AT&T attempts to copy Amazon

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Metacell
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... -discount/

Quote:
AT&T CEO John Stankey said the company may offer cellphone plans subsidized by advertising, giving customers monthly discounts of $5 or $10 in exchange for ads on their phones. "I believe there's a segment of our customer base where given a choice, they would take some load of advertising for a $5 or $10 reduction in their mobile bill," Stankey said in an interview with Reuters yesterday. Stankey apparently didn't offer details on what form the ads would take.

According to Reuters, Stankey said that AT&T's ad-supported phone plans could be introduced in "a year or two." AT&T is already doing back-end work in its targeted-advertising system that could increase the value of such plans to AT&T's ad-sales business:

I saw this in the comments, and it pretty much sums up my thought on this:
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Oh boy, imagine having to listen to a pre-roll ad every time you make a phone call.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Definitely sounds Stankey.
gd Hero of Twilight
If it were 50% reduction in the bill I could consider it, but for five or ten dollars I'm not submitting myself to that kind of torture.
dv
Today it's a "discount." In a year or two they'll be charging extra for the ad-free service.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
dv posted:
Today it's a "discount." In a year or two they'll be charging extra for the ad-free service.

This.

But at the same time I can imagine some people choosing to 'save' some money doing this. At least the transaction is clear.
sean Royal Wombat
maurvir posted:

I'm in complete agreement.

John Stankey is exactly that --- Stank ee. What a douche. Might have to consider another carrier if this happens.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
avkills posted:
John Stankey is exactly that --- Stank ee. What a douche. Might have to consider another carrier if this happens.

Won't these plans be in addition to the other plans?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

AT&T attempts to copy Amazon