Feds proudly announce seizure of ‘counterfeit Apple AirPods

Online now: Bing (sucks), DukeofNuke, Google [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Quote:
US Customs and Border Protection tonight tweeted that its officers had “recently seized 2,000 counterfeit Apple AirPods from Hong Kong, valued at $398K had they been genuine.”

Quote:
The only problem is, based on the agency’s own photos, the seized products appear to be legitimate OnePlus Buds — transported in a box that plainly says as much. But CBP proudly tweeted “THAT’S NOT AN APPLE,” as if its people had astutely detected a forged piece of 18th-century art.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/13/2143 ... ew-comment

:der:

US Customs isn’t backing down, says seized OnePlus Buds violate Apple AirPods trademark

Quote:
In a statement to The Verge, a US Customs and Border Protection spokesperson has defended the agency’s seizure of 2,000 pairs of OnePlus Buds at JFK airport on August 31st. Last night, CBP publicized the action and described the OnePlus Buds as “counterfeit Apple AirPods,” which set off a wave of controversy. It seemed like a possible gaffe by border officers who somehow didn’t realize they were blocking a genuine product, and OnePlus has also been mocked for even finding itself in this situation, thanks to the similarities between its own earbuds and AirPods.

Quote:
It’s important to note that Apple itself hasn’t taken any legal action against OnePlus over the OnePlus Buds, and the earbuds remain for sale from OnePlus and many US retailers including B&H Photo. You can still get them without issue, and it’s unclear whether CBP plans to seize future shipments.

dv
The Feds can't be wrong. Lord Trump demands it.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
This is stupid.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
obvs posted:
This is stupid.

'Murica
It's not even meant to be the same product.

Does Apple own a copyright on the color white now?
dv
obvs posted:

Quote:
It’s important to note that Apple itself hasn’t taken any legal action against OnePlus over the OnePlus Buds, and the earbuds remain for sale from OnePlus and many US retailers including B&H Photo. You can still get them without issue, and it’s unclear whether CBP plans to seize future shipments.

This probably wasn't Apple's doing.
obvs posted:

It's not just the white, it's the design too. I guess it's different enough, legally. But anybody would say they're copying apple.

And after apple made the original iPod, EVERYBODY started making white earphones.

I suppose some fed thought "Trump is friends with Tim Apple, I'm gonna get a promotion!"
PLEASE NOTE: THIS THREADS IS FOR MAKING FUN OF THOSE DUMB FEDS

Having said that, the "mistake" is understandable (but not the action)

These are One Plus buds

More colors! I like that, and would prefer black, but apple doesn't make them.

These are apple's

close enough

I've seen a couple reviews that give the edge to apple in terms of sound, and call quality, but it's not really a contest, get apple's if you have an iphone

Now, these are the latest samsungs

See, they CAN look different than apple earbuds

these are the most popular noise cancelling wireless earbuds, by sony, most reviews say these are the best

also look different

and these, are 20$ on amazon, with 4 stars average reviews

Probably wasteful sound, wasteful battery life, and wasteful bluetooth, but you'd look cool, people would think you have an iphone ;) :p
Ears are small spaces with defined shapes. You're going to get a limited number of shapes of small headphones like that.
There are other different designs besides the 3 I posted, but I won't go find more pics to post because that's not the point of the thread.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Feds proudly announce seizure of ‘counterfeit Apple AirPods