement, I give notice to Facebook it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, or

Yori
Title: Program

Post by Yori »

Specs of the laptop would be useful

maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Yup. If it's a Core2 class machine (before the introduction of the i series), then I would suggest MX Linux. If it's at least a second-gen i series system, with a decent amount of RAM, Mint Linux is pretty solid.

ukimalefu
Title: Bug in the Machine

Post by ukimalefu »

I once tried to make a bootable linux USB flash drive and failed (only tried once, never tried again)

Recently I made one with Chrome OS Flex, and I was able to use present day internet on old core2 duo Macs, where the internet would barely work (OS X 10.6.8 hadn't had any browser updates for years)

https://chromeenterprise.google/os/chromeosflex/

The thing is your basically limited to Chrome (or CHromium, actually) and doing everything online.

I really wanted to have it just in case, but I really haven't used it because I haven't needed to.

Here's my thread about it

viewtopic.php?t=28970

Bren

Post by Bren »

Laptop is a Dell E6420 with Core i5 (apparently 2.5 Ghz?) and 4GB of RAM.

I AM ABOUT TO INSTALL ELEMENTARY OS ON IT!

The Web site says elementary OS is, "The thoughtful, capable, and ethical replacement for Windows and macOS."

maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

If you can, up the RAM. Even 8GB will give a significantly more satisfactory experience than 4GB. I have an ancient Dell Inspiron 1720 (T7700 CPU) that actually runs decently well with 6GB, while I have seen much newer machines suck wind with less.

Yori
Title: Program

Post by Yori »

Yeah, max out the RAM and the E6420 should run Mint Cinnamon quite nicely. I ran it on a similarly-specced Thinkpad.

sean
Title: Royal Wombat

Post by sean »

Yori wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:53 am

Yeah, max out the RAM and the E6420 should run Mint Cinnamon quite nicely. I ran it on a similarly-specced Thinkpad.

Mint // Cinnamon was going to be my recommendation. Best bang for your buck on older hardware.

Resident Photoshop Guru & Car Guy