Damaged OS X installer

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot], Séamas, ukimalefu
ukimalefu Canadized
The high sierra installer I had says it can install because it's damaged.

I've used it before, and it was stored in a drawer.

Disk Utility says the flash drive is fine, so "repairing" it is not an option.

Anything I can do other than downloading catalina from the app store? (it would take like 10 hours, yes, my internet is that slow)
dv
Bit rot happens. Practically speaking, you're going to have to download it again. Let us know if you would like it chopped up into a multi-part archive.
ukimalefu Canadized
dv posted:
Let us know if you would like it chopped up into a multi-part archive.

That would be nice, and it would be safer I guess, this morning I started the download and BOOM! power outage! no update for you! but there's no rush.

After that, iwas able to watch the crew dragon reach the ISS, live.

It would be like what, a week of downloading a piece each day, vs being lucky to have a stable connection for several hours. The catalina update is over 8 gb.

But I will try again.
Old Yoda agitator
Apple OS X installers call "mother" to see - I don't know what.
If you are not connected some king of error appears.
I have also noticed that if the installer is more than a year old it is also rejected.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
It's not damaged, it's no longer "official." This happened to me too, with the official upgrade app that came with my computer. And all that does it download it and install from the internet, but the app itself is no longer "official." Yeah, apple has gotten really bad lately. Sadly, a lot of it just seems like negligence.
ukimalefu Canadized
Metacell posted:
It's not damaged, it's no longer "official." This happened to me too, with the official upgrade app that came with my computer. And all that does it download it and install from the internet, but the app itself is no longer "official." Yeah, apple has gotten really bad lately. Sadly, a lot of it just seems like negligence.

could I trick it by disconnecting from the internet? or by changing the date on the mac?
Old Yoda agitator
ukimalefu posted:

could I trick it by disconnecting from the internet? or by changing the date on the mac?

You cannot disconnect, it gives an error.
Long, long ago someone showed me how to open packages and mess with a plist file (I think) but I forget.
Uki want me to share a dropbox folder with it?
ukimalefu Canadized
avkills posted:
Uki want me to share a dropbox folder with it?

The installer I have is high sierra because that's best my father's mini can take. I actually got that for him.

My new mini can take Catalina.

My priority right now is to update my Mac, but I'm no rush, really.

And I'd like to have a physical installer for my father's mac because after all, I'm his tech support, so I'd have to go reinstall Mac OS if he ever needs that.
ukimalefu Canadized
Old Yoda posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Long, long ago someone showed me how to open packages and mess with a plist file (I think) but I forget.

to be clear, I have the installer on a flash drive, and I've used it before, but now it says it's damaged
Old Yoda agitator
ukimalefu posted:
Old Yoda posted:
ukimalefu posted:

to be clear, I have the installer on a flash drive, and I've used it before, but now it says it's damaged

As Metacell said it is not damaged, Apple will not accept it. I'm sure it will not work on your fathers machine any more either.
I have similar problems because of my satellite connection. I have a work around, not perfect but it works.
You need an external drive.
Make a bootable clone of your fathers drive.
Boot from the external and create a new user.
Reboot as the new user.
Delete your fathers account.
Run OnyX to clean things up.
Now you have the option to migrate your own account via Migration Assistant or manually set up your account and copy files.

I have had to do this several times with my wife's machine and other octogenarian satellite users I support.

I know it is not the best way but . . .
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
Metacell posted:
Well, it can depend.

There are different versions of macOS installers. Some are stub installers, and do require a network connection to complete the download. But the ones that are full installers can complete the installation without a network connection.
Hey, uki, do you recall in your old string I had mentioned an SSD here?

Well, I got that. It has been working like a champ. I HAD installed 10.6 Snow Leopard on it so you could use it to boot up your OLD Mac mini just in case Ribtor's Mac mini didn't find its way out of the Customs labyrinth. ALL HAIL THE NEW MAC MINI!

But seeing your problems in this string, I looked around and HEY! I found this page which has recommendations for creating a bootable INSTALLATION drive for 10.13 High Sierra. Even better: it has links to other pages for the creation of bootable installation drives for 10.7 Lion through 10.14 Mojave. Unfortunately there is a basic problem with 10.7 Lion through 10.9 Mavericks that one MUST have purchased their installation disks and I have yet to find my Lion installation disk.

So here is my plan:

1) I shall reformat the SSD into 6 partitions: one huge one taking up most of the drive and five 8-GB partitions for 10.6 Snow Leopard and 10.10 Yosemite through 10.14 Mojave.

2) I will set up each of those smaller partitions into bootable installation drives for each version. That way when you get the SSD you can use it to fix and upgrade other Macs that are compatible. Huh, maybe I should do this for myself too?

3) that larger partition will have the basic files for installation for each version and the last combo update for each, along with the same for 10.15 Catalina.

4) I have also downloaded the latest copies of Chrome, Waterfox and Firefox. You want any other freeware?

Huh. I see that my 2012 MBP originally came with 10.7 Lion and I had updated it all the way through 10.15 Catalina. Perhaps I can persuade Apple to let me have a free copies? So maybe eight 8-GB partitions? Heh, calling Apple now....

Oh, don't worry that those 40 to 64 GBs in partitions crowding out the remainder. That SSD I got was a 1 TB version (formatted it "only" has 960 GBs).
I did have a nice talk with Apple Support who directed me to an option which would allow me to install the ORIGINAL macOS which came with a given system, but instead of installing 10.7 Lion on my 2012's hard drive I could put that installler into its own partition.

So still six partitions, but that first one for the macOSes will be for 10.7 Lion instead of 10.6 Snow Leopard. And I will try to install that onto my older 17-inch MBP which still only has Snow Leopard on it.

So lots of stuff to do but then I ain't going anywhere.
Old Yoda agitator
obvs posted:
Metacell posted:
Well, it can depend.

There are different versions of macOS installers. Some are stub installers, and do require a network connection to complete the download. But the ones that are full installers can complete the installation without a network connection.

Where can one get this?
I have found them from apple by google searching, you can't get them through the store. I don't know why they hide them, they allow you to download them freely.
macnuke Afar
http://dosdude1.com/resources.html

you can go there..... download the patcher...
after you download the patcher.... launch it.

then you can go up top in the menu and download the complete installer from Apple..
not the little one that needs internet to work. but the complete installer.
sierra.
high sierra
mojave
catalina

all there.
use the patcher for your Hacks and for your old cheese graters.
for installing MacOS like your Mac had back in the day, launch the patcher and goto the Menu bar TOOLS and select Download macOS (whichever you are needing)
like I said, it's direct full installer and once on your USB, no internet needed.
RATS! I could not get my 2012 MBP to download 10.7 Lion, so back to the original setup.

-----

Again RATS! I finally located my old Airport Express (AX). I am a man of strong habits and so when I found that my AX was not in its expected spot, I thought that maybe I had already given it away but had forgotten about that. While I was rummaging through old boxes trying to find the box for my 2012 MBP to see if it had an OS 10.7 Lion installation disk (it did NOT), I came across my old AX. Unfortunately NOW from the markings I had put on it, I can recall that its problem was that its WiFi failed in some way and so it is no longer functional. And I should dispose of it properly so I am not reminded of it.

My apologies, uki, but no Airport Express from me. Apple no longer makes any Airport routers too.
macnuke Afar
Metacell posted:
I have found them from apple by google searching, you can't get them through the store. I don't know why they hide them, they allow you to download them freely.

Apple also has a checker... if they do not deem your machine worthy of the version you are requesting.. you are outa luck.
macnuke posted:
Metacell posted:

Apple also has a checker... if they do not deem your machine worthy of the version you are requesting.. you are outa luck.

Yeah, and that includes the versions that came with your computer. I think they want you only to upgrade to their latest OS. If you want to just go up one version from what you have installed, you have to work for it.
macnuke Afar
Metacell posted:
macnuke posted:
Metacell posted:

Yeah, and that includes the versions that came with your computer. I think they want you only to upgrade to their latest OS. If you want to just go up one version from what you have installed, you have to work for it.

dosdude has made it very easy.
macnuke posted:
Metacell posted:
macnuke posted:
Metacell posted:

Despite my bitchy tone, I am glad to hear it, thanks.
macnuke Afar
Metacell posted:
macnuke posted:
Metacell posted:
macnuke posted:
Metacell posted:

Despite my bitchy tone, I am glad to hear it, thanks.

when sitting on a 2009 Mac Pro... and the boatload of cash it cost to begin with... then upgrading as I could.... and the total loss of Apple support. I can certainly understand your frustration.

I have two processor trays.. my next project is to take the old 2.66 quad and stick a 3.46 hex in it.

3.46 hex (12 thread) .. soon i hope.
3.33 quad (8 thread) current to be replaced.
currently has....
hardware accel
NVMe in the second PCIe 12x slot for Boot OS and some applications.
Radeon RX580 8G gpu ( Flashed with Apple EFI) in the 1st 12x slot.
2x SSDs mounted on PCIe adapters in the 4x slots.
Catalina 10.15.4 currently cause i like to stay at least .1 behind unless there is a big reason to upgrade all the way to current.
the current PCs and Macs are not much ahead of this dog.
ukimalefu Canadized
DEyncourt posted:

My apologies, uki, but no Airport Express from me. Apple no longer makes any Airport routers too.

it's ok, don't worry

I'm surprised they don't make them anymore, since they like everything being wireless these days.
ukimalefu Canadized
Tried to change the date on the mac and disconnect from the internet, and instead of saying it was damaged the installer gave me a weird error and crashes hard.

I'm now trying to download Catalina from the app store again. Wish me luck.

And about making a new bootable drive for high sierra, I only have that "broken" installer to work with... I hope I don't need it any time soon.
More fun working with old macOSes.

After I tried to use the macOS recovery method to get 10.7 Lion onto the external drive (and then giving up because I could not get Apple to download Lion), I let my 2012 MBP reboot BUT a funny thing happened: I don't know exactly when this happened because I wasn't paying attention, but that MBP now does not boot up. Worse, it appears to be stuck where it is trying to start up but it ONLY gets as far as getting the fans spun up; no startup bong; the screen doesn't light up at all. This happens over and over again over about a 15 minute cycle.

I called Apple Support about this, and after going through a number of things to try to get my old MBP restarted my Support gal gave up and e-mailed me the addresses and phone numbers to two local tech shops that deal with Apple products. I haven't called them yet.

This IS problematic because my new 16-inch MBP is compatible only with 10.15 Catalina (or newer, of course). I won't be able to do any installation of any older versions of macOS using it. I have used my old 17-inch MBP to install 10.6 Snow Leopard but I can use it to only install up to 10.11 El Capitan as that is the last version of macOS with which that 17-inch MBP is compatible.

-----

The saga of the SSD continues.

I tried setting it up with 8 GB partitions for the various OSes based on the recommendation from that guy who set up installers for macOSes only to find that 10.6.8 Snow Leopard by itself requires 13 GB.

I tried 16 GB partitions but the first step of installing the 10.10 Yosemite updater all but filled up the rest (leaving only a half-gig of space) thus making it impossible to run the updater.

<sigh> I reset all the OS partitions with 32 GBs. This leaves 13 GBs of space for the updaters to use. The last partition still has 734 GBs although about 70 GBs is taken up by the base installaters and their respective combo updaters.
I have tried to change the "10 Yosemite" partition from 10.6.8 Snow Leopard to 10.10 Yosemite but somewhat similar to what happened before the installation is taking FOREVER.

So perhaps the problem with my old 17-inch MBP was NOT with the hard drive? But this problem with installing Yosemite on it wouldn't explain why back when I was still using it as my main Mac I had updated it from 10.4 Tiger through 10.7 Lion (when I replaced this with my 2012 MBP), and then on through 10.11 El Capitan while my mom was using it.

<grumble>
I called one of the repair shops that Apple had recommended. They said that since Apple no longer offers any repair parts for a 2012 MBP that they wouldn't even take a look at it.

I called the other shop and they will be not be taking in any new repair work until next week.
I'm giving up the 10.10 Yosemite upgrade as a loss. Everytime it will get only so far into rebooting (and MAYBE updating) but sometime during that process it gives up and shuts down. When I had pressed any key, it SOUNDS like it is attempting to restart (I can hear the builtin Apple DVD drive give a few characteristic clicks but there is no start up bong nor will the screen light up. I have to unplug the power and pull the battery just to allow me to reboot.

Given my previous experience with my 17-inch MBP I don't think the 10.11 El Capitan upgrade will work but I will give it a try.
juice Inadvertently correct
I’m running El Cap on a 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 thanks to some direction provided by obvs. The latest version of El Cap is a known issue but 10.11.6 is rock solid.
My 17-inch MBP is even later than yours: the Mid/Late 2007 version (A1261), and it had been running El Cap when it was last fully functioning, but at the end it began to take longer and longer to boot up when I went shopping with my mom to get her a new iMac (the 21.5-inch). Fortunately I was able to get that 17-incher going one last time to transfer her files from it to a backup on an external drive, that is before my current project with it.
Crap! I've given up trying to install macOSes onto partitions of the SSD because at the moment I have no way to install nor test them. The attempt to install 10.11 El Capitan ended up the same as 10.10 Yosemite: stuck somewhere in the upgrade process.

Instead I have repartitioned it into a single partition and have copied what I can to it: the installation files for 10.6 Snow Leopard and SOME installations and updaters for 10.7 Lion and 10.10 Yosemite through 10.15 Catalina, plus the current versions of Firefox (77.0 and the ESR 68.9), Chrome and Waterfox. As soon as the rest of this first batch of stuff gets to me, I'll box it all up and have UPS ship it.

Any other large files of free stuff that you want me to copy to that SSD, uki?
ukimalefu Canadized
DEyncourt posted:
Crap! I've given up trying to install macOSes onto partitions of the SSD because at the moment I have no way to install nor test them. The attempt to install 10.11 El Capitan ended up the same as 10.10 Yosemite: stuck somewhere in the upgrade process.

Instead I have repartitioned it into a single partition and have copied what I can to it: the installation files for 10.6 Snow Leopard and SOME installations and updaters for 10.7 Lion and 10.10 Yosemite through 10.15 Catalina, plus the current versions of Firefox (77.0 and the ESR 68.9), Chrome and Waterfox. As soon as the rest of this first batch of stuff gets to me, I'll box it all up and have UPS ship it.

Large files of free stuff? what exactly do you mean? I can't think of anything right now. Actual free stuff isn't usually big... uhm... surprise me? whatever you think could be useful, or fun? and remember this mac is from 2014, and will be running OS X mojave.
Sorry Uki, I have been hammered down right now. If you have dropbox, it should be easy to copy the installs I have on there. From there you just copy them to the Applications folder on pretty much any Mac and then google how to make the install USB for that particular OS version.

(I probably can't do anything until this weekend)
ukimalefu Canadized
avkills posted:
Sorry Uki, I have been hammered down right now. If you have dropbox, it should be easy to copy the installs I have on there. From there you just copy them to the Applications folder on pretty much any Mac and then google how to make the install USB for that particular OS version.

Easy? I suppose, but it still involves a long download.

I'm downloading the mojave installer right now. After I'm done with that, including installing my most used apps and files, I'll look into making a bootable flash drive with a high sierra installer, but I guess that would be in a few days.

I... think I had a dropbox... but I'm not sure.
ukimalefu posted:
avkills posted:

Easy? I suppose, but it still involves a long download.

I'm downloading the mojave installer right now. After I'm done with that, including installing my most used apps and files, I'll look into making a bootable flash drive with a high sierra installer, but I guess that would be in a few days.

I... think I had a dropbox... but I'm not sure.

I can send a link for a direct download, just using a browser.
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Large files of free stuff? what exactly do you mean? I can't think of anything right now. Actual free stuff isn't usually big... uhm... surprise me? whatever you think could be useful, or fun? and remember this mac is from 2014, and will be running OS X mojave.

Well, anything that you've hesitated to download because their installation files are largish and with your flakey power and such you hesistate to even try.

Like GoogleEarthPro for Macs. Its installation file is 78 MBs and isn't any problem for me to download.

Mind you: I cannot test to see if any of these are 10.14 Mojave-compatible. At this moment my only working Mac is my new MBP and it can run only 10.15 Catalina or newer.
ukimalefu Canadized
DEyncourt posted:
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Well, anything that you've hesitated to download because their installation files are largish and with your flakey power and such you hesistate to even try.

Like GoogleEarthPro for Macs. Its installation file is 78 MBs and isn't any problem for me to download.

Mind you: I cannot test to see if any of these are 10.14 Mojave-compatible. At this moment my only working Mac is my new MBP and it can run only 10.15 Catalina or newer.

The only way I can download anything of any size without worry, is torrents. It doesn't matter if the power went out of if the computer crashed, transmission just resumes the download, no problem. As far as I know, web browsers can't do that, I've tried, the best I ever got was a browser being able to restart the download, not resume them. It may have something to do with servers.

Google earth is cool to play with, but I don't use it much, in fact, I haven't used it in a long time. I use google maps on the browser more, and ven then, it's not often.

You don't have to test stuff if the source tells you the minimum system requirements. Free stuff... oh, I know, I'd like to have Garageband and iMovie (is that still a thing?), they're free from apple, there's also I believe there are free extras for those that can be downloaded separately.
Bummer, well I have it uploaded to dropbox if you want to try I will send you a private message with the share.
ukimalefu Canadized
By the way, I was downloading mojave today, and when I was almost done, the power went out :roll: :mad: :(

Will try again tomorrow.

How would dropbox be different than downloading from apple?

-

I got in, I do have a dropbox! :D

I'd try it... but do tell me more
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Damaged OS X installer

Page: 1, 2