WordPress Alternative

Online now: Google [Bot], iDaemon, Warin
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
I keep a website for my high school band (simple things-calendar, basic information, some information for classes, etc.) and have used WordPress for it for a couple years.

Twice in the past 6 months is has completely human waste the bed, and I've had to start from scratch. (If I weren't a complete idiot I could probably go in and fix it, but here we are.)

Is there something else that's better...Or at least relatively similar? I have a budget of $0, so there's that.

I don't have a ton of time go maintain code and play with it. I just want a simple wysiwyg solution.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
ukimalefu Canadized
There's this

https://www.wix.com/

I know it from youtubers I follow making videos about it. It's the one I'd try if I wanted to make a website. Seems to have good looking templates and easy to use.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
You a Google district? If so, just use Google Sites.

And yes WP gets hacked and goes down more than any other platform.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Robert B. posted:
Some people like Weebly.

https://www.weebly.com

My wife had a Weebly site for a while, and they are very easy to setup. She is an artist, yet she was able to update the site herself. It's pretty impressive technology.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Squarespace, too. I use it for my portfolio site, pretty straightforward.
dv
Namecheap's EasyWP hosted Wordpress has been nothing but reliable for me, fwiw. And their tech support is top notch. (I always seem to have trouble getting my SSL certificate configured, but they've completely automated that now for EasyWP Turbo, which wasn't an offering when I got started.)
Budget of $0.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
For now I took Malkin's advice and I'm transferring things to Google Sites. They've changed it up quite a bit since the last time I looked into it, and I think I'll be able to do what I need (albeit with some annoyances).

I do have a domain name registered, and I'll need to figure out how to point that in the right direction, but one thing at a time, I guess.
dv
Malkin posted:
Budget of $0.

Dammit. Missed that; sorry.
C. Ives posted:
For now I took Malkin's advice and I'm transferring things to Google Sites. They've changed it up quite a bit since the last time I looked into it, and I think I'll be able to do what I need (albeit with some annoyances).

I do have a domain name registered, and I'll need to figure out how to point that in the right direction, but one thing at a time, I guess.

Yeah, the new Sites give you slightly less control, but look a ton nicer. If you're using Google Calendar, Drive, Docs, etc. it will all integrate very nicely.

For projects like yours, I find the features you sacrifice are made up for by ease of maintenance. You're not trying to sell anything, so practical tends to win out. You can still make some decent enough looking sites.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

WordPress Alternative