amazing science/nature images

How's life?
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

juice wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:58 pm

Impressive. Is that copper?

My guess--considering the mildly acidic environment inside the human mouth--that copper is NOT likely. It would be like having a older copper penny in your mouth all the time.

More probable is gold mixed with something to give it strength, at most 14 karats in purity.

TOS

Post by TOS »

i assumed it was gold

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
ukimalefu
Title: not a webp fan

Post by ukimalefu »

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Tasmanian giant crab

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Pithecanthropus
Title: Roast Master

Post by Pithecanthropus »

And of course they used a spacey sounding synth voice. Let's hear the same thing done on distorted electric guitar. Or drums.

set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
TOS

Post by TOS »

viewing map of this week's eclipse

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Elephant gets a prosthetic leg

https://imgur.com/Ld4JIHt

Video has the music from Titanic, for some reason. It sounds sad. They should have chosen something more happy sounding.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Technically it ain't an image, but this version of Scientific American's 60 Second Science had some nice audio images.

To be sure, the podcast begins a 30 second commercial, but do yourself a favor and listen. While the link includes a transcript of the podcast, that doesn't fully convey the enthusiam of researcher Bray (for whom I would WANT to be a very good puppy).

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Llamas at the beach (or maybe it's alpacas? I can never tell the difference)

MUTE the sound, it's just loud wind noise.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qu99 ... yk4k9o.mp4

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Russian scientists revive a bdelloid rotifer which had been frozen inside permafrost for about 24 K years:

"Hey, look: it is able to eat and reproduce normally and...just a second...." <SIGNAL LOST>

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Video drone catches a herd of 15 elephants napping.

In Chinese with English subtitles.

Authorities in Yunnan province in southwestern China have been tracking this herd. The drone over the sleeping elephants was stationed at over a thousand feet in order to not disturb them.

TOS

Post by TOS »

that's really sweet

TOS

Post by TOS »

jupiter's moon ganymede, as imaged by the juno mission

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

DEyncourt wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:45 pm

Authorities in Yunnan province in southwestern China have been tracking this herd. The drone over the sleeping elephants was stationed at over a thousand feet in order to not disturb them.

Interesting. I thought they were like horses and sleep standing up.

And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Séamas wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:39 pm

Me too.

PERHAPS these elephants--who live in human-infested areas--have learned that they could go to the trouble of lying down because they mostly (entirely?) lack active predators (well, except for humans), unlike their brethren living further south in Asia or in Africa.

Maybe elephants in zoos lie down? Or probably they can hear/smell/see nearby predators so they don't take the chance.

Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

DEyncourt wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:31 am
Séamas wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:39 pm

Me too.

PERHAPS these elephants--who live in human-infested areas--have learned that they could go to the trouble of lying down because they mostly (entirely?) lack active predators (well, except for humans), unlike their brethren living further south in Asia or in Africa.

Maybe elephants in zoos lie down? Or probably they can hear/smell/see nearby predators so they don't take the chance.

Looking it up I see that horses do lay down to get REM sleep, but they only need a short time of it--and one of the herd will stand lookout.
I suspect elephants can do some sleeping standing as well, but likely need to lay down to get some good REM type sleep.
I've seen a rhino at the Bronx zoo sleeping laying down.
Best part: before getting up it made a huge fart--which disturbed the hay-dust on the ground so it looked like a big fart cloud.

And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Heh.

Long ago I had taken some of my sister's friends from Germany to the San Diego Zoo (they specifically wanted to go there). There we got to see a hippo standing inside his enclosure. He lifted his tail nearly straight up and let out a massive fart which we could hear THEN smell only seconds later (we might have happened to be downwind). It was...unpleasant.

justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

This landed on my hand yesterday. It startled me and it flew to the gate. I was able to grab my phone and take a few pics. I don't know if i'm more amazed at the dragonfly or that i actually took a great pic.

"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

it's a very good pic

Aaron_R

Post by Aaron_R »

justine wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:20 pm

This landed on my hand yesterday. It startled me and it flew to the gate. I was able to grab my phone and take a few pics. I don't know if i'm more amazed at the dragonfly or that i actually took a great pic.

Good call, what you've got their is a 12 spotted skimmer. Also for the future references the easiest way to tell if it is indeed a dragonfly is to look at the wings. If the wings are like in your photo it is a dragon fly, if the wings are folded up against another it is not a dragon fly but a damsel fly.

I think most adults can tell just by the size of the insect alone (damsel fly being dwarfs in comparison). The above is a useful thing to tell your younger children if you go out for a hike and you see them flying around. It's a teachable moment and every time they see one they will likely chime in with much excitement if it is one or not. ;)

Its easy to know what you are against, quite an honour to know what you are for.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

justine, you may check with your local science museum and see if they want a copy of your pic (which is EXCELLENT).

There is a recently started local (around LA) project where our equivalent museums are asking for such pics of local flora and fauna.

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Glass Fracturing At 5 Million Frames Per Second

And the cracks still look fast

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

This color-enhanced picture, originally taken by NASA’s Magellan spacecraft, shows part of Alpha Regio, a tessera on Venus. Tesserae are extremely distressed areas of terrain that may be the oldest regions of the Venusian surface, having survived a period of extreme volcanic activity that re-surfaced the rest of the planet. DAVINCI+, one of NASA’s two new Discovery-class missions to Venus, will study Alpha Regio to test the hypothesis that the tessera plateaus are analogs of Earth’s continents, one of the many intriguing questions this pair of missions will seek to answer. Image credit: NASA/JPL.

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Perseverance Mars Rover’s Mastcam-Z View of 'Van Zyl Overlook' (360 video + audio)

You can drag to look around. In full screen only, use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out (that's for a desktop browser, Chrome in my case)

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Johnny 5 is alive!, I mean, here's Perseverance.

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

"A Lobster Diver In Cape Cod Says A Humpback Whale Scooped Him Up And Spat Him Out".

Video tweet of a short statement that diver gave after being released from hospital.

"ACK! What was that thing that I swallowed??? PTOOEEE!"