Help me get a divorce...

Online now: Google [Bot], maurvir
Bren Everything went to hell after Empire.
...from Comcast.

Comcast (I guess they call it Xfinity now) is charging me something like $180 per month for Internet, cable TV, and landline telephone.

I would love to ditch them, but I have one major obstacle:

I've been using my @comcast.net e-mail address since probably around 2002. My whole life is tied to that address.

Naturally, I need to transition all my accounts and correspondences to my Gmail account before I cancel Comcast.

But how the heck do I do that, when I can't even begin to recall all the places that know me by my @comcast.net address?

Is there an automated solution? Some type of software or service that can handle this task for me?

Thank you.
Vulture 420
Just start logging in to everything you use one by one and change your contact email address to the gmail account you created. Life's too short to pay too much for cable. I ditched Spectrum as soon as I could and never looked back.
macnuke Afar
drop cable this instant. you can demand stream the world for like 30 bucks a month tops.
and like Vulture says.. start moving everything to your gmail. simply go into your IN box and start looking at who is important.
now is a great time to leave behind all the crap you signed up for and really don't want the 2x a week newsletter from.
sadly, it's manual.
also.... mass email to all the contacts in your contact list with new email.
if they don't update on their end.. they aren't worth the worry are they.
I kept my @att.net account even though i left AT&T because it really already was a yahoo mail account. See if you might be similarly lucky. Even if you’re not, providers often give a few month grace period.
I don't want cable TV at all, but my mother has dementia and watching her shows is pretty important to her. I mention the dementia because she has a hard enough time figuring out the Comcast remote. No way is she going to be able to figure out alternatives to cable.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
I don't actually recommend using gmail quite in the way you're thinking.

I recommend registering your own domain. They're like $10-15 per year, and then you can switch providers to your heart's content, and never have an issue.

When Apple discontinued free mac.com email, I went out and bought my own domain(the first of several I now own). I've used my own email account on that ever since.

I currently use domains.google as my domain registrar, and if you do that, Google can host your email(meaning you would own the domain and the address, but Google would provide email hosting, and you'd have the ability to sign in to your email using GMail).

After that, Google provides resources for importing all of your old email messages and contacts.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I have my own domain, but I only point a few businesses to it. The rest get either my yahoo or gmail address.
IT HAS BEGUN. Last night I started logging into various sites and services and changing my e-mail address.

Quora won't let me change it unless I enter my password, yet their password recovery tool won't send me a reset link.

That's annoying!
macnuke Afar
delete account... open new one with new address.
I'm in the Quora Partner Program, though.

I don't mean to brag, but I'm kind of a big deal on Quora.

I've made $30 over the last year!
macnuke Afar
they don't want to pay you the big bucks and make your life easy then.

write the help desk and see what they can do for you.
macnuke posted:
they don't want to pay you the big bucks and make your life easy then.

write the help desk and see what they can do for you.

Maybe ask on one of those sites where people post questions and other people answer... but I can't think of the name of any...
I cut the cord and had an antenna installed on my roof 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I get over 60 OTA stations. I still pay $50 a month to Comcast for internet and another $12.99 for Netflix and $1.99 for Hulu. I haven't had any regrets though and have saved a ton.
Sadly, antennas aren't an option here in the Linda Mar Valley. We're surrounded by mountains, and it's always been understood if you want to live here and watch TV, you need to get cable.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Bren posted:
IT HAS BEGUN. Last night I started logging into various sites and services and changing my e-mail address.

Quora won't let me change it unless I enter my password, yet their password recovery tool won't send me a reset link.

That's annoying!

some (crappy) websites take their own sweet time to send a password reset link

are you SURE you're checking the right email address? you probably did, since you're a big deal at quora :p
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Help me get a divorce...