Thunderspy affects all computers with a Thunderbolt port

Online now: Google [Bot], Jonesy
Source.

A hacker will require physical access to the computer first to change Thunderbolt securiy, and then to reprogram the computer to bypass any OS security.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Meh. If someone gets physical access it is generally game over anyways.
Pariah posted:
Meh. If someone gets physical access it is generally game over anyways.

Sure, but the creator of Thunderspy points out that at least he can access a computer without leaving any traces of getting in.

He also stresses that part of the problem is how generally people leave their computers logged in but protected by a screen saver. Part of Thunderspy is able to get around at least Windows screen savers (I'm not sure about Linux or Mac OS' screen savers), so "all" you have to do prevent that from happening is to log out but when was the last time you did that?
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
The descriptions on that page seem to imply that it's only Windows that's vulnerable, but that Macs are vulnerable when booted into Windows.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
The descriptions on that page seem to imply that it's only Windows that's vulnerable, but that Macs are vulnerable when booted into Windows.

I know I cannot access files on my iPhone from my PC over USB when my phone is locked so I kinda figured OSX would be the same.I would be surprised if this was a problem on Linux but I don't know.
ukimalefu Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.
Quote:
MacOS computers are safe as long as they don’t have Windows or Linux installed via Bootcamp, as are Windows PCs that lack Thunderbolt support.

Quote:
There’s also a small selection of recent computers that are equipped with a specific security system from Intel known as Kernel Direct Memory Access Protection (Kernel DMA) that will prevent Thunderspy attacks.

Quote:
Concerned users can check if their machine is vulnerable using a free, open-source diagnostic app, which can immediately inform you if you are at risk

Download link for the diagnostic app (and the whole article) here:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-check-if- ... 1843397675
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
Robert B. posted:

:lol:
If someone nefarious is physically at my computer; they may want to worry about lead poisoning. ;)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Thunderspy affects all computers with a Thunderbolt port