Pen drive

Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Pen drive is the preferred term around here.

Quote:
The definition of a pen drive is small storage device shaped like a pen with built-in data storage that connects to a computer by a USB port.

I've never seen a pen shaped like that.

https://www.yourdictionary.com/pen-drive

According to quora

Quote:
Pen drives can be inserted directly into a USB port without a USB cord. Due to its lack of a cord, a pen drive is extremely mobile and can be attached to a key chain or put in your pocket.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-diffe ... normal-one

Glad to learn something. But still, these are pens:

ImageImage

I googled this just to be sure:

So those exist. Still, when people say "pen drive" they never mean one of those.

I hate to call them pen drives, but if I say flash drive to people around me, their brains stop working.

-

That's all for now.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
I just remembered one I hate even more. Some people call them "portable memory". Weeell, maybe, if you stretch the truth and look at it from an specific angle... but I still don't like it.
macnuke Afar

as it hooks to a keychain, i have always referred to it as a "Keydrive"
Pariah Know Your Enemy
In my section of the universe these are called thumb drives or jump drives or usb drives.
Old Yoda agitator
We call them "snick net."
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Pariah posted:
In my section of the universe these are called thumb drives or jump drives or usb drives.

same here
I recall middle aged people calling entire computer cases "hard drives" in the 90s.
And every printer was a "plotter".
Thumb drives is the common name around here.

I believe you mean sneaker net, OY.
I used to hear "thumb drive" l lot but now I mostly just hear "USB key" or just "USB".

Another computer related bit of wordage I often hear is when people say "ex" instead of "times". I hardly ever hear people say "times" anymore when referring to a multiple rating (X speed etc) anymore. They say "ex". A bit weird.
That's just ignorance. No math teacher would ever say "ex" as X is the most commonly used variable.
dv
Metacell posted:
That's just ignorance. No math teacher would ever say "ex" as X is the most commonly used variable.

I'd rather suspect that it's because the speakers have no idea that it represents multiplication, though. I have never heard anybody say "fifty two times CD-ROM" in person. But somewhere between "512 em bee" and "four gee bee" of memory was quite common back when I still did desktop support, as were "500 gee bee" hard drives. With no knowledge of what the numbers and letters represent, most people rely on spelling things out for clarity's sake.

Why the "fifty two ex cd-rom" thing seems to stick even among people who should know better, I have no idea.

If I were trying to justify it after the fact, I could speculate that it's supposed to be "ex" in the algebraic sense. (In the case of a CD-ROM drive, x = 151kBps.)

But more realistically, it was just the '90s - everything was "Xtreme, X-Games, Generation X" and replacing your Sega 32X with a PSX would be as common as playing Halo on XBox. Our brains got programmed.
Well, yeah, I still call it OS Ex often enough.
jkahless Custom Title
Ribtor posted:
I used to hear "thumb drive" l lot but now I mostly just hear "USB key" or just "USB".

Another computer related bit of wordage I often hear is when people say "ex" instead of "times". I hardly ever hear people say "times" anymore when referring to a multiple rating (X speed etc) anymore. They say "ex". A bit weird.

You think that’s weird, apparently some people can actually pronounce SCSI.
jkahless Custom Title
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Pen drive