What TV series are you currently watching?

Music and video: analog or digital
ukimalefu
Title: Screen toucher

Post by ukimalefu »

Star Trek Lower Decks is great

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Sharpe (eMule) Never saw the full series so I thought I'd try. Not nearly as good as I thought. A bit cheap. Soldiers get tapped by the broad side of a sabre and writhe in agony. Kind of a 70s Dr Who vibe about it. Mr Bean is good, though.

Pyke notte thy nostrellys
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Star Wars Visions

An anthology anime series inspired by Star Wars

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Foundation, 2021, AppleTV

Well, perhaps a telling credit is "Based on...."

Of course there are a lot of elements that appeared in these first two episodes that were not in the original novel(s? I don't know how far they will go). There is a HUGE space elevator above Trantor with an orbital platform several times the size of any football stadium (though as usually depicted that platform appears to be in low Trantor orbit about a few hundred miles up. Perhaps it maintains its low location through a combination of anti-grav and engines which, in turn, makes ORBITAL docking a problem but perhaps the Empire is THAT profligate in its resources?). Also love and sex make appearances. While Isaac Asimov's daughter Robyn gets a top credit as a producer, I have no idea as to how much influence she exerted on the script to preserve her father's vision (though there is a non-Foundation storyline appearing in episode 2...).

The story begins upon some backwater planet which appeared to be mostly aquaculture based. Lou Llobell plays Gaal (pronounced like Gail) Dornick, a fish out of water in that we eventually learn that scientists and thinkers in general are all but outlawed on this planet. Fortunately for Gaal she has been granted a math scholarship with Hari Seldon (Jared Harris) which allows her to travel to Trantor where things already have gotten hot for Seldon because of psychohistory. The emperorS themselves have taken a personal interest given that Seldon had announced the fall of Trantor within a few centuries.

That plural is deliberate in that the current emperor, Cleon XII (Lee Pace) is the clone of Cleon XI (Terrance Mann) who appears to be in his 60s or 70s and gets to putter about not worrying too much about governing (which doesn't mean he is reluctant to give Cleon XII advice). There is also his son-clone Cleon XIII (Cassian Bilton) who is about 10 years old who mostly gets to watch to learn. When in private--they are never completely alone--they refer to each other as Dawn, Day, and Dusk, while everyone else uses the term "Empire" when speaking to each alone or collectively to all three.

There are lots of departures from Asimov's original storyline, one of which is how Asimov had centered his story upon Hari Seldon so when Seldon is sent into exile at Terminus we do not hear about Trantor for a long time. In this series apparently we will get to see a relatively quick fall of Trantor in that the storyline periodically switches back to Trantor and the court intrigue there.

I guess I'm in this for the long haul. I like some of the introduced elements like the emperor-clones and dislike others, but I am more favorably inclined so far.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

While looking for Foundation I came across Schmigadoon! (2021, AppleTV) of which I had seen a sample during Keegan-Michael Key's last appearance on Stephen Colbert's "The Late Show" recently.

Key plays Josh opposite Cecily Strong's Melissa. The series begins with their rather (though purely metaphorically) magical romance: how they met, their first anniversary together, their somewhat dreary bed a subsequent two years after that. To save their relationship they undergo an extended nature walk somewhere rural within New England(?) which was presented to them as an adventure to renew their romance but quickly turned into a disaster when they are drenched by unexpected rain.

Josh and Melissa are furiously arguing with each other when they hear also unexpected church bells (recall: rural countryside). If only to seek temporary shelter from the rain they cross a small stone bridge extending into the fog...

...to emerge on the other side in a bright sunny day seeing a sign welcoming them to Schmigadoon! (yes, that exclamation point was not added by me). They go into the town square where they are greeted by the whole town in the program's opening number. While Melissa is rather pleased by all of this (in that dreary bedroom scene she was watching [with headphones] "An American in Paris" while Josh slept), Josh stage-whispers to Melissa that he hates musicals.

While most of Schmigadoon!'s residents are quite welcoming, Melissa and Josh are also regarded with great suspicion as "outsiders" by the parson's wife, Mildred Layton (played wonderfully by Kristen Chenoweth whom I suspect had encountered too many Mildreds over her lifetime).

After spending a night in separate rooms--by the intervention of Mildred (the setting is within a 1940s musical and the couple is unmarried)--and a breakfast song and dance, Josh and Melissa quickly make their way to the hill upon which they emerged only to find at the top that the road there also goes to Schmigadoon! During their confusion in pops a leprechaun (Martin Short) who sings a short number which explains they cannot leave until they each find True Love.

The musical staging is performed quite brilliantly though simply and not particularly memorably. While I do not QUITE hate musicals as Josh does, I am a bit uncertain if I will continue.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Again while looking through the offerings at AppleTV I came across Titans, 2018-2020, apparently originally on Hulu but (only?) the first season for free on AppleTV.

You might think that this could be based on Teen Titans, the animated series that originally appeared on Cartoon Network from 2003 through 2008. Well, you wouldn't be completely wrong but Titans is a MUCH grittier program being rated TV-MA entirely through violent depictions.

The first episode (which is all I have seen so far) features an origin story for Robin (of "Batman and") which I had never heard before, while not yet describing how the other Titans came to be.

Lt. Dick Greyson has transferred from the Gotham PD to that of Detroit. It has been years since Batman had retired publicly and Robin made any appearances, BUT to stop a drug deal from being completed Robin intervenes. This is captured on surveillance cameras. The mayor responds to that footage by hoping that Robin was only on his way through HIS town, calling upon any caped vigilantes to leave. I suspect that the illicit drug involved will play an important role later.

Meanwhile a teenaged girl outside of Chicago(?) has been having troubling re-occurring dreams which--unknown to her--featured the circumstances by which Dick Greyson became the ward of Bruce Wayne. In the daytime she is troubled by visions--mostly by seeing reflected images of herself--telling her to give in to temptation though she has no clear understanding of what that might entail. She runs away from home after her putative mother is forced to tell her that she is not her mother after which the gunman doing that forcing shoots her mother in the head. The girl first gives into her temptation, in essence taking control over that gunman and forcing him to die in an otherwise unexplained manner. She buys a bus ticket to Detroit where she eventually encounters Lt. Greyson to whom she tries to explain how she knows how his parents had died.

In the third storyline: outside of Vienna, Austria, a young woman is awakened sitting inside a car that had headlong crashed into a tree along a rural road, killing the driver. She apparently is suffering from amnesia of some degree in that she has no recollection of why she was in that crashed car, but she is forced to flee the car when inexplicably some gunmen start firing upon her while their car is hundreds of meters away. Over a short time she learns her identity and discovers that she had the whole top floor in an expensive hotel. While not yet explained, she had been looking for that girl mentioned above. Doing this had created a rift between her and her boyfriend who apparently is a crime lord who sent those gunmen after her. After completing her business with her boyfriend and some of his henchmen using a most violent method (which partly explains why those same gunmen had started to fire upon her from such a long way off), presumably she will be on her way to Detroit.

In a very short sequence at the very end, a security guard--watching over some sort of general store which had closed for the night--hears some odd noises coming from the aisle which held some plastic boxes holding either video DVDs or game cartridges. He follows the noises to around a corner to see at some distance a tiger who overall is tinted green. He fires his gun at said tiger who looks up, gives something of a tigerly shrug and escapes through the way by which he entered the store. A short distance away within some woods the tiger transforms back into a naked human (which COULD NOT happen in Teen Titans), searches himself to find that plastic box he had carried out. He grins to himself and walks off-camera.

So...intriguing enough that I might continue for at least as long as I can get free episodes (and maybe pay for some too).

TOS

Post by TOS »

DEyncourt wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:10 pm

You might think that this could be based on Teen Titans, the animated series that originally appeared on Cartoon Network from 2003 through 2008. Well, you wouldn't be completely wrong but Titans is a MUCH grittier program being rated TV-MA entirely through violent depictions.

i used to watch the cartoon with my kids, absolutely frigging loved it

kind of ruined the gritty-ass dc universe for me, to be honest ... just so hilarious

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
TOS

Post by TOS »

introducing my son to the star trek universe ... a couple episodes of the original series, mostly doing next generation right now (we also did the tng movie with the borg)

the kid (10) really loves it, i'm actually very impressed by how well most of it holds up after 30 years

eventually we'll move on to ds9 ... i sincerely hope he enjoys it half as much as i do

he's surprisingly spiritual, so the religious tolerance subtext will interest him, methinks

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I took a look at Star Trek: Lower Decks (2020-present, Paramount+). AppleTV offers the first episode for free.

It's...OK. Somewhat amusing but not enough for me to buy the required subscription (first week for free, $10/month afterward which is for Paramount+, not just for "Lower Decks"). Oh, by watching this episode my account counter has started. I did not need to buy anything BUT AppleTV does have my account info. I trust that I might get some notice somewhere asking if I want to subscribe to Paramount+ and not get billed automatically.

--

While browsing through the MANY options on AppleTV, there is a listing of the various streaming channels with which AppleTV has made agreements. In the initial list there is just a handful of the majors like Netflix and Amazon Prime, but beyond that there is a separate alphabetic list which include some that I have heard of like Peacock (NBC's of course) and a WHOLE BUNCH that I have never even seen before (or at least their logos were unrecognized by me).

Altogether there are now 99 channels, so an even 100 when AppleTV is included. Man, I thought that few hundred channels--with nothing to watch--on cable TV was a problem.

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Foundation

After watching the first two episodes (and not having read the books) I like it. Not much happened, they mostly have been setting up the universe the story will develop in.

Robert
Title: Dandy Highwayman

Post by Robert »

I watched Foundation and liked it. I know there's a lot of rancor about the pace or how the script is deviating from the source material, but I could not care less. At this point I want to see well-done, interesting sci fi that does not rely on "The Chosen One" or tweens with emergent powers -- the playing field is saturated with these overdone tropes.

"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Lego Star Wars Terrifying Tales

AKA the halloween special (so not really a series, but a few separate stories)

Very cool

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

So I'm watching this series called 'Travelers'. In season 2 (2017) *SPOILER ALERT* a world pandemic is introduced in the early 21st century...

(ok, that's not really a spoiler if you don't know who or why)

But yay for when sci-fi reflects reality... Image

DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

ukimalefu wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:32 am

'Travelers'

That's a good show, despite some massive plot holes.

intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

I'm waiting for the 3rd season of The Boyz, and am going to be starting Squid Game.

"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Robert

Post by Robert »

Squid Game was fun, but man there were a lot of nowhere subplots going on.
Starting Fear of the Walking Dead season 5, and probably gonna rewatch Ted Lasso season 2.

sean
Title: Royal Wombat

Post by sean »

ukimalefu wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:02 pm

Star Trek Lower Decks is great

I've just started watching Season 1. It's ... shockingly good.

Resident Photoshop Guru & Car Guy
justine

Post by justine »

Robert wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:54 pm

Squid Game was fun, but man there were a lot of nowhere subplots going on.

Haven't started it just yet, but i'm hearing really good things about it, including that's on the fast track to be the #1 streamed show ever.

"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
TOS

Post by TOS »

just finished season 1 of ds9 ... i never noticed before how amazing their portrayal of kids in space is

they get bored, they get into trouble, they're blind to race (in this case species)

neat to see the show through a kid's eyes

jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Caught up on Foundation. It’s been a number of years since I read the books, and I’m quite enjoying it mostly because of the differences. The Genetic Dynasty is an inspired addition. The show doesn’t always quite make sense, but it’s so gorgeous I just don’t care. I also appreciated the accurate celestial navigation in the last episode.

Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

Just got down with all 8 seasons of The Black List. I kinda feel the show really lost its way beginning in season 7 and was just a mess by the end. Honestly, so much back and forth about who is the mom, who is the dad, blah blah blah.
Too much ping ponging back and forth till I just stopped caring and ground through that last season just to find out where it all ended. The ending was entirely unsatisfying.

Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Watched Midnight Mass on Netflix. I started it a couple of weeks back, but it lost me. Something I read told me to try again. So, this show doesn't drop its hook until the end of the third episode. If you can get that far, the show will deliver. But geeze, it shouldn't have taken that long.

Aaron_R

Post by Aaron_R »

Final season of Shameless (US) & Season 3 of HBOs Succession

Its easy to know what you are against, quite an honour to know what you are for.
justine

Post by justine »

Still haven't started Squid Game yet, but also want to watch Clickbait.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I saw that AppleTV has an option to download episodes of "Foundation". I started it for episode 6 but stopped it when the downloaded file was 1.2GBs in size and it wasn't done yet. Maybe when I try it later I might see that I was close to completion, but I chose to upgrade my MBP to Monterey instead.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Watching Invasion on ATV+. Two episodes in. I really hate when shows don't have a very clear direction.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Robert wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:00 am

Watching Invasion on ATV+. Two episodes in. I really hate when shows don't have a very clear direction.

Thanks. That's a clear sign of "not for me".

--

I have been watching "Titans" via HBOmax on Chrome on my MBP. I have gotten to episode 6 (I think) and the writers haven't yet completed their origins stories (despite having an episode literally titled "Origins"). Plod plod plod.... Each episode is only 45 minutes or so.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

DEyncourt wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:12 am

I saw that AppleTV has an option to download episodes of "Foundation". I started it for episode 6 but stopped it when the downloaded file was 1.2GBs in size and it wasn't done yet. Maybe when I try it later I might see that I was close to completion, but I chose to upgrade my MBP to Monterey instead.

Well, that's a lesson.

I did complete the download and installation of Monterey. It seems to be running fine...BUT in AppleTV I no longer have the option to download episodes of "Foundation". <grumph>

To be sure: the download wasn't particularly important to me. I used that option just to see how large each episode was.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Now that the "Foundation" TV series has gone COMPLETELY off the rails: I've been re-reading "Foundation". I am only on page 114 out of 296. The book's storyline at this point some 30 years in the future of the TV series.

Aside from the MANY science concepts that were added by the TV series:

• Gaal Dornick is a young man. Well, the book was written in the 1950s. There are practically no details given of his life on the planet Synnax, only that he came from there.

• Hari Seldon and Gaal Dornick NEVER meet the emperor. Instead Asimov only hints about the "boy emperor" existing at the palace grounds. Instead they are taken to a supreme council which is headed by the de facto emperor, the head of one of the several clans which support the imperial realm. Nearly EVERYTHING in the TV series concerning Trantor, the emperor and "family" has been written by the show runners. I must admit that they have done a good job to make that story fascinating.

• in the book Trantor is the Imperial Planet in that ALL 40 billion of its inhabitants work in service for the Empire. There are no farmers, no fishermen, no miners. There are teachers for children, guides for visitors, police to catch criminals, gardeners for the Imperial Garden, but all these folk are--more or less (in)directly--working for the Empire. Asimov makes it a point that this arrangement of whole surrounding planets dedicated just to supply the Imperial Planet with food and other materiel makes Trantor extremely vulnerable to the least disruption even while the immense power of the Empire has been demonstrated by its ability to maintain this huge and complex bureaucracy.

• the book jumps from that council meeting to a half-century later on Terminus. Hari and Gaal are long dead. Hari died before the Foundation Project left Trantor (he told Gaal that he had only months to live but did not explain why). Gaal authored a biography of Hari which became a tiny fragment in the Encyclopedia Galactica project for the Foundation on Terminus. There is no description of the journey from Trantor to Terminus so that is a show runner supplement to which I am ambivalent--it worked for me when it aids Hari's ASIMOV'S vision, but the weird story aspects that are continuing--I fear--are adding inexplicable mystical elements.

• The mysterious Vault on Terminus is a show runner addition along with its mystical power that affects all except for the Warden of Terminus, Salvor Hardin (who is a man in the book). I rather dislike all of the mystical elements that the show runners have added as they are definitely contrary to Asimov's vision of this future. There is no Huntress of Anacreon, no mystical "fate" guiding these people, only the seemingly--from the outside--mystical but purely mathematical mechanics of psychohistory. Only a handful of mathematicians out of the trillions of humans in the galaxy can understand psychohistory well enough, AND Hari made sure that only ONE psychohistorian got to Terminus and he taught his students only its bare fundamentals (presumably the Empire simply stopped the teaching of psychohistory, period, since its ideas were labeled treasonous). This and other steps were done purposefully because even psychohistory can be mucked up by just a little foreknowledge which may become problematic given the end of episode 7 (but I have a possible solution:

Spoiler

while in the TV series Gaal had proclaimed that she can see the future, the VERY problematic computer projection of Hari will explain that she is mistaken: it is her clear understanding of psychohistory that allows her the ability to project at least lines into the future without being able to know exact details. Perhaps at this point Hari will provide my explanation from the book above EXCEPT that Hari did say that he had expected Gaal to lead the Foundation Project on Terminus

).

• There is an actual Vault in the book, but it is Hari Seldon's memorial and is not mentioned until page 85. Asimov uses this by having Hari Seldon appear to the Foundation in periodic recordings during which he lays out what is NOW happening as predicted by psychohistory but, of course, only in general terms. Obviously the TV series' show runners have chosen drastically different paths for their Vault. I am not a mind reader so I will not venture a guess what they plan to do.

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Watched the first episode of Star Trek prodigy

It looks great

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

I continued with "Titans" but by watching the series for "free" through HBOmax using Chrome as my browser (basically paying for access through my cable subscription to HBO).

Last night I finished season 1. There are 4 seasons, the fourth of which has just begun showing new episodes a couple of weeks ago.

Well...it's no longer plodding. Definitely not for TOS' kids until maybe they get to their late teens for the explicit violence and implied sex (no display of sexual organs but there is lots of shadow-work to hide clearly naked bodies except for butts).

The series has a habit of ending each episode with very dramatic cliffhanger(s) including the season ender which is more dramatic than any of them. While I had been telling my friend that I hadn't developed any habits of binge-watching, last night I watched from episode 7 through 11, so 5 episodes in one sitting ("Guilty, your honor").

I do like the complex character developments. Dick Greyson/Robin has a complex tale to tell with lots of conflicts--personal and otherwise with Batman (who only appears as a distant figure in some of the backstory segments about how Greyson got adopted by Bruce Wayne). While I had complained that the series was taking its time to explain the backstories of the main characters, I now have a more complete story for Garfield Logan/Beast Boy (though so far he has transformed only into a tiger). The backgrounds for Rachel Roth/Raven and Kory Anders/Starfire are STILL incomplete because both are closely intertwined with the season clifhanger.

There has been the introduction of Donna Troy/Wonder Girl who had been Wonder Woman's sidekick, though instead of giving her full flying powers as happened in the Wonder Woman movies, Wonder Girl merely has extraordinary athletic abilities such as being able to leap maybe 15 feet upward (well, at least that was what was displayed). Her relationship with Greyson is that they spent part of their childhoods together after Bruce Wayne adopted Greyson, but HER background is incomplete so far (who is her father? Are Donna Troy and Dick Greyson almost brother/sister to each other because Bruce Wayne is her father? How long did she spent in Wayne Manor: a summer/winter? A few years?).

I must continue to watch to resolve that big cliffhanger. Given the series' pacing I suspect that this could take a half-season to complete (if even then).

Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Doctor Who (BBC America), new season just started. It's a 6 episode miniseries. Quite apocalyptic so far.

Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Well, what AppleTV took away, AppleTV gave back.

In looking at the listing for Foundation, episode 8, I saw that I had an option AGAIN to download it. After watching it (more story completely away from the book), I downloaded it. When I tried it before the download was only at 1.2 GBs, but it had stopped and hadn't been moved from its original download location of:

[account name]>Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Downloads-TV>[name of episode].tmp>download.movpkg

The completed downloads are located in:

[account name]>Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>TV Shows>Foundation>Season 1>[name of episode].movpkg

Irritatingly there isn't an indexing number to preface the episodes in order. I tried adding one and it got erased when I tried to play it. <sigh> I made a TextEdit list.

The *.movpkg files are playable by dropping them onto the AppleTV program (which you have in your Dock, right?). Double-clicking on them will do the same. You cannot drop the file onto the open AppleTV window (that does nothing).

I also downloaded episode 7, "Mysteries and Martyrs". It was only 1 GB. And episode 1, "The Emperor_s Peace". It was 1.5 GB.

Well, those didn't take long. I probably can download the rest in less than an hour.

Episode 2 was 1.4 GB.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Last week I tried to watch the new episode (# 7) starting at 12 midnight PDT.

Tonight on Thursday I decided to try earlier, trying to determine when viewing might become available.

At 5 pm PDT AppleTV still had episode 8 listed as being available on 11/5.

At around 7 pm PDT I saw could download it. I started it then went to eat dinner then but there were problems. When I returned at around 10 pm to my MBP I saw that the download had restarted twice more but all three were incomplete, being stuck in that Downloads folder.

So I'm not sure when downloading or viewing might start. 7 pm PDT is probably too early, so maybe by 9 pm PDT on the night before?

BTW: episode 3 is 1.1 GB.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

All 8 of the currently available episodes of Foundation were 10 GB collectively. I am guessing that these files are SO protected by DRM such that it would be useless for me to send them to even another subscriber of AppleTV or even to attempt to run them with any other program on my MBP. It was just an exercise on my part.

macnuke
Title: PureBleed

Post by macnuke »

Bought the discounted HBOmax for 6 months.
Started the West Wing series

People that do not succeed in politics usually tell the truth too often.

jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Caught For All Mankind Season 2. I enjoyed season one but season two was a much better show character wise-and that final episode was just phenomenal television. Ronald Moore’s experience with episodic television really shone through in the season’s structure. May he continue making science fiction for a very long time.

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Kevin Can fiddlesticks Himself (eMule, AMC) Genius.

Pyke notte thy nostrellys
justine

Post by justine »

Put everything aside so i can get caught up on Yellowstone. Im on;y halfway thru season 2 and season 4 just started.

Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Finished Falcon and the Winter Soldier. I enjoyed it.

Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.