Nvidia is acquiring Arm for $40 billion

Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/13/2143 ... ps-ai-deal

Quote:
Nvidia said Sunday it is acquiring chipmaker Arm from SoftBank for $40 billion. Arm will operate as an division of Nvidia and will remain headquartered in the UK, and, will “continue to operate its open-licensing model, while maintaining its global customer neutrality,” the company said. But the deal is still likely to face intense regulatory scrutiny.

SoftBank bought Arm in 2016 for $31 billion. The British company’s intellectual property helps power mobile device processors for companies including Apple, Samsung, and Qualcomm. Arm has likely only increased in value since the SoftBank acquisition, with Microsoft making an Arm-based Surface and a version of Windows for Arm, and Apple planning to switch future Macs to Arm-based chips.

TOS
i thought apple bought arm already? i've lost track of all this stuff
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Apple bought a permanent license to use ARM's architecture for its processors, but didn't buy ARM itself.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Ah soo....Invidia bought itself a permanent piece of Apple's action.
Might be a good thing, maybe Apple will re-consider team green GPU.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
avkills posted:

I wouldn't count on it. NV can't pull Apple's architecture license, nor coerce them to do jack squat. If anything, I suspect that eventually "Apple Silicon" will essentially become a fork of the Arm ISA at some point instead.

I just don't see Apple getting back into bed with them at this point given the push for even greater vertical integration.
maurvir posted:
avkills posted:

I wouldn't count on it. NV can't pull Apple's architecture license, nor coerce them to do jack squat. If anything, I suspect that eventually "Apple Silicon" will essentially become a fork of the Arm ISA at some point instead.

I just don't see Apple getting back into bed with them at this point given the push for even greater vertical integration.

One can only hope. Although we will need to see AMDs answer to the 30xx cards. I am not counting them out. Especially considering the hurt they are putting on Intel on the CPU front, with Zen3 right around the corner also. But then again it might take Apple forever to implement Big Navi into MPX style cards.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Nvidia is acquiring Arm for $40 billion