Apple’s WWDC 2021

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
ukimalefu
Title: not a webp fan

Post by ukimalefu »

That was it

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Things apple left out of the keynote

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06 ... t-mention/

(my mini (late 2014) is supported by Monterey? hahaha, blatherskite, maybe if it had 4 times the ram and an SSD, but no thanks)

-

When you copy files, you'll see "a new pie chart progress window" that Apple claims will give a better sense of how long the files will take to copy. Further, you can stop a large copy action and resume it at a later time.

Now, Macs are getting low-power mode, too. Apple says this toggle reduces system clock speed and display brightness to achieve longer battery life.

starting with Monterey, there will be another option previously seen on iOS and iPadOS devices: erase all content and settings.

Located in System Preferences, this option will allow you to erase all data and apps associated with a user from a Mac without having to reinstall the operating system. "Because storage is always encrypted on Mac systems with Apple silicon or the T2 chip," Apple's macOS page says, "the system is instantly and securely 'erased' by destroying the encryption keys."

Passwords are moving to a new "Passwords" section in System Preferences, similar to how they are located in a top-level Settings app page on iOS and iPadOS. You'll also be able to either import passwords from other password managers or export your iCloud passwords for use in those other managers.

Better still for those who live on multiple desktop operating systems, you'll soon be able to manage iCloud passwords on Windows PCs with a new app called "iCloud Passwords," which is included in iCloud for Windows. Apple is also introducing an iCloud Passwords extension for Microsoft's Edge browser.

According to Apple's documentation on the new version of macOS (and iOS), Safari now "automatically upgrades sites known to support HTTPS from insecure HTTP."

Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

I do like that feature to fully erase a users files. That could be handy.

Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Several macOS Monterey features will not run on Intel Macs. There is an update at the end of the linked article which says that the Intel Macs lack the Neural Engine which all of these features require.

maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

DEyncourt wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:21 pm

Several macOS Monterey features will not run on Intel Macs. There is an update at the end of the linked article which says that the Intel Macs lack the Neural Engine which all of these features require.

We all knew Intel Macs were going to be obsoleted fast, so this isn't really a surprise. Apple doesn't want you using a Mac that is more than a few years old.

It will be a sad day when Intel Macs are relegated to Linux, though.

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

maurvir wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:17 pm
DEyncourt wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:21 pm

We all knew Intel Macs were going to be obsoleted fast, so this isn't really a surprise. Apple doesn't want you using a Mac that is more than a few years old.

It will be a sad day when Intel Macs are relegated to Linux, though.

and windows :p

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

iDaemon
Title: infinitely loopy

Post by iDaemon »

I read a similar ‘liveblog’ of the event on a mainstream Mac-focused site as uki posted here. (Thanks uki)

The thing that struck me was that because Apple controls/makes both HW and SW they are exemplars of the maxim that “Everything is deeply intertwingled” and they are moving toward that mythical execution of the interface melting away.

Anyway I thought this kind of thing done by folks like our own users here using Swift was kinda cool.

https://twitter.com/shubham_iosdev/stat ... 17441?s=21

Which reminds me that as we approach the 20-year anniversary of the S. Jobs iPod intro I think he’d be glad that “podcast” is a common term and everyone knows what it is. Just as much as the Apple II or Mac or iPhone - and the various terms associated with those devices - are common knowledge in the tech landscape.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

https://kottke.org/18/02/a-list-of-25-p ... rry-barlow
Lombo
Title: Opiophile

Post by Lombo »

The most awaited feature for me is the one which will make your iPhone still track able with findmy even if it is powered off. I had my previous iPhone stolen and would have loved to have this enabled.