Thunderbolt 4

Online now: Google [Bot], maurvir
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
At least it's the same USB-C connector (which I have grown to dislike...it's oval shape slips out very easily).
dv
Metacell posted:
At least it's the same USB-C connector (which I have grown to dislike...it's oval shape slips out very easily).

Mine is clicky enough to hang my cell phone.

But get this: the USB-C connector sometimes has a right and wrong orientation.

No way to tell - just trial and error. But if you're using an extension cable with a USB-C dock, USB 2.0 peripherals plugged into the dock won't work if the dock is plugged into the extension cable "upside down."
macnuke Afar

can't we all just get along? :lol:
Lombo Opiofiend
DV, you’re wasting me ! If so it is pathetically funny. I’ve never came across such cables though.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Mine will sometimes just stop working for no reason...mouse, external drive... but only under Windows, not in MacOS. I'm guessing they just aren't as "standard" as claimed.
dv posted:

No way to tell - just trial and error. But if you're using an extension cable with a USB-C dock, USB 2.0 peripherals plugged into the dock won't work if the dock is plugged into the extension cable "upside down."

I think that's why Apple cables, or good cables, cost much more. They're not just wires, there's hardware that determines what's coming from where and where it needs to go.

IMHO, USB A is the best thing ever, so far. Best example of it just works. Same connector works for printers, scanners, drives, keyboards, just plug it in.

I never had something with USB C, but I understand one advantage is it being reversible. If it doesn't have that... look at "standards" comic.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
I have a USB 2 camera plugged into a USB 3 hub, plugged into a USB-A-to-USB-C adapter, plugged into a USB 3 extension cable, and I just flipped the USB C plug over, and the camera still works.

:shrug:
obvs posted:
I have a USB 2 camera plugged into a USB 3 hub, plugged into a USB-A-to-USB-C adapter, plugged into a USB 3 extension cable, and I just flipped the USB C plug over, and the camera still works.

:whatthe:

if it works... that's good
dv
obvs posted:

We have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082KMKQQX/

Plugged into one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0817SL37C/

Which is plugged into a Dell laptop. Works fine but the connection between the dock and the extension cable exhibits the direction'd behavior.

There was a warning sticker that came in the box with the cable, also, so it's a known issue. I don't know all the whys and wherefores, but it does seem like extension cables aren't maybe part of the USB-C or USB 3.1 official specification? So... yeah. :shrug:

It works fine.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Thunderbolt 4