amd vs intel

Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
where do you stand on this age-old debate?
0% 0% [ 0 ]
38% 38% [ 5 ]
31% 31% [ 4 ]
31% 31% [ 4 ]
Total votes : 13
TOS
I'm getting ready to build a gaming PC, as my laptop is aging and I anticipate an Apple Silicon based replacement (probably in a lower-end model rather than the Pro) in the next year.

I'm heavily leaning AMD, because what I get for the cost just seems better. I do regret that AMD and Thunderbolt are like oil and water. But that's my only hesitation, and I'm learning strongly toward not worrying about it. I am, however, waiting for the new Zen 3 in early November.
sean Royal Wombat
I am a long time Intel guy. My current gaming rig is an i7.

That said, all my Pro-Intel arguments are getting less and less valid by the day. My next gaming rig will likely be AMD-based.
TOS
clearly i was wise to include a linux option
macnuke Afar
TOS posted:
clearly i was wise to include a linux option

yeah. they are like Vegans.

jumping in first to make sure you know they are Vegans (Linux users)
:p :lol:
Lombo Opiofiend
AMD. If you want to maximize your loonies you could get a zen 2 processor as they will get quite a price drop and it will still be ridiculously good. Personally I would get a Zen 3, specifically the Ryzen 5 3600 (269$cdn on newegg.ça)6 cores/12 thread processor (3.6/4.2 turbo). There is approx a 20% ipc gain at the same clockspeed between a zen2 and a zen3 cpu. If you need thunderbolt I saw a motherboard that could support it while using amd processor. Go for AMD.
when you go amd you need to not overspend on motherboard. you can use the Axxx series just fine, the Bxxx series adds overclocking so if you want that go for B boards, never go for X (gamer) boards all you get for the extra money besides the expensive branding is dual gpu capability and amds storemi tech (to make a SSHD from combing ssd and hdd [i think the newer B 5xx boards now have this as well, but is was exclusive to only X 3xx & 4xx boards prior]).
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
It all depends on what you’re building/buying
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I just bought a x5750 motherboard and a Gen4 NVME drive. I plan on getting a R7 5800X to pair with it.
macnuke Afar
my humble opine on having eye bleeding edge systems.

most of what will be done by the average person won't notice a difference in systems.
fire up the audio/video renders. yes.
but that eye bleeding edge top of the line system is only let you see your death in the game a few nano seconds faster. :lol:
TOS
macnuke posted:

most of what will be done by the average person won't notice a difference in systems.
but that eye bleeding edge top of the line system is only let you see your death in the game a few nano seconds faster. :lol:

ten quintillion frames per second, baby!!!!
dv
Get the best CPU you can for $250, or slightly higher if you want to overclock. Don't overspend on a motherboard. Gobs of RAM and a new GPU every 2 years.
macnuke Afar
TOS posted:
macnuke posted:

ten quintillion frames per second, baby!!!!

on your 60 or 144 hz refresh? :lol:
AMD has lately been showing what a bunch of wankers Intel are.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
avkills posted:

Intel is perfectly capable of demonstrating that they are wankers without any additional help. :squint:

That said, I use whatever I can get for the best price that meets my needs. The last several systems have been Intel, but only because I've gotten most of the parts used for about 1/10th retail.
maurvir posted:
avkills posted:

Intel is perfectly capable of demonstrating that they are wankers without any additional help. :squint:

That said, I use whatever I can get for the best price that meets my needs. The last several systems have been Intel, but only because I've gotten most of the parts used for about 1/10th retail.

I hate to admit that I did buy a Mac Pro, but I have been waiting many many years for Apple to release a system like this. Was it overpriced; yes, and It would have been better had Apple used AMD parts, but oh well. Hindsight being 20-20, had I known the Pandemic would have hosed the live events industry so bad, I would not have bought it.

All and all I am happy with it though, I got the 16-core with a 2TB system drive, the rest as is. I will say the performance is stick fiddling awesome for a Mac. I have been running Folding@Home on it full CPU power AND also doing editing, encodings and what not....just plows right though it all. 3D rendering is way fast; not 64-core thread ripper fast, but still up there.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
You bought one of the current generation of Mac Pros?

$$!!
obvs posted:
You bought one of the current generation of Mac Pros?

$$!!

I did and yes.
Lombo posted:
AMD. If you want to maximize your loonies you could get a zen 2 processor as they will get quite a price drop and it will still be ridiculously good. Personally I would get a Zen 3, specifically the Ryzen 5 3600 (269$cdn on newegg.ça)6 cores/12 thread processor (3.6/4.2 turbo). There is approx a 20% ipc gain at the same clockspeed between a zen2 and a zen3 cpu. If you need thunderbolt I saw a motherboard that could support it while using amd processor. Go for AMD.

I was just looking into Zen 2 vs Zen 3. In Taiwan, the Zen 3 Ryzen 5 and the Zen 2 Ryzen 7 are exactly the same price. The guy at the store was suggesting the 7 over the 5 at that price. However I'm holding off for the 5 as I'm building for gaming so I want the higher single-core performance that the early benchmarks are indicating. They Zen 2 Ryzen 5 is soooo cheap, but I don't want an 85W processor that underperforms.

I looked into the motherboard that does thunderbolt extensively. There's only 1 Ryzen board that does, and it appears to involve some witchcraft. Officially the TB3 port does not support eGPU, and if you do some legwork to enable it the performance is markedly worse than the same eGPU on an Apple laptop. The speculation is that the wizardry involved in getting TB3 working on the AMD board has some significant overhead. If you just want it for port expandability, this might not be an issue. Beyond that, the board in question is generally regarded as a high quality, high-end board with solid features like fast RAM and WiFi 6. Limitations include the single M2 slot, single full-sized PCI slot (it is a mini-ITX board after all), two RAM slots, only four USB A ports, and the TB3 port being the only USB C port. It's also quite pricey.

Personally, I do want a mini-ITX build, if I can find a case large enough to hold the 5700XT. But since I can't eGPU, the card will be in the case for sure, and so I don't care so much about the TB3. I'm hoping to find a board with a lower price, fast RAM, at least a couple of USB C ports, and onboard wifi (WiFi 5 or better).
dv
macaddict4life posted:
Personally, I do want a mini-ITX build, if I can find a case large enough to hold the 5700XT.

Just gotta get the right card. This one is only 10" long, so it should fit in most ITX cases that support dual-slot full length (or almost-full-length) cards.

https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon- ... 6814202349

There's also this one, but it was Japan-only at launch, no idea if it's available elsewhere now.

https://wccftech.com/powercolor-radeon- ... hics-card/

Personally I've no desire to replace my system, but if I were to do so, it would be a hard choice between the ncase M1, Node 202, and Sugo 14.
dv posted:
macaddict4life posted:
Personally, I do want a mini-ITX build, if I can find a case large enough to hold the 5700XT.

Just gotta get the right card. This one is only 10" long, so it should fit in most ITX cases that support dual-slot full length (or almost-full-length) cards.

https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon- ... 6814202349

There's also this one, but it was Japan-only at launch, no idea if it's available elsewhere now.

https://wccftech.com/powercolor-radeon- ... hics-card/

Personally I've no desire to replace my system, but if I were to do so, it would be a hard choice between the ncase M1, Node 202, and Sugo 14.

Personally if we ever get that second stimulus check I'm going for a NZXT H1 for my next build (I hope RDNA 2 has blower variants [we need Fury Nano 2.0 which I'm surprised AMD stopped making sff cards after the reception that card got], ain't no way a Nvidia space heater will work in any ITX cases).
https://www.newegg.com/matte-black-nzxt ... klink=true
sean Royal Wombat
The case I built my current gaming rig in is still a strong favorite.
The CoolerMaster MasterBox 5 is a great balance between price, looks, and performance. It's not a bank breaker, it's got great airflow, and I really like it's minimalist asthetics.
TOS
I have the Phanteks Evolv for my hackintosh/windows rig. It wasn't the first case, but it is about 10,000x better than the first case I had. At some point I am going to upgrade it to a AMD something something, and lose the Hackintosh.
I already have the 5700XT, specifically the Red Devil. It's been in an eGPU box for the last year. So my case has to fit my card, rather than the other way around. Went to the store where I plan to have them do the build last night. He showed me a case that should work. My only hesitation is that the ITX build is bringing the price up, by a good 30% I'm guessing. But I think it's worth it to me.

A thoughts on B-series boards vs X-series boards for AMD? Name brand boards either way (Asus RoG, MSi, or Gigabyte AORUS).
TOS posted:
i like the razer cases

Oh, that is a nice case! And the lighting would integrate with my keyboard/mouse/headset, which is kind of cool, and kind of unnecessary. Being Razer, I'm assuming here that it's going to be sized well for a full-sized graphics card.

Biggest issues I see are the cost, as that's a pricey case (I think I'm looking at like US$80-90, so about 1/2 that price), and the availability date. I'm looking to get this project done soon after November 5 (likely will head out to order the following Monday). I wonder if I'd be able to find this in Taiwan that soon, and at what price tag?

I don't normally care enough about a case to spend more than I have to, honestly.

Edit: Bleh! Looks like it's already available here, BUT it's more expensive, at US$230 (vs US$180 in the US) using 30 NTD:1 USD. However the exchange rate is really good for Taiwan right now, so actually it's a significantly worse deal. I'll see if shops have it, but I'll probably stick with the cheap, ugly box.
I have an older Phanteks case with tempered glass, and they really are nice. They do pretty much assume that optical media is dead, though. There isn't a single exposed drive bay anywhere.
macaddict4life posted:
TOS posted:
i like the razer cases

Oh, that is a nice case! And the lighting would integrate with my keyboard/mouse/headset, which is kind of cool, and kind of unnecessary. Being Razer, I'm assuming here that it's going to be sized well for a full-sized graphics card.

Biggest issues I see are the cost, as that's a pricey case (I think I'm looking at like US$80-90, so about 1/2 that price), and the availability date. I'm looking to get this project done soon after November 5 (likely will head out to order the following Monday). I wonder if I'd be able to find this in Taiwan that soon, and at what price tag?

I don't normally care enough about a case to spend more than I have to, honestly.

Edit: Bleh! Looks like it's already available here, BUT it's more expensive, at US$230 (vs US$180 in the US) using 30 NTD:1 USD. However the exchange rate is really good for Taiwan right now, so actually it's a significantly worse deal. I'll see if shops have it, but I'll probably stick with the cheap, ugly box.

You don't want to go anywhere near tempered glass for ITX builds unless the top and bottoms are both grilled/meshed. Front panel with that minor intake on the side won't do anything as Gamer Nexus has demonstrated in his case temp videos, esp since it'll be in an ITX and not a tower.
maurvir posted:
...They do pretty much assume that optical media is dead, though. There isn't a single exposed drive bay anywhere.

I thought optical media WAS dead. :shifty:
Negative. I use my DVD burner a dozen or more times a day. However, my situation is a bit special - my government issue computer is on a VPN connection and has had USB mass storage disabled. So, the only way to transfer files to/from my development computer is DVD-Rs.
Aaron_R posted:
macaddict4life posted:
TOS posted:
i like the razer cases

You don't want to go anywhere near tempered glass for ITX builds unless the top and bottoms are both grilled/meshed. Front panel with that minor intake on the side won't do anything as Gamer Nexus has demonstrated in his case temp videos, esp since it'll be in an ITX and not a tower.

That bad, huh? Honestly, it’s super tempting, as I love the look, even having read about some of the downsides (large for an ITX and yet with a layout that doesn’t maximize usable space, etc).

However at US$230 here, I think I will end up passing. The CoolerMaster NR200, which seems to be the most wide recommend entry level case, is US$100. I can day dream about that steel and glass design. But at over twice the price... ehhh
My entry level case was $20 and it performed as such...lol.

Maurvir sorry to hear about your USB woes and having to burn discs....what a pain.
TOS
man, i don't know if i even remember how to burn human waste

was it with toast? remember toast?
Old Yoda agitator
TOS posted:
remember toast?

Yea, it came with theAmiga 2000! :p
macnuke Afar
Old Yoda posted:
TOS posted:
remember toast?

Yea, it came with theAmiga 2000! :p

better yet.... i upgraded to

Toast with Jam :up:
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
I remember Toast with Jam!
I cry very time I see and hear the word Amiga....I gave away my Amiga1000 and tossed the 2000. Should have kept both. I gave away the 1000 before I knew it had all the signatures on the underside of the lid. :cry:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I am super happy to see AMD giving Intel some serious competition, that is an excellent development. But I have no brand preference. I used to have a little bit of anti-AMD bias just because of the way AMD fans used to be such pests in tech forums.
But I buy solely based on bang for the buck analysis and I deal in the used market so I buy the best deal I can find at the time and that varies but skews quite a bit towards Intel because nice clean obsoleted corporate PCs are a big part of the used market and almost entirely Intel.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
avkills posted:
I cry very time I see and hear the word Amiga....I gave away my Amiga1000 and tossed the 2000. Should have kept both. I gave away the 1000 before I knew it had all the signatures on the underside of the lid. :cry:

Haha...I had that one, opened up and upgraded the processor and all. I finally tossed it (I know, blasphemy...just something I had to) as a letting go ceremony realizing I was never going to program on it again (circa. 2014). I kinda' still wished I'd kept it but I realized my time was running out and it had dominated far too much of it.
where do you stand on this age-old debate?
0% 0% [ 0 ]
38% 38% [ 5 ]
31% 31% [ 4 ]
31% 31% [ 4 ]
Total votes : 13
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amd vs intel