Empty news are empty

Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], mangelo, ukimalefu
ukimalefu Canadized
OMG! ARM MACS BENCHMARKS LEAK111ONE!!ELEVEN!!

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/06 ... ition-kit/

not the final product, not a native benchmarking app, nobody know what that means because everything could change

:roll:

I hate "news" like that. I saw it first on gizmodo and then on ARS. I got clickbaited :squint:

-

But still

Quote:
As for the results, the Apple silicon-equipped developer kits average 811 for single-threaded Geekbench and 2781 for multi-threaded. That's about 20 percent slower than the entry-level i3-1000ng4 powered Macbook Air's single-core results and 38 percent faster than its multi-threaded results. Higher-end Macs produce much higher numbers, though.

So faster than the low end macbook air in one thing, that's something. AGAIN, not the final shipping product, geekbench running under emulation.

I also read somewhere else that since Apple will still be shipping Intel Macs for a couple years, it's ok to buy a new Mac now.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
The results are actually not bad. In fact, given that is the processor from a 2 year old iPad, those are actually pretty good.

I would have liked to have seen the dev kit results using an A13.
How about on an emulated A12?

Oops, sorry: this is basically about the same story.
DEyncourt posted:
How about on an emulated A12?

Oops, sorry: this is basically about the same story.

Worth reading for the comments, because remember, that site is for Windows folks. They grasp that Apple is neck and neck with a Surface device despite running the benchmark in Rosetta and using a stock 2 year old SoC. As one poster put it, this is an impressive result for Apple not even really trying.

Intel should be crapping their pants right now, because Apple was neck and neck with their low-end i3's two years ago. It will be fascinating to see what the real ARM Macs can do, and how they compare to i5/i7 machines.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
My 7 year old i7 has a single thread score slightly more than 400% faster than that.
Pariah posted:
My 7 year old i7 has a single thread score slightly more than 400% faster than that.

True. I expect Intel to retain the performance crown for quite a while. However, your i7 has several hundred watts available to it and an active cooling system.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Pariah posted:

True. I expect Intel to retain the performance crown for quite a while. However, your i7 has several hundred watts available to it and an active cooling system.

Ya, but current i7 are far more efficient than my old one so the gap is even bigger.
Lombo Opiofiend
Par. This is a geek bench 5 The highest I7 is nowhere near 400%. The A14 will spank the I7. Remember this is running Rosetta. Your geeekbench 4 score is not applicable.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Things have been fast enough for me for awhile. I'm considering trying an egpu...but really it seems like overkill.
Lombo Opiofiend
Would you play games while boot camping ? It is the only reason I would splurge. Unless you do video editing.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Lombo posted:
Would you play games while boot camping ? It is the only reason I would splurge. Unless you do video editing.

Yeah, I do...that's the only reason I'd consider it. I don't think it's even that big of a factor with video editing, unless you want real time hi-def preview while rendering.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Lombo posted:
Par. This is a geek bench 5 The highest I7 is nowhere near 400%. The A14 will spank the I7. Remember this is running Rosetta. Your geeekbench 4 score is not applicable.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I already kicked Apple off my desktop years ago and all them choosing to switch to a unique hardware platform does is puts another bolt in an already locked door for me. Mac are going from too expensive and the wrong designs to utterly useless to me entirely.
As far as my tech future goes it will be as if ARM Macs don't even exist they will hold so little interest for me.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
The funny thing will be when Apple announces that their newest Mac is an iPhone and that there is no physical Mac.
ukimalefu Canadized
obvs posted:
The funny thing will be when Apple announces that their newest Mac is an iPhone and that there is no physical Mac.

merging a phone with a desktop has been tried before

maybe apple will get right...? how about, better than anyone else before?

but it still will be hated, whatever it is

My bet is that they'll first try a Mac tablet, if they ever go that way. Maybe a "MacPad".
As long as Apple demands people use Macs to run Xcode, there will be Macs. The physical size may be ridiculous, but there will be a need for machines that are capable of running compilers and running the code locally.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Empty news are empty