Avoid Safari until they fix this

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
ukimalefu
Title: Screen toucher

Avoid Safari until they fix this

Post by ukimalefu »

Safari 15 bug can leak your recent browsing activity and personal identifiers

The bug could expose your Google User ID to other sites

A bug in Safari 15 can leak your browsing activity, and can also reveal some of the personal information attached to your Google account, according to findings from FingerprintJS, a browser fingerprinting and fraud detection service (via 9to5Mac). The vulnerability stems from an issue with Apple’s implementation of IndexedDB, an application programming interface (API) that stores data on your browser.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

This can be a serious problem, although it can be somewhat mitigated by using better browsing habits such as clearing Safari's History (in Safari's menu: History>Clear History..., then select "all history"), espeically after visiting any Google pages such as GMail.

avkills

Post by avkills »

Actually this affects any browser that uses WebKit. fiddlesticks tech needs to slow down and fix all the horse human waste they have been releasing.

"Killing them dead till they believe"
† The Church of Mark †
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

avkills wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:56 pm

Actually this affects any browser that uses WebKit. fiddlesticks tech needs to slow down and fix all the horse human waste they have been releasing.

Yup, but this is everything. I have been complaining about most of the CAD tools I use for years because they focus on adding new features instead of fixing the bugs in the old ones.

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Updates available for iOS and macOS monterrey

https://gizmodo.com/ios-15-3-update-iph ... 1848427560

As usual, I'll wait about a week before updating.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I updated my iPhone while working on my MBP and the iOS 15.3 updater did not take very long to download. The updater DID take a while to process, but it all took less than an hour.

I haven't checked my MBP yet. I started its download of the Monterey updater before I went to bed last night.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

My MBP was at the point of requiring a reboot to continue the updater to be installed. That can take a while.

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Got the iOS 15.3 update

Before, I had always used iTunes to get updates, because I thought: manually backup first, then click update, easy, right? but I always had problems, and it took a couple tries to get the update done.

This time, I did the backup first with iTunes, BUT started the update process from the iPhone. Got it on the first try, no problem. And I didn't check the file size, but I think it all went faster than previous updates. Also, no issues with my internet or any power outage. I guess I got lucky this time.