Can you tell me how to edit a PDF?

Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Without paying Adobe for the privilege, of course.
:heh:
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
A free trial of https://pdfexpert.com might work for you.
Old Yoda agitator
Also free
Quote:
FormulatePro for Mac

FormulatePro helps you open and write on PDF documents. You can fill out any PDF form document, drop in graphics, scribble with the mouse or a tablet, save and print.

https://download.cnet.com/FormulatePro/ ... 73863.html
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
You can do basic editing in Preview.

How much are you looking to change? PDFs aren’t really designed to be edited much. Even using Abobe Acrobat Pro can be painful.

Most times you’re better of working with the source document if you can get your hands on it. Or bringing it into a proper doc editor and generating a new PDF from that.
juice Inadvertently correct
I've found Preview to be adequate for my editing needs.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I have some documents at work that need minor revisions, so instead of typing the whole thing over again I thought i'd just use the office copier to email them to myself, and then make the changes.
Of course, the resulting PDF is resistant to change.
I tried preview and pages and word, but I must be doing it wrong 'cause nothing seems to work.
I really just wanted to copy the doc into word and work in there, but I can't
get it to work.
Old Yoda agitator
Open the pdf file in Preview.
From the Edit menu select all - command A - hit command C to copy all text.
Start a new word processor document and paste - command V
Graphics and tables etc will not copy and you might have to reformat paragraphs.
When it is to your liking print to pdf
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Thanks I’ll try that. Do you know equivalent instructions for Windows?
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
Thanks I’ll try that. Do you know equivalent instructions for Windows?

Control instead of command, should work in Adobe reader.

That’s assuming there’s actual text data embedded in the pdf. Scanned images don’t always have that.
I have used a OCR software to create editable text from pdfs, edited them in text editor, then saved as a pdf that now has proper searchable text.
Adobe Acrobat Pro is the bane of my existence. Almost certainly the most stick fiddled up Adobe app ever.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
And that's saying something.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
avkills posted:
Adobe Acrobat Pro is the bane of my existence. Almost certainly the most stick fiddled up Adobe app ever.

I dunno - their flash media tools were pretty bad too.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ribtor posted:
I have used a OCR software to create editable text from pdfs, edited them in text editor, then saved as a pdf that now has proper searchable text.

Yeah, well I'm trying to do this at work, where I don't have admin privileges, have to work on different computers in different locations, and would have to jump through hoops of fire to get permission to download some software that had not been approved by a committee that doesn't even understand what my job is beyond "runs a scanner".
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Old Yoda posted:
Graphics and tables etc will not copy and you might have to reformat paragraphs.

Ok, very good! I got that to work on my Mac, (My issue seems to be that I was opening the PDF in Firefox instead of Preview); however, that doesn't seem to have solved my immediate problem.
It is cool and useful to add paragraphs and videos; but all I really need to do is change a few words, and I can't really find a way to do that in Pages (I don't have Word on my Mac, but that's what I have to use at work.)
I can ADD text, like, at the bottom of the page, but I can’t figure out how to delete the text that’s already there and replace it with new text. I can’t even get the blinking cursor into the text body.

What next? :shrug:
Donkey Butter jerk face
in preview hit the pencil icon next to the search bar on the right (show markup toolbar)

then you want shapes. (the square and circle icon) to draw out a shape. you can change the fill and stroke to match the back ground colour of your doc. this shape will "white out" the text you don't want.

Then on to the text tool. hit the icon once and it will pop up a text box. move it to where you want and type out what you need. resize and adjust placement as needed.

save
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
Old Yoda posted:

Ok, very good! I got that to work on my Mac, (My issue seems to be that I was opening the PDF in Firefox instead of Preview); however, that doesn't seem to have solved my immediate problem.
It is cool and useful to add paragraphs and videos; but all I really need to do is change a few words, and I can't really find a way to do that in Pages (I don't have Word on my Mac, but that's what I have to use at work.)
I can ADD text, like, at the bottom of the page, but I can’t figure out how to delete the text that’s already there and replace it with new text. I can’t even get the blinking cursor into the text body.

That’s really not how pdf files work. You’re likely not going to have much luck trying to do that.

Although Word has a pdf import that sometimes works, and Adobe Illustrator will let you come really really close to doing what it sounds like you want to do.
Old Yoda agitator
DukeofNuke posted:
Old Yoda posted:

If you can't get the text cursor you have to do what Donkey Butter just posted; very tedious.

Something just occurred to me when you mentioned you were using Firefox, can you copy the html source, edit it with a tex editor, save, reopen in Firefox and print to pdf? (I have never done that with pdf, just a thought.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
LOL! ... no ...

I'm no code kitty. Just looking as source code makes my eyes cross.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Can you tell me how to edit a PDF?