Don't feel like driving? Don't!

Online now: Google [Bot]
oatmeal with raisins
Wired.com:
Video: Taking A Spin With the Robot Champion of DARPA's Urban Challenge
By Eliot Van Buskirk EmailJanuary 22, 2008

GM and Carnegie-Mellon's robot driver, called "Boss," took top honors at the DARPA 2007 Urban Challenge competition last November. The competition pitted 11 autonomous vehicles against each other and a 55-mile course filled with stop signs, human-driven cars, and other obstacles typically found in an urban environment.
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/01/v ... ing-a.html

The guy in the video is saying that we might first see a derivitive of the "Boss" system in commercial vehicles in 10 years.
Zapski Gaze into my eyes...
I'd like that system if only to eliminate drunk drivers. And old folks who are paranoid about speed or can't see well at night. Overall, I'd say I'm all for it (as long as I can keep my stick)
dv
It won't save us from drunk drivers; I'm guessing people will still be held responsible for what their car does while they're in it.

Otherwise, you can't make money issuing tickets.
Zapski Gaze into my eyes...
Drat, good point.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
anti-drunk car from nissan

http://uk.gizmodo.com/2006/09/15/antidr ... issan.html

Quote:
Nissan is hoping to prevent things getting too far by developing an anti-drunk car that won’t even bother starting until you’ve passed some kind of tests. At the moment, this might involve breathing into a straw-like tube on the driver’s side which will breathalyse you and then decide whether or not you are sober enough to drive. If not, the engine remains dead.

obvs My password is "contraseña"
This would have come in handy about a decade ago.

I never wanted to drive. I was scared to drive.
Ah yes, the ubiquitous "ten year" prediction for amazing new technology. Artificial intelligence, robot maids, cure for cancer, and now autopilot cars.

:: pencils in date ::
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Anyone who watches the Simpsons knows that truck drivers have had automatic drivers for years.
Dan Airman Dan
uki wrote:

Quote:
Nissan is hoping to prevent things getting too far by developing an anti-drunk car that won’t even bother starting until you’ve passed some kind of tests. At the moment, this might involve breathing into a straw-like tube on the driver’s side which will breathalyse you and then decide whether or not you are sober enough to drive. If not, the engine remains dead.

That's not new, but it is a huge invasion of privacy. Listerine will make you fail that test.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Dan wrote:
uki wrote:

Quote:

That's not new, but it is a huge invasion of privacy. Listerine will make you fail that test.

How is it invasion of privacy? Unless the information is made public, I don't think it is. Also, the device should be optional.
Dan Airman Dan
I believe several states have already made it mandatory for DUI offenders.

It's an invasion of privacy because the government has no business forcing me to submit to a sobriety check to operate my personal property on my personal property. If they want to have DUI checkpoints at the end of every driveway, so be it. But if I have a 4-acre backyard and I want to drive a Jeep on it drunk as a skunk, the government has no business interfering. Likewise, if I have a 10-foot carport and I want to use mouthwash in the morning, the government has no business interfering there, either.

Basically, such things are a presumption of guilt. Backwards and unconstitutional.
Shut the fiddlesticks up dan.

Try having your friend get plowed over by someone hammered at 10 am on a weekday.

If you want to tool around in a jeep or 4x4 or a golf cart stick fiddled up on your own piece of land, you better have not gotten stick fiddled up and got caught driving home on a real street where you will probably kill a real person. I don't think thats too hard to ask. fiddlesticks you dan.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Don't feel like driving? Don't!