How do I download audio files from Soundcloud and YouTube?

Tech Talk, Tech News and Tech Support (Gadgets included)
Bren
Title: Everything went to hell after Empire.

How do I download audio files from Soundcloud and YouTube?

Post by Bren »

And before you ask, no, I am not trying to steal music I could or should be paying for:

My friend's son is in a skilled nursing facility because he was in a horrible auto crash a few months ago, and his own music that he created is on Soundcloud.

She would like me to burn his music to CD's so the nursing staff can play it for him during his long recovery process.

Does anybody recommend a good way to do this?

Regarding YouTube, I've always been a big fan of the Video DownloadHelper extension/app for Firefox, but it doesn't seem to download usable video or audio files the way it always historically has. It now tries to download videos as files with the .webm extension, which my video player/editor can't open.

Or if you manually select mp3 or mp4 as the file type you want it to download, you get a file with that extension, but it's a 1KB file, which obviously isn't the thing you need or can play.

Some of this young man's music is also on YouTube, so it would be great if I can grab his songs from there or from Soundcloud.

I don't mind paying for a downloading or converting app if need be. I just don't want to do that if it's some fly-by-night scam app, so if y'all have recommendations for ones you've used, that would be great.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated!
"Haakaa päälle!"
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Re: How do I download audio files from Soundcloud and YouTub

Post by maurvir »

I use 4K tools to download from Youtube. I believe there are similar tools for Soundcloud.

I download the long ambient mixes from YT so that I can play them when I don't have a solid Internet connection.
Bren

Post by Bren »

Thank you, I'll check that out.

It's also worth noting there are a lot of rare, out-of-print and/or never-published songs and videos on YouTube. I'd love to be able to save them so I still have them even if they get deleted from the site.
"Haakaa päälle!"
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

Bren wrote: And before you ask, no, I am not trying to steal music I could or should be paying for:

My friend's son is in a skilled nursing facility because he was in a horrible auto crash a few months ago, and his own music that he created is on Soundcloud.

She would like me to burn his music to CD's so the nursing staff can play it for him during his long recovery process.

Does anybody recommend a good way to do this?

Regarding YouTube, I've always been a big fan of the Video DownloadHelper extension/app for Firefox, but it doesn't seem to download usable video or audio files the way it always historically has. It now tries to download videos as files with the .webm extension, which my video player/editor can't open.

Or if you manually select mp3 or mp4 as the file type you want it to download, you get a file with that extension, but it's a 1KB file, which obviously isn't the thing you need or can play.

Some of this young man's music is also on YouTube, so it would be great if I can grab his songs from there or from Soundcloud.

I don't mind paying for a downloading or converting app if need be. I just don't want to do that if it's some fly-by-night scam app, so if y'all have recommendations for ones you've used, that would be great.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated!

Open the drop down menu in Video download helper.
Click on the 3 dots and arrow icon on the left.
The fourth item from the left, the arrows in a circle.
Choose Convert Local files.
At the bottom is where you specify output file type.
Choose the file(s) you want to covert, choose HQ mp3

Bobs your uncle.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

Soundcloud should have a download link if the account owner enabled it. I've downloaded things from there.

For youtube, I just google "mp3 from youtube" and find some website that does it for me. The sound quality is barely acceptable, and I blame youtube for that.
Bren

Post by Bren »

Pariah wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:26 pm
Open the drop down menu in Video download helper.
Click on the 3 dots and arrow icon on the left.
The fourth item from the left, the arrows in a circle.
Choose Convert Local files.
At the bottom is where you specify output file type.
Choose the file(s) you want to covert, choose HQ mp3

Bobs your uncle.

This solved my problem. Thank you!
"Haakaa päälle!"
Bren

Re: How do I download audio files from Soundcloud and YouTube?

Post by Bren »

Next question:

Since iTunes is likely to refuse to burn an audio CD when it detects copyrighted content, is there any free or cheap app for making audio CD's that won't try to go all Big Brother on me?

I assume Roxio Toast can do this, but that's like $89 and I would never use most of its capabilities.
"Haakaa päälle!"
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

Since iTunes is likely to refuse to burn an audio CD when it detects copyrighted content...

haha, not a problem

I mean... because all my music is legal...

but I also burned audio CDs with some version of toast, but most of the time I've used itunes. iTunes was created for this

Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

iTunes has never not let me burn a CD of songs I've ripped.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

Yeah, iTunes may suck in a lot of ways, but it doesn't care where your files came from where burning/syncing was concerned.