Recommendations for Klondike solitaire for iPhone?

PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, computer games, iOS, or even board games
DEyncourt

Recommendations for Klondike solitaire for iPhone?

Post by DEyncourt »

I have downloaded to my iPhone "Solitaire by Brainium". It's...OK. The Klondike solitaire game is standard, and the price for the free version is that you must watch an ad--mostly demos for other games from Brainium, so this aspect is kinda annoying but much more tolerable than the first one I tried. I don't even recall the name or the maker, but in between each round of solitaire there was a VERY annoying ad of Jenny McCarthy talking VERY closely at her smartphone's camera. Upon the start of its second repeat I just immediately quit that game and deleted that app.

What I'm looking for a cheap--free is best but one that has ONLY a one-time fee can be tolerated--and basic Klondike solitaire identical to that game that was in Windows 95. Any recommendations?

--

One of the games that was advertised was "Evony: the King's Return". In the ads it showed some of the puzzle levels. While they were simple, they at least had the potential of becoming interesting, so I downloaded it then started it up. Evony is basically a variant of the various Civilization games though interspered within it are these various puzzle games like those advertised. I liked those few puzzles I got to play, but Evony forces you to work upon those Civilization-like aspects so I deleted this after about 20 minutes.

ukimalefu
Title: Screen toucher

Post by ukimalefu »

The one I have is called simply: Solitaire. I really like it. It’s made by Easybrain

dv

Post by dv »

Brainium's gave me some "this application tried to paste from Safari" errors so I immediately uninstalled it.

I use Solitaire4Ever, which is an inexpensive paid one.

Evony started out as a F2P/PTW Flash game (a Civ clone where everything took exponentially more time to build unless you paid money), spammed most of the gamer-news type websites with those (in)famous "Come Play, My Lord" banner ads a few years ago. I wouldn't touch anything with that name on it with a 10-foot pole.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I tried the EasyBrain version. It is OK like the Brainium version but it has one key advantage: the sound volume control applies to EVERYTHING including the ads for other Brainium games. I was planning to play solitaire during my dialysis sessions and while I will be wearing my Bluetooth headphones I don't want to hear the EasyBrain ads.

--

Thanks, dv, I will give Solitaire4Ever a try.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I did give Klondike Forever a try. Apparently if they used a "4" in their names, they have switched their names to this form. There is also Solitaire Forever II which is a collection of over 150 variants of solitaire, but Klondike Forever will be sufficient for me. It is free though apparently it will forever beg you to give Solitaire Forever II a try. I have gone into the options which can be set, turning off the sound and the annoying animations which are impressive but ultimately are rather useless since I stopped seeing any of it while playing Klondike.

Maybe I will like Klondike Forever well enough to buy a copy of Solitaire Forever II ($2.99)

maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

My attitude on paying a couple of bucks for things has softened a bit, though I draw the line at subscriptions for apps that don't need subscriptions. A one-time fee of $3 isn't that bad if you really enjoy the game.

I paid $2 for Dark Reader so that I could use Safari for Google Docs and it was worth it.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Ok, Solitaire Forever II was being offered for free (I assume that it was just an invite for some time before they ask me to pay), so I downloaded it.

Weirdly SF2 did not have all of the controls for Klondike that Klondike Forever had, and it had some oddnesses to it. Maybe it was only that I played KF first, but I disliked SF2 that after a couple of rounds I just deleted it.

DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

Microsoft Solitaire Collection.
Free with ads.
Games are winnable in all levels except "Random", and it gives you a "Try Again" option so you can keep trying until you win.

intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I actually have only one complaint against Klondike Forever: it does not display the clock on its screen. There is a "game timer" which shows you how long you took to play a hand--upon completion or your determination that the current hand is unwinnable, click on the setup icon in the upper right corner and that timer will display in the upper left corner--but I really want the current time to be displayed somewhere. This is not an option within the game.

There are NO ADS aside from their c'mon to give Solitaire Forever II a try in between hands.

While repetition of a given hand is not explicitly explained, with Klondike Forever you can do this:
1) click on the setup icon in the upper right corner.
2) a slide bar appears at the bottom with its progress marker at its far right. You can slide that marker back-n-forth to find that place where you screwed up or slide it to the far left to begin that hand again. At either end of the progress bar there are "footstep" icons to move only a single card play with each click. The progress bar does not recognize clicking the screen anywhere along itself.
3) The above-mentioned game timer is not affected by the slider on the progress bar: if you choose to restart a game then if you had spent 3 minutes before then your restart begins with 3 minutes.

dv

Post by dv »

Yeah, I will occasionally swipe down to see the clock while wasting time w/ Solitaire4Ever.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

dv wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:34 pm

Yeah, I will occasionally swipe down to see the clock while wasting time w/ Solitaire4Ever.

Hmm. That swipe-down does not work in Klondike Forever. That game does have an enlarge function: click twice at any location on its screen and it will blow up that portion of the screen centered on where you double-clicked. Clicking anywhere will return the screen to its normal view.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Just making sure that this wasn't a different game: I could not find "solitaire4ever" or "solitaire 4 ever" or "solitaire 4ever" in the Apple App Store, or at least not any more.

There are separate entries for "Solitaire Forever" ($2.99) AND "Solitaire Forever II" (free [for me?] presumably for a trial period). Both of those games and Klondike Forever are made by the company Solitaire Forever.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I decided that I liked Klondike Forever enough that I would buy Solitaire Forever (NOT II) for $2.99 if only to support the maker.

Solitaire Forever's Klondike plays exactly like Klondike Forever, so I can remove that latter game from my iPhone. PERHAPS (but probably not) I could attempt to learn to play other versions of solitaire.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Solitaire Forever does have one advantage over Klondike Forever: it keeps track of the number of hands you have played for each form of solitaire.

In Solitaire Forever you:
1) click on the setup icon in the upper right corner.
2) in the center select the form of solitaire you wish to look up if the currently selected form of solitaire is not the one you wish to view.
3) near the bottom right corner you will see the number of hands you've played along with your number of wins and losses, along with your last score (the count of cards you had played to the foundation) and your current average score.

Wait...I downloaded Klondike Forever again to check: it did a similar count as does Solitaire Forever but I never noticed it. Oh well, so many things to NOT notice....