new laptop batteries

Online now: Google [Bot]
So I got this new battery for my old G4 iBook.

Its got a good charge, but not one in line with this computer as brand new. Clearly this battery might have been sitting on a shelf for a few weeks or months so I wasnt expecting an entirely full charge but is there some kind of utility that would find out for me if things are being reported correctly or ....I...really dont know what I'm talking about.

POST NOW
Zapski Gaze into my eyes...
Apple System Profiler will give you a cycle count (and more) under Tiger and better.
more or less friend or foe?
Banned User(s)
Marc wrote:
So I got this new battery for my old G4 iBook.

Its got a good charge, but not one in line with this computer as brand new. Clearly this battery might have been sitting on a shelf for a few weeks or months so I wasnt expecting an entirely full charge but is there some kind of utility that would find out for me if things are being reported correctly or ....I...really dont know what I'm talking about.

POST NOW

If you ever bothered to RTFM, you'd know that you are supposed to deplete your batteries entire charge 3 times in a row, fully recharging it each time.

After that, you'll have a better gauge of whether its crap, or just got a charge/memory issue. Especially on one that's been idle for some time.
KeilwerthSX90 der Zorn Gottes
more or less wrote:
If you ever bothered to RTFM, you'd know that you are supposed to deplete your batteries entire charge 3 times in a row, fully recharging it each time.

The stick fiddling Manual states:
Important: You need to fully discharge and then charge your battery only once to calibrate it. After that, you can connect and disconnect the power adapter when the battery is at any charge level.

more or less friend or foe?
Banned User(s)
KeilwerthSX90 wrote:
more or less wrote:

The stick fiddling Manual states:
Important: You need to fully discharge and then charge your battery only once to calibrate it. After that, you can connect and disconnect the power adapter when the battery is at any charge level.

Ah yes, I'll go with that then. ;) I think when I typed the 3 times I was remembering instruction for NIMH battery conditioning. Stupid memory.

My bad, thanks for the clarification.

ref: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

new laptop batteries