Check your Android apps against thie list of 25

Online now: Google [Bot]
"Google removes 25 Android apps caught stealing Facebook credentials".

Some have been at the Google App Store for over a year before they were recently removed. One of the common behaviors is to overlay a login screen specifically for Facebook:

The black bar shows the phishing version while the fbue bar is the underlying real Facebook login screen. The phished info was then passed onto a now-defunct server which was located in Palau. There might be other phishing behaviors.

Here is the list of apps:

obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
It's important to note that sometimes apps have the same name. I have an app called "File Manager", from ASUSTek, and I just checked the Play Store. There are many with that name. I don't have the one in question.
ukimalefu Canadized
I don't have an android thing, or facebook
macnuke Afar
Have what was installed at birth of my phone.
then again, it's a phone primarily.
and a rolodex for my aging memory.
a fancy smancy pager.
a map

rarely anymore than that.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
If you use Android shouldn't you just assume you have been breached and carry on? I mean, sure, Google catches some bad actors once in awhile but we all know they can't catch enough to matter in the stick fiddling freak show their app store is.
Security and Android goes together like orange juice and toothpaste.
:lol:

You're kind of hilarious, you know.

On one hand, you advocate the openness of Linux.

On the other hand, you deride the openness of Android.

There are plenty of safe Android apps from major developers, and there are plenty of safe Android apps from minor developers.

There are also a lot of very good and very safe apps that extend the functionality of Android phones and that Apple won't allow to be a part of the iOS ecosystem.

You're advocating a system where you're treated like a child.

Be an adult. Go outside. Try adult things.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
:lol:

You're kind of hilarious, you know.

On one hand, you advocate the openness of Linux.

On the other hand, you deride the openness of Android.

There are plenty of safe Android apps from major developers, and there are plenty of safe Android apps from minor developers.

There are also a lot of very good and very safe apps that extend the functionality of Android phones and that Apple won't allow to be a part of the iOS ecosystem.

You're advocating a system where you're treated like a child.

Be an adult. Go outside. Try adult things.

If it was as hard to make Linux Mint good as it is to make Android good I would still be using a Mac.
Compared to iOS, Android is a dream.
Heh.

Just now I read obvs' reply to mauvir's post in the "Where would you live" string. I did not notice that it was to a link to Google Maps. When I moved your link from my Javascript-disabled Firefox to Safari, I got a notice in a pop-up window giving me the option to turn off links which SOUNDED like a good idea, but when I clicked on that option, a new tab in Safari opened which was a login page to Google's online services. I did not log in.

I know from past experience that I DID have a map location marked in Google Maps. It was when I must have logged into G-Mail then afterwards went to Google Maps without closing Safari in between. I recognize that this behavior is a courtesy from Google made on the assumption that if I looked up a location then chances would be good that I might want to see it again, but that was a one-time look--a remote island off the coast of Norway that I looked at just out of curiosity--yet every time I accidentally did log into Google Maps it would ask me if I wanted to see that island again (at least before I finally dug through the Google options and rooted out that map location which was the sole location marked in Maps).
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Check your Android apps against thie list of 25