Can you do a Win-10 clean install?

Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot]
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
My old Window laptop is really almost impossible to use.
If I back up the music, photos and documents I've got on it, can the HD be erased and a clean copy of Win-10 installed?
This would improve performance, right?
dv
Yes, you can. Use these instructions to create install media: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... tion-media

The Win10 key gets tied to your Microsoft account, so you should be ok to reinstall without a serial number or anything.

I did it a couple months ago to my desktop, after about 7 years on the same installation. (Upgraded from Win7.)

It didn't boost performance much, if at all, but several weird crashing issues I'd had before basically went away.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Word of warning - make absolutely sure you are signed into the Microsoft account that you used to upgrade to Windows 10 with BEFORE reinstalling. If, like me, you used a local account, you may run into problems with the license on reinstall and have to contact Microsoft.

You can do the upgrade, but it will involve an hour or so on the phone getting the license sorted. If you login to your account before and after the upgrade, it's automatic.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Thanks guys. I might get around to that this weekend ... or I might not ...

So, can't get it on a CD, huh? My internet isn't the best. A huge download might take hours.
macnuke Afar
it's really YUGE... I mean the YUGEST.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
DukeofNuke posted:
Thanks guys. I might get around to that this weekend ... or I might not ...

So, can't get it on a CD, huh? My internet isn't the best. A huge download might take hours.

Nope, it has to be downloaded now, but you can download it to a USB stick and then use it for the installer.

My Windows 10 machine is all Local, I do not want to log in via a Windows account.

My license is tied to the logic board though.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Can you do a Win-10 clean install?