New iPhone SE

Page: 1, 2, 3
Online now: Google [Bot]
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I just got my new SE!!
Looks and feels great. Charging now so I can get it all activated. I am a bit disappointed that it did not come with a tool to open the sim door, I thought they included those.
The included ear buds are useless to me. The way my ear is shaped they just fall right out no matter what. Just a totally bad shape for me. I expected that. Most of Apple's peripherals have been human waste since 1998.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
There should be a sim tool in the box. It’s in a cardboard holder.
And I missed UPS today!!! The one second I wasn't home! I specifically called them yesterday and asked if a sig was required and was told no and it's not. Why it wasn't left is beyond me! So it looks like tomorrow for me!!!~!~!
Well I can't badmouth UPS. They just called me and will make a second delivery attempt today at 5P. I guess it pays to complain, but regardless, how cool is that! And to be fair, the UPS rep said that the driver could tell it was a phone and did not feel comfortable leaving it, and so it was a judgement call. But my condo unit is at the very end of a hallway and it's a very small association with only 7 units, and is pretty nice, so... Bad call. Glad they are going above and beyond to fix the situation though.
Stupid sim card from my iPhone 6 from Sprint wasn't compatible with the new SE. I didn't expect that. I had to run down to Sprint, and of course they didn't have a generic one and charged me $10! Nothing is ever easy and rarely free.

So the phone runs like butter. My Hue light app was barely usable on my 6s and runs like butter on this. Also, I was able to add my debit card to Apple Pay for touchless pay at stores which is something I could not do before (add my debit card) so that's cool too!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
wellfleation posted:
Stupid sim card from my iPhone 6 from Sprint wasn't compatible with the new SE. I didn't expect that. I had to run down to Sprint, and of course they didn't have a generic one and charged me $10! Nothing is ever easy and rarely free.

So the phone runs like butter. My Hue light app was barely usable on my 6s and runs like butter on this. Also, I was able to add my debit card to Apple Pay for touchless pay at stores which is something I could not do before (add my debit card) so that's cool too!

Ran into the same issue. I feel kinda dumb for not checking in advance about sim compatibility. I assumed and assumed wrong.
Ting is sending me one for free.
That's odd. According to this page from Apple, the new iPhone SE should be using the same "Nano-SIM card" as most of the iPhone line, back to the iPhone 5 (all sub-versions).
Pariah Know Your Enemy
DEyncourt posted:
That's odd. According to this page from Apple, the new iPhone SE should be using the same "Nano-SIM card" as most of the iPhone line, back to the iPhone 5 (all sub-versions).

The Ting rep I spoke with said the sim from my 5c was the right size but the circuitry is different than what I need to get on sprint with the SE.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
How about Mint?
That's a bummer. Sprint seems to have very different requirements. I've always received excellent service from Ting though. You'll be fully up and running in no time!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Malkin posted:
That's a bummer. Sprint seems to have very different requirements. I've always received excellent service from Ting though. You'll be fully up and running in no time!

Oh, I know. I have been with Ting for...sheesh...guess it's been near 8 years now. I am quite happy with them and their support staff has been consistently great over the years.
I should have my new sim today or tomorrow.
Pariah posted:
DEyncourt posted:

The Ting rep I spoke with said the sim from my 5c was the right size but the circuitry is different than what I need to get on sprint with the SE.

Well I was bs but happy to pay the $10 to get my phone up ASAP. Of course it's the exact same phone as my 6s except much more powerful and better in every single way which is what is all I wanted. In fact, I would like the iPhone 5 size and be very happy! Obviously I hate big phones. I have the iPhone XR as my company phone and would hate to carry that thing in my pocket all day. But then again, my phone is used for email, streaming Sirius (on 2nd Gen Apple TV off my home theater), streaming iPhone directly from podcast, texting, FaceTime with my daughter, and vey light gaming.The battery is the ONLY weak point for this phone but that only show's with high processing/gaming so I'm confident I will be fine for a full day of use easy. Plus I ordered and received the 18W charger for fast charging and my back-up is a 10W. Why Apple even includes their stupid 5w charger I have no idea, It's insulting.
On a side note, I get my WHITE case from I ordered Apple's Silicone Case in WHITE and it will arrive tomorrow
Pariah Know Your Enemy
wellfleation posted:
On a side note, I get my WHITE case from I ordered Apple's Silicone Case in WHITE and it will arrive tomorrow

I bought a clear case for mine. Why have a snazzy red phone if no one can see it?
Pariah posted:
wellfleation posted:

I bought a clear case for mine. Why have a snazzy red phone if no one can see it?

Ditto.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
My clear case has a microdot pattern that has kind of a cool effect on the aesthetic.
My white case from Apple looks so clean and nice and feels the same. Also, I just got this today for my car at BestBuy:
https://www.iottie.com/Product/Detail/5 ... ield-Mount
It’s really nice too. The one I got sticks into your CD player which I’ve never once used. My Steelie wouldn’t stick to the silicone case and so I had to get alternative hassle free system and this was it.
I'm not having great luck with suction cup mounts anymore. The heat just turns the silicone into putty.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
OK, messing around with my SE. Why to I have a .mov with every jpg I shoot?

DO NOT WANT!!
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Pariah posted:

DO NOT WANT!!

You should be able to turn that off. It allows you to capture a few seconds of video around every picture - if you touch and hold an image, it should briefly pop to life. I actually kind of like it on my wife's phone, because it adds context to the pictures.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Pariah posted:

DO NOT WANT!!

You should be able to turn that off. It allows you to capture a few seconds of video around every picture - if you touch and hold an image, it should briefly pop to life. I actually kind of like it on my wife's phone, because it adds context to the pictures.

Ya, not a fan. And whats up with those weird pics that have that fake 3D effect? Is that the 3D setting I see in the camera app?
The icon for Live Photos is 3 circles, the outermost a dotted line, in the top right corner of the camera app. Tap it and it will turn off.

I'm not sure what you mean by 3D effect.
Robert B. posted:
I'm not having great luck with suction cup mounts anymore. The heat just turns the silicone into putty.

Right! Hence the CD adapter. Depending where your CD player is, and it can be the most solid option for many like me. My CD player is perfectly positioned and it works great fitted in there. But others may need to resort to the suction cup method which is supposedly super strong with the iOttie system as well. But I use the CD mount and it's solid. I will say I did just need to exchange my iOttie I was raving about just this AM as I noticed the automatic sensors just stopped working and so I exchanged it for another at BB this AM. This one works great so far. No Geek Sq protection available but I'm a BB member so I have a month to hand return it there if need be and iOttie has 18 month warranty so...

But did I say I love this iPhone! The pix are amazing!
No CD player, as I replaced mine with a Bluetooth system a few years back. I may have to go with a vent mount.
jkahless Custom Title
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:
Pariah posted:

DO NOT WANT!!

Ya, not a fan. And whats up with those weird pics that have that fake 3D effect? Is that the 3D setting I see in the camera app?

The one useful thing with live photos is iirc they capture the entire cameras’s data, so you can go into edit afterwards and select which frame you want to keep. Good for fast motion shots.
Yeah, Live Photos is great for kids and pets.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I finally got my new phone going, had a sim screw up that delayed things.
This thing is so much faster than my old 5c it's hilarious. The camera is worlds better too, as you might expect. The size increase is just right. Enough bigger than my 5c to make a difference but not too big for my dad jean pockets.
All in all, I feel really good about spending $400 on this phone.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
The only design complaint I have about the SE goes for the rest of Apple's line. Having the sleep/power button positioned opposite a pair of buttons makes one handed sleep clicks awkward.
Other than that I am happy with the camera. A quibble that I can't figure out how to force a flash. That option seems to be gone, can that be?
Mind you, I'm basing this on my iPhone 11 Pro so what I see may not QUITE match your iPhone SE.

In the Camera app in the top bar there is a lightning bolt icon in the upper left corner. Click on that to switch the flash between Auto and Off modes. The Auto mode will make the camera choose if the scene is too dark that it will require a flash.

This icon will also change depending upon the camera's current flash mode (see below): a yellow disk around a black bolt means the flash will be used when a picture is taken, a white bolt with the slash through it means that the flash will NOT be used, a white circle around a white bolt means that the Auto setting has been selected so the flash will be used when the scene is too dark.

Also in the top bar there is in the center an "up arrow". Tap on that to change the options bar near the bottom from the choices of "VIDEO PHOTO PORTRAIT" etc. to a set of icons the first of which is a lightning bolt. Click on that to select between "Flash Auto On Off" modes.

Note that clicking on the top bar's bolt icon will NOT give you the flash always on mode: to have the flash always on, it must be selected through the icon menu.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Ah, Thanks!
I use a forced flash quite a bit. Apple's flash algorithm is why too conservative for my taste and a fill flash helps things pop in bright shade.
I suspect that Apple may have removed the flash always on mode from the quick click options because more people complained about the flash being always on meant that the battery runs out too fast.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

New iPhone SE

Page: 1, 2, 3