filament vs. resin printing

Online now: Google [Bot], iDaemon, j_tso, macaddict4life
just decide, okay?
60% 60% [ 3 ]
40% 40% [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5
TOS
thinking of a li'l purchase

i love the detail you get from resin, but i'm not a fan of the stank-ass chemicals

do you have a prefernce?
ukimalefu Canadized
you're talking about 3D printing, right?

I've heard BOTH need a well ventilated area, but I believe filament is more convenient, I mean, it won't spill everywhere.

Look around here

https://www.tested.com/tech/3d-printing/
jkahless Custom Title
Everyone I know who has a filament printer also has a collection of mutants. I imagine resin printers are more reliable with fewer moving parts.
TOS
yeah but will the resin fumes turn my kids into mutants?
ukimalefu Canadized
TOS posted:
yeah but will the resin fumes turn my kids into mutants?

If you want them to be X-men, then no. But nobody should inhale those fumes anyway. And no they wouldn't turn into plastic man either ;)

Filament or resin, aren't both different kinds of plastic? one starts solid, gets melted and hardens again. The other one starts liquid and gets turned into solid. So I'm guessing the filament would maybe release more fumes? you really don't want to inhale any fumes.

I've seen videos about 3d printers, and I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure they always mention that ventilation is important.
It all comes down to size and resolution. Reasonably priced resin printers have tiny build areas when compared to filament printers. So if you want to print big stuff, you need to chunk it up into smaller pieces and then glue it all together with the resin printer, when an FDM might print it all in one go. However, resin printers kick filament printers butts when it comes to detail level. Because they print in finer layers, their prints don’t need as much post print prep work to make an acceptable final product. Ideally, you want one of each! :D

Resin is also considerably more expensive than filament, and needs far more careful handling.
jkahless Custom Title
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
jkahless posted:

:crazed:

Too bad that thing probably costs as much as a new car.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
jkahless posted:

I bet the trigger mods to turn a legal AR into a full auto are already on the internet!
jkahless Custom Title
maurvir posted:
jkahless posted:

:crazed:

Too bad that thing probably costs as much as a new car.

https://proto3000.com/product/desktop-m ... d-printer/

Or a new plane.
ukimalefu Canadized
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
What do you want to make and how ventilated is the area?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
ukimalefu posted:

That was always a silly joke - hell yes people would download/pirate a car if they could.
TOS
mmaverick posted:
What do you want to make and how ventilated is the area?

mostly small stuff, game pieces, little sculptures ... hoping to get my kids into design tech (and learn it myself), nothing big

i think they'll be much more into it if it's got that detail than if they have to sand it down afterward

my desk is in the kitchen, beside the back door, so i can get some airflow if necessary

if it weren't for the issue of fumes i'd just go with a resin printer, but i'm concerned about it
but you seem like a handy guy, i'm sure if you got a cheapo stove vent hood you could rig something up
TOS
those things don't vent outside
in that case, couldn't you put a high flow fan [radiator cpu fan] in the top or side lid cover of the printer attached with some dryer vent tubing routed out the garage. you could place outside the hose than put it away once done and not have to worry about permanent modifying your garage
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I wouldn’t put a resin printer in a living space.

I also wouldn’t put a filament printer into a high traffic space like the kitchen. If the printer wasn’t thrown into the garage within a day, I would be.
To anyone with a 3D printer, here is a project you might consider.

That blue part is called an Ear Saver.
Quote:
Anyone wearing elastic-ear masks to stay safe can get Ear Savers for free right now at Glowforge.com. They’re 100% free for nonprofits. For companies and for individuals, they just need to pay shipping and handling.

Quote:
I have a laser, but it’s not a Glowforge Printer. Can I participate?

Yes - we’d love your help! You can visit the files and instructions page and make whatever adjustments you need to make it work with the tools you have.

Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I think I might be able to do that with an X-Acto Knife.
I suggest filament for ease of use. Unless of course you intend to do lots of fine detail printing of small objects where resin excels. If your need for resin printed items is infrequent, you could always pay for somebody else to print it.
ukimalefu Canadized
I think, if it was me, I would lean more toward filament... but having said that, I just found this:

Monoprice MP Mini Deluxe SLA LCD High Resolution Resin 3D Printer (Duplicator 7 Plus) + 250ml Photopolymer Resin - $199.99

wait!

there's a cheaper filament printer, $150

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21666

-

This post is NOT sponsored by monoprice

:D
just decide, okay?
60% 60% [ 3 ]
40% 40% [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

filament vs. resin printing