The Pixel 5 - now with more disappointment!

Online now: Google [Bot], juice, maurvir, ukimalefu
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11 ... comments=1

Google has managed to make a mid-range phone with the performance of a budget phone, all while charging as much as Samsung for their ad-laden monstrosity.

I may have to forgo my distaste for incessant "subscriptions" and switch to iOS. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge now, and the only thing keeping it alive at this point is a battery case. The Android world is devolving to the point where nothing feels like an upgrade anymore.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Sad how the Pixel3 was so well received but the 4 and 5 have been human waste.
iPhones kinda suck but nothing compared to the shitshow android has beco...always been.
TOS
why do iphones suck?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
why do iphones suck?

I know this is old news but I really, really hate the lack of a headphone jack and Apple makes it a hassle to set one up with out configuring touch ID or entering credit card info and the app store is a disaster area,
that and you can't get it fixed at any of the many phone repair kiosks found in malls
The iPhone 12 now has zero user-replaceable parts (which means mall kiosks). Even changing the battery will trigger software protections. Screw that - it means your $1,000 phone is effectively disposable.

I'd rather have the option to repair/salvage a "lesser" device than get sucked into that mess.
TOS
maurvir posted:
The iPhone 12 now has zero user-replaceable parts (which means mall kiosks). Even changing the battery will trigger software protections. Screw that - it means your $1,000 phone is effectively disposable.

I'd rather have the option to repair/salvage a "lesser" device than get sucked into that mess.

it's never been a problem for me

any repairs i've needed i got at the apple store for free
TOS posted:
maurvir posted:

it's never been a problem for me

any repairs i've needed i got at the apple store for free

Sure, if you have paid for AppleCare, that's the case. What happens when it expires? What happens when you want to resurrect an old phone for one of your kids?

Also, if this is the future, AppleCare should be baked into the price, not a separate add-on.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:

I am absolutely baffled by the phenomenon of lots of people being willing to spend $1,000 on a phone. I could easily afford the money but it is impossible for a phone to actually be worth that to me.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
What do you use more than your phone?
I know, that equals the sum total I paid combined for all 3 of my smartphone handsets I've purchased over the last decade. & the thing is their are people who will pay that every single year upgrading 24/7 when the new one comes out, it's beyond crazy for me to think about.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Alexander Supertramp posted:

My PC, by a long shot and I would not spend $1000 on a PC, not when I can buy one that will wildly exceed my needs for $200.
Pariah posted:

My PC, by a long shot and I would not spend $1000 on a PC, not when I can buy one that will wildly exceed my needs for $200.

Maybe a generational thing. I'm 35 this week, I actively try to use my phone less by having screen time set up etc etc, and I still use it a lot more than my computer—including my work computer. I think I'm pretty common in this.

A ~$1000 phone every two-ish years is fine. I also sell the old ones and end up mitigating a third to half of that.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Pariah posted:

Maybe a generational thing. I'm 35 this week, I actively try to use my phone less by having screen time set up etc etc, and I still use it a lot more than my computer—including my work computer. I think I'm pretty common in this.

A ~$1000 phone every two-ish years is fine. I also sell the old ones and end up mitigating a third to half of that.

Wait, so I’m not supposed to have a drawer filled with old phones that I’m definitely going to do something with “later”?
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:

Wait, so I’m not supposed to have a drawer filled with old phones that I’m definitely going to do something with “later”?

just in case!

you never know!
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:

Heh, don't worry, still got the 3G and the 4 to do so many things with later.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Pariah posted:

I just don't enjoy squinting into a very, very tiny screen. My phone is fine for communication: Texts, PMs and calls. And I like having a camera on me all the time and I listen to podcasts but nothing I do demands I have a high end phone. My SE 2020 is all the phone I need and then some.
The web just sucks so incredibly bad on a phone I only use the internet on my phone enough for basic information retrieval, certainly not entertainment.
I like kicking back in my comfy chair and enjoying movies and the web the right way with annoyance locked down browsers on my 2 24in screens, one 16:9 for movies and other video entertainment and a 16:10 for general webbing around.
Lombo Opiofiend
The iPhone Pro Max is excellent. I had to buy 2 iPhones 11 Pro this year(sucks to be me) and the first was the regular 11 pro. The difference in the screens is so much worth the bigger form factor. I got a 256gb also and can confidently say that I will wait until the iPhone 14 at least.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The Pixel 5 - now with more disappointment!