Websites using "fake JPGs" (or WEBP VS JPG)

Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Majestic-12 [Bot], Pariah
ukimalefu Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.
What I mean is, these days, you go to some websites, and download and image using right-click / save as, and get .jpg, sometimes .jpeg file, and when you try to open it, it doesn't work (well, it happens to me, could my old software be to blame?).

Anyway, I don't remember how, but I discovered they're actually webp files. I just change the file extension to .webp, upload the file to an online image converter, and it has no problem converting it to an actual jpg.

And then I can use it for whatever I want... which includes posting it online WITH a link to the source, so it's not like I'm stealing anything.

Last edited by ukimalefu on Sat May 09, 2020 2:09 pm.

obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
Webp files aren't jpegs. Webp is an actual format from Google, and is used pretty extensively online now. Webp has a a lot of the benefits of jpeg, a lot of the benefits of png, and a lot of the benefits of gif, but it's just one format.

It's most likely your old software.

It's really annoying that Apple hasn't added webp support to macOS and iOS at this point, too.
obvs posted:
Webp files aren't jpegs. Webp is an actual format from Google, and is used pretty extensively online now. Webp has a a lot of the benefits of jpeg, a lot of the benefits of png, and a lot of the benefits of gif, but it's just one format.

It's most likely your old software.

It's really annoying that Apple hasn't added webp support to macOS and iOS at this point, too.

uh....

look at images on this website and open them in a new window/tab

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z49w ... e-drawings

I get this URL for the top image:

Code:
https://video-images.vice.com/articles/58dacb4ff40c145b8ee311a6/lede/1490734323721-Arinze_8.jpeg?crop=1xw:0.7862367021276596xh;center,center&resize=1600:*

See? it says .jpeg in there. That's what the file name is on the website.

But if download it, Preview or Photoshop CS5 can't open it. I download images all the time without any problem.

Could that be some kind of new jpg implementation?

Right now I'm on OS X 10.7.5 by the way.
Websites will often display webp images for browsers that don't suck, and jpeg files for Safari, because Safari only supports jpeg.

The page is likely rewriting the request to pull webp files for pretty much every browser in existence except for Safari at this point.
I don't use safari, I use chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit) very old, and most websites these days are telling me to updated, but I can't
Yeah, it presents webp files to Chrome. If you used Safari, it probably would present jpeg files instead.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
On Windows, both Paint and Paint.net open the file just fine as a webp file.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Every graphic capable app I have has been able to handle webp for quite awhile.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Websites using "fake JPGs" (or WEBP VS JPG)