Samsung ratchets up the ads again on their TVs

Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], ukimalefu
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1583755244

Quote:
Sometime in 2016 Samsung began pushing a software update to enable ads in the user interface of previously acquired Smart TVs as well as new TVs. The ads were shown above a new icon in the bottom menu.

The move upset some owners of Samsung TVs while others accepted it. Back then, the ads related mostly to new services (such as GameFly), new content from close partners (such as Google Play or Amazon Video), new movies in theaters (such as Angry Birds 2), Samsung's own services (such as TV Plus) or its own products (such as Galaxy smartphones).

Towards the end of 2019, owners have started to voice their dissatisfaction with larger, increasingly obtrusive, and unrelated ads showing up on their Samsung TVs. These include ads for canned beans or discount supermarkets such as the one embedded below or the one shared on Samsung's community boards here.

Why TF are people putting their TVs on their networks in the first place? All of our sets are technically "smart" TVs, but not one of them has an Internet connection.
dv
maurvir posted:
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1583755244

Quote:
Sometime in 2016 Samsung began pushing a software update to enable ads in the user interface of previously acquired Smart TVs as well as new TVs. The ads were shown above a new icon in the bottom menu.

The move upset some owners of Samsung TVs while others accepted it. Back then, the ads related mostly to new services (such as GameFly), new content from close partners (such as Google Play or Amazon Video), new movies in theaters (such as Angry Birds 2), Samsung's own services (such as TV Plus) or its own products (such as Galaxy smartphones).

Towards the end of 2019, owners have started to voice their dissatisfaction with larger, increasingly obtrusive, and unrelated ads showing up on their Samsung TVs. These include ads for canned beans or discount supermarkets such as the one embedded below or the one shared on Samsung's community boards here.

Why TF are people putting their TVs on their networks in the first place? All of our sets are technically "smart" TVs, but not one of them has an Internet connection.

Our "smart" TV uses an internet connection for its built in ChromeCast, as well as to work as an AirPlay endpoint.

I didn't want a ChromeCast (this is a FireTV household, dammit) and for some reason, AirPlay doesn't work when the router is restricting its MAC to internal-only networking.

Oh well. :shrug:
Donkey Butter jerk face
first thing I did with my sony tv was shut down all of that BS and opt out of all their marketing and promotional stuff. Then connected my apple tv to feed me my content. I've never had my tv connected to the internet and don't plan to.

THIS is why you don't connect those things to the Internet. :squint:
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Don't worry, soon they'll offer the "no ads" subscription.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Dear God! They're not just ads, but they're in, what is that, Dutch?
macnuke Afar
My LG is driven by an xBox S.
In 2 years, the LG software has not been connected in anyway to the inter webs.
It will die lonely one day never knowing.
dv
obvs posted:
Dear God! They're not just ads, but they're in, what is that, Dutch?

Looks like german to me. Or deutsch, if you prefer.
Hmmm, I have not seen ads like that on mine ever.
dv
avkills posted:
Hmmm, I have not seen ads like that on mine ever.

Euro VPN to watch CBS exclusives on Netflix maybe.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
I don't really want ads on my tv either, but just curious why does this offend any of your sensibilities more than, um, ads on your TV when you watch Hulu or ads anywhere else in our lives?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Alexander Supertramp posted:
I don't really want ads on my tv either, but just curious why does this offend any of your sensibilities more than, um, ads on your TV when you watch Hulu or ads anywhere else in our lives?

Speaking just for myself, I wouldn't subscribe to a service that runs ads, I never watch broadcast TV, the only time commercial radio gets played in my car is during severe weather, my web browsers have the necessary ad blockers added on.
I just don't see or hear all that many ads and I go out of my way to keep it that way. Ads are weaponized psychiatry and I do my best to keep my exposure as low as possible. They are designed to make you feel empty inside and to instill the thought that acquiring material goods will fill that void.
Advertising is, by a healthy margin, the most toxic element to our culture.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline

Because the TV is a product I have purchased, not a service I’m being sold with the understanding that ads will be part of said service.
mmaverick posted:

Because the TV is a product I have purchased, not a service I’m being sold with the understanding that ads will be part of said service.

This. I shouldn't have to put up with that crap on something I paid full freight for. I can tolerate ads on free services or subsidized devices (which I would never use, but that's besides the point), but not on something I just paid over $1k for.
I would accept it if Samsung wanted to give me a TV set for free. But I have not seen mine do any of this.
TOS
my fire stick posts ads too, i guess they're inescapable
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:

Why would you buy the Fire over the other options?
mmaverick posted:

That's a good distinction. I was thinking about where and why we decide to draw these lines.
mmaverick posted:

That's a good distinction. I was thinking about where and why we decide to draw these lines.

Although, I guess we shouldn't assume that ads won't be part of our hardware we buy.
I have never connected my LG 4K tv to the internet. I did have my 8 year old Panasonic wired to my router for Netflix, but that was as smart as it got, and now we watch through our tv DvR box. So no ads for me :)
TOS
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

Why would you buy the Fire over the other options?

i already had prime, and my options were kind of limited at the time
Go into your router controls and expressly deny your TV access to WIFI. Mine still keeps trying
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Samsung ratchets up the ads again on their TVs