Unable to log in with Apple ID when restoring Lion from Web?

Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
Long story short, my mom asked me to fix her Mac mini so she was given new brand new one and I took her old one and put an SSD into it.

I can boot to the web installer from holding Option while booting, and it offers to install OS X Lion for me, except it will not accept my Apple ID and password. I know they are correct because I can log into iCloud with those credentials. I tried appending the 2FA code to the end of the password like I had to do with an older iPod, and now it says something bla bla for my protection and won't let me log in.

I don't have another Mac to burn a dmg from, and it's a longer process than I'd like from my main computer, so I would really like this to work. Apple forums are convincing me that I don't have the problem that I have, as usual.

Are there any steps I can take to make it do the thing it's supposed to do?

:facepalm:

[edit] Broke through the login by some miracle and now it says 'This item is temporarily unavailable. Please try again.'

[edit2] I guess I'm downloading an image of El Capitan after all.

[edit3] I now remember why I stopped using Mac OS.

Last edited by yelow on Wed May 20, 2020 1:48 am.

From my experiences with trying to (re)load old versions of macOS X in this string:

Apple stubbornly has refused to allow the mid-range versions of macOS X--specifically from OS X 10.5 Leopard through 10.9 Mavericks--to be accessible by users for free from Apple. The only reason I was able to install 10.6 Snow Leopard onto one of my older MacBook Pros was because I still have the installation disk. I THINK I have the install disks for 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion SOMEWHERE but so far my dredging through my old stuff hasn't brought either to light (yet--I have too much stuff).

You can buy the install disk for 10.7 Lion from Apple here or 10.8 Mountain Lion here. Each of these are US$20. Of course only available via shipment from Apple and not through any of their Apple Stores UNLESS if you are in Alaska, Idaho, Alabama and South Carolina. According to this article the Boise, Idaho, Apple Store should have opened TODAY with some stores the other three states opening later this week (on the other hand, even if you are in Boise most likely they will not have these install disks in stock at hand).

BTW: apparently 10.9 Mavericks is not available ANYWHERE, even from Apple. There are copies being sold via eBay and such.

Unfortunately from what I had experienced: even trying to install 10.10 Yosemite or 10.11 El Capitan REQUIRES an installation of at oldest 10.6 Snow Leopard AFTER which the updateS--there are two sets--to version 10.6.8 are also required BEFORE attempting an upgrade to Yosemite or El Cap. I never got El Cap installed on my old 17" MBP.
macnuke Afar
Downloaded a copy of El Capitan and burned it to a thumb drive, doesn't boot.

Downloaded a copy of Mountain Lion and brought it to my mother's house after work today. Disk Utility refused to restore it to a thumb drive. Errors out with some generic complaint.

Downloaded a copy of Disk Imager X and tried to burn it to a thumb drive - Catalina doesn't have the ObjC library the FileMaker application was written with.

Downloaded a copy of Catalina via the App Store, and burned it to a thumb drive using Disk Imager 9. Mini doesn't want to boot from it, refuses to even see the drive.

Tried to log in with my mother's account for a Lion restore, got the same Temporariliy Unavailable error.

I would just use the restore discs but there weren't any that shipped with that mini, or this one.

What a stick fiddling shitshow. I'm installing Debian on it and calling it a day like I planned to. Apple and their blatherskite can eat my shorts.

Apple originally said being able to dl their software would be easy and a convenience when everyone was panicking about not having a physical disk for this reason. It was, at first, but has become the exact opposite. I wiped my drive by accident and also could not get El Captain to dl. So I needed to go to Pirate Bay to dl it. Then I had all kinds of issues making a bootable thumb drive and almost gave up until it was magically recognized at 4AM and then I was able to load it. It took me literally 2 stick fiddling days to do what should have been "easy" and "convenient". Thanks Apple!
Lombo Opiofiend
I agree that installing Mac OS has become harder than doing a windows install and that is pitiful. I remember the good days of Snow Leopard where it took 15 minutes to clean install. What a Shitshow this has become.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
yelow posted:
Downloaded a copy of El Capitan and burned it to a thumb drive, doesn't boot.

Downloaded a copy of Mountain Lion and brought it to my mother's house after work today. Disk Utility refused to restore it to a thumb drive. Errors out with some generic complaint.

Downloaded a copy of Disk Imager X and tried to burn it to a thumb drive - Catalina doesn't have the ObjC library the FileMaker application was written with.

Downloaded a copy of Catalina via the App Store, and burned it to a thumb drive using Disk Imager 9. Mini doesn't want to boot from it, refuses to even see the drive.

Tried to log in with my mother's account for a Lion restore, got the same Temporariliy Unavailable error.

I would just use the restore discs but there weren't any that shipped with that mini, or this one.

What a stick fiddling shitshow. I'm installing Debian on it and calling it a day like I planned to. Apple and their blatherskite can eat my shorts.

That's what I said 8 years ago. Mint is my flavor.
Pariah posted:

I installed a copy of Tricia over my lunch break and just now came back to it to update it with the proprietary graphics and wifi drivers, codecs, and it's going through the updates.

It is just as snappy as the new mini is with Catalina, if not more-so.

As this is going back to my parents, I think I'm going to skin it with an OS X theme for the window manager and desktop and put a dock, just so I don't need to answer dumb questions. My mom's Lenovo laptop has been running Tessa skinned as Win 10 and she barely notices the difference.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
yelow posted:
Pariah posted:

I installed a copy of Tricia over my lunch break and just now came back to it to update it with the proprietary graphics and wifi drivers, codecs, and it's going through the updates.

It is just as snappy as the new mini is with Catalina, if not more-so.

As this is going back to my parents, I think I'm going to skin it with an OS X theme for the window manager and desktop and put a dock, just so I don't need to answer dumb questions. My mom's Lenovo laptop has been running Tessa skinned as Win 10 and she barely notices the difference.

If you have a Dock do you place a panel on top so you can host necessary applets like the calendar/clock, networking, updates....the usual.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I have found that using VMs makes like vastly easier, as it reduces the hardware issues by an order of magnitude. I do run Windows 10 natively on my office desktop for games, but I actually work in Windows 7 in a VM. It is every bit as snappy as it would be on the same physical hardware, but I can now manage it much more effectively.

I imagine MacOS is getting to the same point - where it would be easier in a VM than running on bare metal.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
I have found that using VMs makes like vastly easier, as it reduces the hardware issues by an order of magnitude. I do run Windows 10 natively on my office desktop for games, but I actually work in Windows 7 in a VM. It is every bit as snappy as it would be on the same physical hardware, but I can now manage it much more effectively.

I imagine MacOS is getting to the same point - where it would be easier in a VM than running on bare metal.

I'd like to run OSX in a VM. My understanding about why it is nearly impossible is that the VM devs are all scared of Apple so they gimp their VM software so it won't support OSX.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
It's not remotely nearly impossible. You can just use Clover.
obvs posted:
It's not remotely nearly impossible. You can just use Clover.

This. With Clover, a VM is just another damn PC. Some of the cool tricks, like auto-resizing the screen and such, might not work, but it will run.
Pariah posted:
If you have a Dock do you place a panel on top so you can host necessary applets like the calendar/clock, networking, updates....the usual.

Yea, I am an xfce fanboi so it would probably be plank and globalmenu.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
yelow posted:
Pariah posted:

Yea, I am an xfce fanboi so it would probably be plank and globalmenu.

To each their own but I have never thought that a Dock was very useful and I MUCH prefer the information density and smaller screen footprint of a panel.
Pariah posted:

To each their own

Indeed:

This is my current setup.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
That's pretty old school.
How did you get a modern window manager to look that much like System 7?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:

That looks like os8.6.
There is a good Platinum theme on Gnome Look dot org and MacOS folder themes are out there too and then Mint lets you position the window widgets anywhere you want so you can arrange them just like the old MacOS.
Linux offers a wide range of customization options.
This is how I have my Mint setup:

Cool stuff I'm not familiar with.
maurvir posted:

There are some painstakingly recreated themes from this time period, including Win95 and OpenSTEP.

I used a combo of applications and themes and custom fiddling with instructions found here
Pariah Know Your Enemy
yelow posted:
maurvir posted:

There are some painstakingly recreated themes from this time period, including Win95 and OpenSTEP.

I used a combo of applications and themes and custom fiddling with instructions found here

I have long been a bit sad that the way Linux draws windows, accurately replicating BeOS is not possible. I'd like tabbed windows in a dark theme but can't be done.
The old MacOS was really unique in having such a liquid GUI.
Everything you see in the screen shot I posted above are part of the default theme selection in Cinnamon except the widgets which are from a theme called FreeOSX Dark.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Unable to log in with Apple ID when restoring Lion from Web?