M.2 NVME to USB 3.1

Online now: Google [Bot], iDaemon, Séamas
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-EC-NVME- ... B07K4TZQ7D
I was poking around a bit and saw this. Now, clearly, it won't run a fast SSD as fast as a real PCIe connection will, but shoot, for $46, it should make one hell of a "thumb drive".

The only trouble is, I really wanted an outboard drive for running VMs, and I'm not sure this would be better than an eSata enclosure.
dv
maurvir posted:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-EC-NVME- ... B07K4TZQ7D
I was poking around a bit and saw this. Now, clearly, it won't run a fast SSD as fast as a real PCIe connection will, but shoot, for $46, it should make one hell of a "thumb drive".

The only trouble is, I really wanted an outboard drive for running VMs, and I'm not sure this would be better than an eSata enclosure.

Yes. Yes, it would be faster than an eSATA enclosure.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I have a couple of open PCIe slots I have been thinking of using for adding an ssd of some sort. One 16x, one 16x wired 4x (what ever that means) and a couple of singles.

Not really sure what a 1x PCIe slot is good for.
I have an M3 SATA3 to USB C (I can't remember what version, but the one that is capable of 10 Gbps) enclosure, and I've been extremely impressed with its performance. At the time, nobody was making an NVME to USB enclosure (at least not at a reasonable price), but even on the slower SATA3 spec it's been awesome. It's actually where nearly all of my game installs live in Windows.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Pariah posted:
I have a couple of open PCIe slots I have been thinking of using for adding an ssd of some sort. One 16x, one 16x wired 4x (what ever that means) and a couple of singles.

They are good for legacy stuff, like serial ports and low-end SATA RAID controllers. I develop FPGA firmware, and having an honest to god serial port is a life saver at times. The only way to get one these days is a PCIe add-in card.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Pariah posted:

They are good for legacy stuff, like serial ports and low-end SATA RAID controllers. I develop FPGA firmware, and having an honest to god serial port is a life saver at times. The only way to get one these days is a PCIe add-in card.

Or buy a Dell business class tower. Mine has ps2 and a serial port.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

M.2 NVME to USB 3.1