Time Warner Cable to introduce caps, starting at just 5GB

Online now: Google [Bot]
obvs precoupado
from multichannel.com:
Time Warner Cable is targeting the small number of subscribers who eat up most of its Internet bandwidth, with plans to test a new tiered pricing structure for broadband access later this year in Beaumont, Texas, that will charge customers based on how much data they download.

The operator plans to offer four different packages that would cap monthly data downloads at 5, 10, 20 or 40 Gigabytes, according to Time Warner Cable spokesman Alex Dudley. As of yet, there’s no unlimited option planned for the trial. Pricing has not been determined for the tiers, he said.

The Beaumont system provides service to around 90,000 voice, video and data subscribers in 15 towns. In the region, the operator currently offers unlimited-usage broadband service for $44.95 to cable TV customers and $54.95 to non-TV subscribers.

5GB/month is only about 165MB/day! :eek:
oatmeal with raisins
I hope Cox doesn't start this crap too. It's all we've got around here and I use more than 165mb a day. With iTMS rentals, it's likely to go up even more.
user Stupid cockwomble
This could really backfire on them if DSL providers fail to follow suit.
Dan Airman Dan
Uh, 5GB? That's about three iTunes movies. Four XP to XPSP2 updates. 1 download of the Burning Crusade from Blizzard.

Someone needs to lose their job for even suggesting such a stupid idea.
tiki Minor Prophetess
This was what it was like in the dorms I was in.

It's blatherskite because they can't actually track the data usage well enough. Spoof your neighbors' mac addresses and hey look, you can have all the bandwidth you want.

stick fiddlers.
She's mad mostly because she got spoofed right before graduation by like several times the bandwidth limit
tiki Minor Prophetess
It's a big problem with the system, as long as there is a way to spoof your mac.

And it wasn't spoofedx1. It was like 6 weeks without internet because one uncouth individual after another was spoofing me, and so I was always over the goddamn limit.

That aside, it really was annoying to have to correlate reinstalling xp with the end of the bandwidth time period to make sure the gig+ of patches xp requires didn't fiddlesticks up my ability to browse forums.

And, as already pointed out, the creation of legitimate means of acquiring large media files pretty much fucks this up. Movies are one big thing, but when you consider that the HD versions will also be available...

Yug. Seriously. If they're going to work this, they should have like a 2gb package and a 200gb package, and they should offer it as a discount if you can lower your bandwidth usage, not as a huge punishment to those who enjoy downloading movies.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Why don't they just use packet shaping after a certain point or something? Fast for the first 5 GB and then not so much after that?

Not that I like that idea, either...
KeilwerthSX90 der Zorn Gottes
Clearwire shapes like crazy, and it sucks. I'll start a download at about 1m (which is more than I'm supposed to get), then will blast down to like ~512k if it's busy. I wish I had just ponied up the extra cash for DSL or cable.

Wait. No I don't. I don't really need it.

The weird thing is that it alternates between better and worse. For a while, my bandwidth will dwindle, then I get a sudden bump. Part of adopting new technology. Overall, it's gotten consistently better since I've had it.

I hear that some people have gotten their service cut off by using P2P, but I haven't had that problem.
The biggest problem is where they've been advertising "unlimited" when it never has been.

What's probably going to happen is that this will be "external bandwidth" on content that isn't cached on their own servers. Or providers, like AT&T's Blue Room for example, will have media content that's within the company that will be "unlimited" to, but your bandwidth for when you go to YouTube will be capped.

Moar net neutrality plz. It's the only way we're going to be able to keep corporations from profiting off inane human waste.
Don't most ISPs have bandwidth caps, announced or not? I've always assumed such was the case. I know Rogers tries to cripple the use of BitTorrent.
Every ISP I've ever been on has a cap, they just dont tell you, when you flagrantly go over the limit they drop your IP every 10 min or so. There was a month where I had to move my modem/router to a separate power strip so I could easily flip it on and off in order to remedy that kind of bs.
I pumped over 50 GB a month once. Not a peep out of them. Unlimited is unlimited.

,xtG
.tsooJ
Lombo Opiofiend
5 GB is really pathetic.

I've got a 120 GB limit per month for christ sake.
moff moff Super Happy Fun Time
har! i've done 50gb in the past week

unlimited is unlimited damnit
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Don't most ISPs have bandwidth caps, announced or not? I've always assumed such was the case. I know Rogers tries to cripple the use of BitTorrent.

The whole game is based on the fact that not everyone is using the bandwidth at the same exact instant. Even during the peak time periods, you check your email and then you're reading it or download that web page and read it for a few minutes etc. Shared and not dedicated bandwidth. The fine print usually mentions something along those lines, if it doesn't the isp is a fool.
When everyone is behaving normally it works very well for everyone. The customer gets a faster connection than he is paying for and the isp can make money.
The killers are the ones that download cd's and dvd's one after the other hour after hour.
That takes dedicated and not shared bandwidth and you really aren't paying enough for that.

BTW, http://www.t1shopper.com/
check out what dedicated bandwidth costs.
Farmerkev wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

The whole game is based on the fact that not everyone is using the bandwidth at the same exact instant. Even during the peak time periods, you check your email and then you're reading it or download that web page and read it for a few minutes etc. Shared and not dedicated bandwidth. The fine print usually mentions something along those lines, if it doesn't the isp is a fool.
When everyone is behaving normally it works very well for everyone. The customer gets a faster connection than he is paying for and the isp can make money.
The killers are the ones that download cd's and dvd's one after the other hour after hour.
That takes dedicated and not shared bandwidth and you really aren't paying enough for that.

BTW, http://www.t1shopper.com/
check out what dedicated bandwidth costs.

Quote:
A T1 line is available almost anywere

Did Pariah build that site?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Time Warner Cable to introduce caps, starting at just 5GB