Apple updates SUCK

Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
So yesterday I got a notification for 2 apple updates

One, an almost 2 GB security update. That's BIG for just a security update, I think, but it must be important.

The other one, a Safari update. I don't really use it, but ok, whatever.

Now the sucky part:

Why did that need to restart many times?

And WHY does it expend several minutes on a black screen, no apple logo, no progress bar, no indication of activity whatsoever (the mojave install does the same. High Sierra too, but it's a grey screen) That's stick fiddling terrifying, is it going? is it broken? WTF!? show me some activity all along the way, even if it's a big lie, like, "less than a minute". It did show an apple logo and progress eventually, but damn.

And it took a long time to finish. But ok, not as long as a full macOS install, that's insanely long.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Yup. That's the way things are now. I remember when that wasn't the case.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
dv
Windows is still worse.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
dv posted:
Windows is still worse.

I've heard about that.

At least I voluntarily started this update.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
dv posted:
Windows is still worse.

Yes, but Windows is the genital herpes of operating systems.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
This is why I have no intention of upgrading past Sierra until I'm forced to.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
A 2GB "update" has to be a complete core system reinstall, exactly the same thing MS does with Windows updates. I suspect Apple has let OSX get so unmanageable that updating just problematic files is not always possible without what amounts to a clean install of core system code.
I gotta be "that guy" and say that I don't think I have ever seen security updates add up to more than a 100mb or so. And that was a big one. Most security updates I see are under one megabyte.
I avoid updating an operating system as long as is practical.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Ribtor posted:
I avoid updating an operating system as long as is practical.

I apply updates quickly and confidently. In 8 years using Mint I have never had even one update go sideways.
I do like to let integer upgrades wait a bit. I will upgrade to Mint 20 from 19 in a month or two.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Apple updates SUCK