Post by ukimalefu »

arkayn
Title: Aaarrrggghhhh

Post by arkayn »

TOS wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:45 pm

skyrim in vr

astonishingly good

the nords are taller than me!

I will have to wait for Skyrim Holodeck version, I cannot do VR.

TOS

Post by TOS »

arkayn wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:38 pm
TOS wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:45 pm

skyrim in vr

astonishingly good

the nords are taller than me!

I will have to wait for Skyrim Holodeck version, I cannot do VR.

yeah i struggle with vr, but i'm slowly getting used to it

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

maurvir wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:34 pm

GOG focuses on older games (hence the "good old games"). Not so much of an issue for the EE versions of Baldur's Gate, as Beamdog already rewrote the engine for modern operating systems, but for a lot of older games, GOG will actually patch them to work on newer systems.

So, if you had a hankering to run something REALLY old, like Ultima for example, GOG has a version that is compatible with Windows 10.

Thanks, I looked them up. A couple other great thing is you get to OWN the games you bought. No DRM, and you don't need to be online or running their app to play them.

Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
Malkin
Title: kick 'em in the face; taste the body

Post by Malkin »

Like all I play anymore is stupid Clash Royale. I have a good clan.

sean
Title: Royal Wombat

Post by sean »

I just downloaded Stellaris a few days ago. Steep learning curve, but, I'm enjoying it.

Resident Photoshop Guru & Car Guy
ukimalefu
Title: Screen toucher

Post by ukimalefu »

sean wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:17 pm

I just downloaded Stellaris a few days ago. Steep learning curve, but, I'm enjoying it.

I’m always confused by that game’s name, because I use an astronomy app called ’Stellarium’

sean
Title: Royal Wombat

Post by sean »

It's kind of like... Risk. But, in space. Space Risk.

Resident Photoshop Guru & Car Guy
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

I never could get into Risk

Lombo
Title: Opiophile

Post by Lombo »

It is very fun game but too basic for my taste. For me it’s Axis and Allies.
I began Castlevania on Apple Arcade and I’m not sure I like it yet.

TOS

Post by TOS »

i've got stellaris but it kind of intimidates me

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Hades is the funnest game I've played in ages...highly addictive, and a must for Diablo fans.

Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

I've been playing mostly iOS games, neglecting quite a few never played Mac games, and a few that I've yet to finish.

- Burrito Bison: Launcha Libre

- Dead Target

- Angry Birds 2 (I've played many a few versions of Angry BIrds for the Mac, my favorite is the Star Wars one, but this game looks so much better on the iPhone)

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Dead Target redecorates for the season, I think that’s cool

macaddict4life

Post by macaddict4life »

Deeprock Galactic! Lots of it!

Ernest
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Wordle.

This a simple word game. Once a day the game posts a new puzzle and you have 6 chances to match it correctly.

You must:

1 use a correct 5-letter word (so no cheating with "aeiou" for your first guess).

2 every letter in your guess that is NOT in today's word gets marked with a grey box.

3 every letter in your guess that is in today's word but is NOT in the correct position gets a yellow box.

4 every letter that is in today's word AND in the correct position gets a green box.

5 your keyboard at the game's bottom will mark which letters you have used, changing the key to grey, yellow or green.

If your guess is SMART but today's word is SWARM, then S A R get a green box, M gets a yellow box, and T gets a grey box. On the other hand HEROS would only get a yellow box around R with the rest gettng grey boxes.

Do note that there is no rule against a letter being used more than once. If your guess is GREEN but the today's word is SABLE, then you would get two yellow boxes around both Es and grey boxes around G R and N.

The tough part can be figuring out a test word which fits your green boxes.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I ran through The Room 4: Old Sins, $3.99 from Fireproof Games (the title on an iPhone is just "The Room: Old Sins"). I should note that this version got "Best of 2018" awards so it had been out for a while. I never looked for it.

If you had played the other versions of "The Room", then the format and gameplay is quite familiar. I guess the best analogy are those "escape rooms" although with healthy dose of mystical reality added that cannot be found in actual escape rooms (though after playing "Old Sins", I have a suspicion that I would find real escape rooms intolerable).

"Old Sins" is...OK. It had been a while since I had played those other versions of "The Room", so I found myself struggling with some of the early more twisted paths, but during the final "rooms" I was able to rush through, somehow having unlocked the gamemaker "patterns".

maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

I liked all of the games, but the last installment was quite good. I definitely recommend The Room series in general, but 4 in particular.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I went looking for some version of "Bejeweled". I had probably the original version that was for Palm Pilot devices as early as 1997(?), so very much predating later variations like Candy Crush.

I found at the iPhone App Store "Bejeweled Classic" from PopCap. This contains 7 versions including one called "Classic" BUT the screen is about a quarter the size of the game of the REAL original: an 8x8 field of gems compared to (I think) an 15x15 field. There are additional gem combos which were NOT part of the original (which only counted the number of gems removed). Worse, Bejeweled Classic is rife with ads: every time you "complete" a level (which are identical except for the randomized gem layout), you get to see an ad for another game in which those makers of those games make it difficult to figure out where to press to get on with playing Bejeweled.

Eventually I got offered a chance to "upgrade" to "Bejeweled Stars" also from PopCap. This has a stairs-climbing feature where the player gets to see variation upon the original game such as a "slide" within which the gems move when the player moves a gem to complete a set of up to 5 (although I suppose a set of 7 is possible). Except for the first two steps which had no set goals other than to survive long enough (it is possible to get stuck with no possible gem combos), the subsequent steps have set goals such as "remove 20 red gems within 25 moves" or some such. I found that there are 2000 steps within Stars but all of those are locked away until I complete the first "island" which will unlock the next island of 8 more steps. There are other complications such as gaining coins with which the player can "buy" stars to complete "constellations" which will grant the player more bonuses (such as powers to aid play), and just a confusion of add-ons many of which I have yet to encounter.

BUT one of the features--buying coins--is Bejeweled Stars money-making venture: if you would rather not play the game to get piddling small amounts of 3 or more coins to complete each level, you can buy coins in lots of 115 for $1.99 to 10,000 a SALE!!! for 14,000 coins for $99.99. Heh, probably not for me.

I did see that there is a paid version of Bejeweled Classic: $2.99 to remove the numerous ads. By "upgrading" when I downloaded Bejeweled Stars, I got that ad-removal in Bejeweled Classic for free. I haven't played the removed-ads version yet, perhaps I will stick to Classic and ignore Stars. Or I might toss them both.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I did play Bejeweled Classic. It is now completely free of ads. I'm inclined to ignore Bejeweled Stars forever (although I will allow it to sit on my iPhone just in case PopCap detects that removal).

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

DEyncourt wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:52 pm

Wordle.

This a simple word game.

Someone took apart the source code for Wordle and found its list of 2,315 5-letter words. I think by implication this list had been scrambled into some random order but the daily update chooses the NEXT word in that list.

I think this could be fixed by using a random number generator against that list of words. The restriction is that the same number could not be used twice in a row (or maybe for the next 5, 7, 30, 365 days? Keep that list of "used" numbers in an array which drops out the "bottom" entry each day).

maurvir

Post by maurvir »

Portal Stories: Mel

I am playing this now, and it's a run romp through the old 1950's era part of the labs (so far). I am really digging the new puzzles.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

DEyncourt wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:52 pm

Wordle.

This a simple word game.

"Wordle copycats have vanished from Apple’s App Store". As yet there is no official reason for most of these copycat clones being removed.

There are a few games actually entitled "Wordle" at the App Store but all of them were posted years ago and do not use the same game design of the web-based game.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

<grumble> I gots ads in Bejeweled Classic again. I was playing during my dialysis session when three times I got ads. Oh well, so much for "free".

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

That was hard, but fun. The physics feel great. I had the real thing, a small one, as a kid.

It says level 2, that’s for the hard (free) levels. It comes with 10 easy and 10 hard levels for free

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

For Bejeweled Classic there is an option for seeing other game ads. Before starting up a particular version, click on the Up arrow near the bottom of the screen. There you will see 5 commands. Click on Options. In the middle section there is a checkbox for PROMOTIONS--uncheck this to remove the ads.

I did NOT uncheck this or REcheck it at any time, so maybe PopCap decided to switch it to being checked at some point. Since removing the check mark I haven't seen any more ads.

TOS

Post by TOS »

boomerang-fu on the switch

my daughter found it, really fun 'n' goofy multiplayer (we play local multiplayer)

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I guess that PopCap/Electronic Arts decided that I wasn't generating enough revenue while playing Bejeweled Classic (BC).

Today they rescinded their policy of downloading Bejeweled Stars being enough to remove ads from BC, and MAN are they annoying! Not only did I get to see a small Google ad appearing at the top of every screen, but in between games I had to watch TWO ads for alternate games at an increased volume above the volume I had set BC to play.

MAYBE they thought "Here's a player who has played BC for many hours"--they can see precisely how much time I have devoted to BC--"so let's have him at least pay $2.99 to remove ads."

NOPE. I have deleted both from my phone AND I will be leary of EVERY game from PopCap and Electronic Arts.

Back to Solitaire Forever.

maurvir

Post by maurvir »

Mobile gaming really is a cesspool if you aren't willing to shell out a few bucks.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

So I gave Bejeweled a try. I looked around for some "old" games and I spied Tetris. It LOOKED good: it appeared to be from the original company that created it decades ago.

It was AWFUL. Not only weren't there any obvious controls for moving nor rotating the block formations (I THINK there were some on-screen buttons that could be selected only after losing the first game), but there wasn't any way to adjust the volume within the game. Your ONLY choice was to lower the general volume on the phone which is very annoying.

I also took a glance at some of the items that the game makers could ask from its users: your name, your face (!)...well, right there was a showstopper. BOOM! I got it off my iPhone as quick as possible.

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

I have Tetris, I like it
It’s using my username, not my real name, the reason must be because there’s multiplayer games. I don’t remember when I entered the username and now I can’t find if I can change it or how.
I did have to figure out the controls, it’s by swiping and tap to rotate the pieces.

*edit*
oh, and tetris didn't ask for my face

Not a single one of my iOS games has independent volume controls. I hate that as I’d like to listen to my music while playing. Some games do let you mute their sound so I do that sometimes, or sometimes even keep the phone on silent mode when not using headphones.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Solitaire Forever has a mute (not that playing it requires any sound unless you like the repetitive audio of cards being flipped or being moved from one location to another).

Bejeweled Classic has an actual slider independent of the smartphone's audio.

I will be spoiled when I encounter any other games without a similar volume control.

maurvir

Post by maurvir »

I finished Portal Stories:Mel and I think it may actually be better than Portal 2 itself. I was impressed in general, and even more so for being a free mod.

If you have Portal 2, I definitely recommend it.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Last add for Solitaire Forever: if you have decided to give up on a game, BEFORE you press the button to start a new game, watch the screen for a bit. While annoyingly the game field is "animated" so that field floats around, what you can see is that the game you gave up is being played by your computer. MOST of the time all it does is run through the stock (the cards from which you flip over 3 cards) once after which it will begin to play a set hand, BUT I did see one time that I had made an error and got to watch the game play through to a win.

I guess I could learn to play another solitaire game but I have been playing klondike exclusively. My win rate has been between 9 and 11%..

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

DEyncourt wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:22 pm

after which it will begin to play a set hand

I was wrong on that. What Solitaire Forever will do is play a random hand of whichever solitaire game you were playing (so I see klondike on mine). It plays rather quickly so you could watch the floating panel play through to a win, but based on my own win record it appears that about 1 out of every 10 klondike hands may be won.

dv

Post by dv »

DEyncourt wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:20 am
DEyncourt wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:22 pm

after which it will begin to play a set hand

I was wrong on that. What Solitaire Forever will do is play a random hand of whichever solitaire game you were playing (so I see klondike on mine). It plays rather quickly so you could watch the floating panel play through to a win, but based on my own win record it appears that about 1 out of every 10 klondike hands may be won.

I don't have a recommendation, but there are solitaire/klondike games that have an "always winnable" option. It's "cheating" but it does then become less an issue of chance and more a question of whether the user is clever enough to figure it out.

maurvir

Post by maurvir »

There are some hands that are literally not winnable, no matter how well you play. Eliminating those doesn't feel like "cheating" to me.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

maurvir wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:41 pm

There are some hands that are literally not winnable, no matter how well you play. Eliminating those doesn't feel like "cheating" to me.

BUT some hands can BECOME unwinnable by a bad or missed play. You could miss a playable card in your deck, but because you had played another card from the deck before that the other card becomes "buried" within your deck. In such situations there can be no winning strategy which could enable any win.

So I don't know if I would prefer any version of klondike which had every deck which starts out as winnable.

I had one deck of klondike where there was not ONE playable card: none of the face-up cards could be played upon another, and none of visible cards from the deck could be played on them. So :shrug: and I started a new hand.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I tried looking for another game similar to the Room series but I'm afraid that I have been spoiled by the best.

I tried Meridian 157: Prologue, which is the free introductory chapter to this series (there are 3 more chapters at $1.99 each). It has SOME similarities with the Room series, but its puzzles were VERY mundane.

I also tried The House of Da Vinci Lite which again is the free introductory chapter to the full games which are $4.99 each (there is likewise an introductory The House of Da Vinci II Lite which I haven't tried yet). This is a bit more promising in that its puzzles approach those in the Room series in sophistication. You are a student of Leonardo da Vinci while he was living in Florence. You have been given messages from Master da Vinci implying some conspiracy against him, and so you must solve the puzzles to reveal the secret(s?) he has hidden. I am a bit bothered by the in-game devices because they have distinctly mystical powers to work as opposed to scientific reasons, but you can't have everything.

I haven't quite decided that I will continute beyond the lite intro chapters.

macnuke
Title: PureBleed

Post by macnuke »

Mostly put WoW to the back burner.
The son is wanting me to load up Final Fantasy 14
Been a while since I played it and he said they made a bunch of it better
Thinking on it. :shrug:

People that do not succeed in politics usually tell the truth too often.