Damaged OS X installer

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
If the file can be separated into zipped chunks it's much easier to get because only the chunks that failed to download have to be re-downloaded instead of starting over.

Anyone remember warez on yahoo? Like that.
If you are syncing to a dropbox folder and lose connection. in theory the sync should start up where it crapped out.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
ukimalefu posted:
oh, I know, I'd like to have Garageband and iMovie (is that still a thing?)

I don't know what the last version iMovie you used was, but yes it's still a thing, although it's a completely different (and better IMO) program than the original version. Not sure if its backwards-compatible.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Ribtor posted:
If the file can be separated into zipped chunks it's much easier to get because only the chunks that failed to download have to be re-downloaded instead of starting over.

Anyone remember warez on yahoo? Like that.

Even better: Split the installer up into rar segments and build a generous amount of parity files to go with so a bit of lost data here and there can be repaired.
MacParDelux should do the trick.
macnuke Afar
I remember using stuffit deluxe to partition and stuff multi mb files into 1.40 sit files so they would fit on diskettes. I had human waste that you went thru as many as 12 or 13 disks to get it all unstuffed.
dv
macnuke posted:
I remember using stuffit deluxe to partition and stuff multi mb files into 1.40 sit files so they would fit on diskettes. I had human waste that you went thru as many as 12 or 13 disks to get it all unstuffed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8FTPv955I
ukimalefu Canadized
Metacell posted:
ukimalefu posted:

I don't know what the last version iMovie you used was, but yes it's still a thing, although it's a completely different (and better IMO) program than the original version. Not sure if its backwards-compatible.

OH, NEVERMIND

I believe I have to downlaod Apple Apps from my own Apple account anyway, right?
ukimalefu Canadized
the mojave patcher was able to resume the download from apple
dv
ukimalefu posted:
Metacell posted:
ukimalefu posted:

OH, NEVERMIND

I believe I have to downlaod Apple Apps from my own Apple account anyway, right?

Correct.
<sigh> Now my old 2012 MBP is no longer running at all. Sure, it was only constantly MAYBE rebooting with only the fans revving up to full speed (and doing that in a cycle of running for about 10-20 minutes before powering back down before restarting) and not even getting the startup chime, but now even that cycle has stopped. Pressing on the startup button does nothing now.

I'm going to let it discharge as much as it can over the next few days before plugging it back in.
ukimalefu Canadized
have you tried

zapping the pram?

resetting the smc

resetting the pmu

booting from an external drive?

I'm really not sure what you are trying to do.
All I really would like my old MBP to do is just boot up again like it had been doing up to last Saturday.

I had tried the your combinations but considering that I am not even getting a startup bong it is evident that that MBP could not do any of your suggestions. AND NOW I cannot get the fans to start up even when I press and hold down the startup button.

It may be that for whatever reasons this MBP is truly dead which is a great disappointment considering that my 17-inch MBP--which is 5 years older--is still running (not well considering its problems with running 10.10 Yosemite and 10.11 El Captian, but I got it to boot up again with 10.6 Snow Leopard).

My thought was that EVENTUALLY I would set up my 2012 MBP to run whatever was the most current version of macOS X that it could (which was 10.15.5 Catalina) and to set it up with a bare minimum of what I needed for a travel laptop. That way the US Border Patrol could have free access to its full contents should I ever cross a US international border (or even approach one as has happened in several cases).

OR I might have opted for what you are doing with your new Mac mini (ALL HAIL!) and backstep it to 10.14 Mojave to regain access to 32-bit programs.
ukimalefu Canadized
oh, wait, does it have an internal battery for the clock? a Mac (all computers?) may refuse to turn on if that battery is dead.

Try this:

Before trying to turn it on, plug the power cable and wait a while, really, like 20 minutes or more. It may seem like voodoo, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Leave the power cable plugged in, and then try turn it on.

Cross your fingers. Good luck.
I scanned iFixIt.com for my 2012 MBP and it appears NOT to have a PRAM batttery at all.

Oh, well. Thanks for the idea.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DEyncourt posted:
I scanned iFixIt.com for my 2012 MBP and it appears NOT to have a PRAM batttery at all.

If it really is dead, do you have any plans for it? If not, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it.
maurvir posted:
DEyncourt posted:

If it really is dead, do you have any plans for it? If not, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it.

Well, heh, IT LIVES kinda-sorts. Right now it has gotten BACK to the state where the fans will begin to spin up after clicking on--as opposed to pressing and holding down--the power button, but still no startup bong and nothing further. At least NOW it has stopped cycling through attempting to restart every 20 minutes or so.

For now I shall let the battery run out before plugging it back in, so, no, uki, I haven't yet tried your suggestion of plugging it back in for 20+ minutes.
macnuke Afar
https://recyclemac.org

they reference DosDude also.. but they give a touch more info
ukimalefu Canadized
macnuke posted:
https://recyclemac.org

they reference DosDude also.. but they give a touch more info

I think this is the link we want...

https://recyclemac.org/2020/02/16/can-g ... ac-part-1/
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
If my experience with this 2009 MBP is any indication, these old Macs can still run Linux very well. Use a light distro with a browser like Brave or Chromium, and they run just fine.

ChromeOS is fine for what it is, but I suppose I use my computer for too many things other than what Google provides in the GApps.
maurvir posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Um, sorry, but I should have thought this through. This is a problem with Apple's sealed design: I cannot remove that MBP's SSD as apparently it is soldered in. Until I can figure out some way to wipe its SSD this MBP--and its secrets* :) --stays with me.

Yes, my 2012 MBP is truly dead now. I called Apple and they suggested some local Mac repair shops, but even the ones that are open and are accepting new work offered just to look at it for $45/hour, 2 hour minimum. I could afford that, but I transferred everything to my 2019 16-inch MBP months before the 2012 MBP died so I am not required to get that one running again except to perform an SSD wipe.

* The pron I don't care much about, but there are files and other items with personal info like serial numbers that I bought and passwords which I DO care about.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
Did you really not encrypt your drive with FileVault?
obvs posted:
Did you really not encrypt your drive with FileVault?

I DID use FileVault, but that only means that decryption is delayed especially since by that time the SSD will be out of my control.

I THINK that I would not be of sufficient interest to anyone that someone would employ advanced decrypting techniques, but some hacker conceivably may attempt to decrypt my SSD just for the challenge. And who knows: perhaps breakthroughs in quantum computing would render all current crypto techniques useless. To be sure: I believe that hackers would be mostly disappointed after cracking in, but I would rather have them not bother because my SSD is nearly unreadable by clearing out the drive myself.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
Have you tried target disk mode?

Personally, if one of my own drives is FileVaulted, I am pretty secure not believing that anyone would be breaking into it(partially because I am not a major target and possibly because the technology of interfaces changes so rapidly that most people won't have compatible interfaces within a few years anyway). I think people overestimate others' interest, and breaking a FileVault-encrypted drive is definitely well past the point of diminishing returns.

But if target disk mode works, you can plug the system in, boot it as an external, and wipe it. I have definitely seen target disk mode work on systems that had otherwise failed.
obvs posted:
Have you tried target disk mode?
[snip]

That was one of the first things I tried (and if I had failed to ever mention this, my apologies), but I will note that now my 2012 MBP does not even give the startup "bong" nor does the screen light up so the point of failure is before those things happen.

AND I should note that that MBP has problems with its built-in keyboard. When it first started to have problems, it was just the "1" through "4" keys (which was why I got an Apple Bluetooth keyboard) but later the delete key stopped working. I cannot say for certain that this problem could not have spread to other keys so perhaps now includes the "T" key as well.
ukimalefu Canadized
if the information on that drive is SO sensitive, hit it with a couple 12 gauge shotgun shots and then set it on fire, or better yet, use thermite on it if you can.

:D
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Damaged OS X installer

Page: 1, 2