New iPhone SE

Page: 1, 2, 3
Online now: Google [Bot], Jonesy
ukimalefu Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQIbeAk-bFA

that video just popped up in my youtube feed. Haven't even seen it yet. But here's the apple link (haven't seen that yet either)

https://www.apple.com/iphone-se/
4.7"

Starting at $399

Home button with touch ID

water resistant to 1 meter for 30 minutes

comes in black, white, and red
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I just bought an iPhone XS and I'm ok with that.
dv
Jeez. That might actually be worth buying.
OK, saw the video, skimmed trough the website. I like it.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Same chip as iPhone 11 Pro
Dropping this the same day everyone's getting their stim packs ain't dumb.. at the same time, I kinda miss when product announcements were shrouded in secrecy and blew people's minds. Coming from an iPhone 6 this would be a nice bump for me, except the loss of a headphone jack and very likely my privacy as well..
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Why would losing the headphone jack also mean losing your privacy?
dv
Alexander Supertramp posted:

Apple is rolling out looser restrictions on data privacy. (Under the guise of things like tracking Coronavirus infections, etc.)

The headphone jack is incidental.

No headphone port means if I want to listen to music on the device my bluetooth needs to be on. Elsewhere on the forums I may be found complaining about our phones getting sars scars by default in the not-too-distant future.
Pariah Know Your Enemy

Apple's move to force people to use BlueTooth exposes users to a very popular way for businesses to spy on their customers by placing BT beacons around stores. Since BT has essentially zero security this is a concern.
At present the work around is to use a dongle to provide the jack Apple got rid of. When Apple goes entirely wireless, which I am sure they will soon, there will be no way to stay secure.
Crap I missed that it didn't have a headphone jack. stick fiddlers.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Not withstanding my previous remarks:
I really need a new phone and was looking at spending around $300 for a used iPhone.
I could squeeze off another $100 for a brand new one. It's got the iPhone 11 main camera and that is a feature I care about. I can live without the more advanced lens options of the higher end phones.
Other than, you know, the lightning to headphone doodad they ship in the box, along with a set of headphones with a lightning plug on them.
I don’t think they still include the adaptor, but I think think it’s like $9? They do include the headphones.
Lightning is a crappy port spec. Mine barely works and it's only ever plugged in when the phone is stationary. I'd hate to think what would become of it if I had it in my pocket with the cable plugged in. The camera is nice though, along with the speed boost and storage upgrade.
yelow posted:
Lightning is a crappy port spec. Mine barely works and it's only ever plugged in when the phone is stationary. I'd hate to think what would become of it if I had it in my pocket with the cable plugged in. The camera is nice though, along with the speed boost and storage upgrade.

I hate to be the one that says this... But that might be lint in the port. Try cleaning it out with a blister pack shard or some other firm thin material that won't damage the connectors.
Betonhaus posted:
Try cleaning it out with a blister pack shard or some other firm thin material that won't damage the connectors.

I do this every now and again, it's just that the phone has some years on it, the contacts have worn pretty badly over the years.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
yelow posted:
Betonhaus posted:
Try cleaning it out with a blister pack shard or some other firm thin material that won't damage the connectors.

I do this every now and again, it's just that the phone has some years on it, the contacts have worn pretty badly over the years.

Flood the port with contact cleaner, blow out with compressed air.
Pariah posted:

I'm weary of putting liquids into a device I cannot readily remove the power source out of, even 91% isopropyl alcohol has 9% water in it. The contacts are probably already pretty oxidized.

I replaced the battery in the handset about a year ago, so I charge the phone once every day or two, and it's not a huge issue. I was just saying that the port is not very robust.

I replace lightning cables much more often than I do micro usb cables. /shrug
jkahless Custom Title
yelow posted:
Pariah posted:

I'm weary of putting liquids into a device I cannot readily remove the power source out of, even 91% isopropyl alcohol has 9% water in it. The contacts are probably already pretty oxidized.

I replaced the battery in the handset about a year ago, so I charge the phone once every day or two, and it's not a huge issue. I was just saying that the port is not very robust.

There are some that supposedly leave no residue for applications like this.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
yelow posted:
Pariah posted:

LOL, it is foolish to be afraid of doing the one thing that might help. Contact cleaner poses no threat.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Do you mean saline, or actual contact cleaner?
I would shut it down before using the contract cleaner; but once you do that then it is fairly safe. Or you can dose a q-tip with and shove it in. Shut it down first regardless of what you do.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
avkills posted:
I would shut it down before using the contract cleaner; but once you do that then it is fairly safe. Or you can dose a q-tip with and shove it in. Shut it down first regardless of what you do.

I would much sooner use the contact cleaner as I described than try to jam a stick covered with fuzz inside that port.
Pariah posted:
LOL, it is foolish to be afraid of doing the one thing that might help. Contact cleaner poses no threat.

It's foolish to assume you are safe with a power source attached. Even though the battery is less than 2,000 mAh and discharges from 4 volts down, it's still good practice not to mess with live circuits.

This is saying nothing about the fact that turning your phone off may not be actually turning your phone off. I don't know why I'd end up in this club, but the probability is non-zero.
Last I checked the latest iPhones are submersible and disable the port if they detect water conductivity.

I wouldn't stick it in the dishwasher but I think you'll be fine.
Lombo Opiofiend
The tracking implementation for covid contact detection is very well thought out. Zero privacy concern. If you really really don’t want to find out if you’ve been infected you just have to not download the app and it’s settled.
Betonhaus wrote:
Last I checked the latest iPhones are submersible and disable the port if they detect water conductivity.

I have the 6, which has no waterproof (or IP) rating. Anecdotally, it is submersible, but I am not able to find the spec sheet on how this is set up, and as I hold encryption keys that other people's well-being may depend on, this is not a sound option for me.

Lombo wrote:
The tracking implementation for covid contact detection is very well thought out. Zero privacy concern. If you really really don’t want to find out if you’ve been infected you just have to not download the app and it’s settled.

There is no such thing as 'zero privacy concern' any more. The same is true for fingerprint storage. I know it's what the advertising says, but advertisements are legally allowed to lie. Don't buy it.

As for me, I know I was infected. I support the health industry and took on sustained viral load before retreating, and have friends and loved ones that continue to be exposed. We are all infected. Only some of us had any symptoms at all, and only one of us was actually KOed for a week, but then recovered. Those that have comorbidities, such as patients and long-term residents, do not fare as well.

Not downloading the app is the current state of affairs. This is likely to change as time goes on, "for our own safety".

The Verge:
...Eventually, the team hopes to build that functionality directly into the iOS and Android operating systems...

I am taking a 'big picture' approach, as I have been following and have been at times directly involved in security matters. The things I have seen along the way are unsettling. Most are not aware just how invasive today's technology is.

Last edited by yelow on Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:25 pm.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
yelow posted:
Pariah posted:

It's foolish to assume you are safe with a power source attached. Even though the battery is less than 2,000 mAh and discharges from 4 volts down, it's still good practice not to mess with live circuits.

This is saying nothing about the fact that turning your phone off may not be actually turning your phone off. I don't know why I'd end up in this club, but the probability is non-zero.

I have used contact cleaner extensively on powered up machines. Even with 3 phase 220v I have never had an issue. Contact cleaner is entirely non-conductive.
Pariah posted:
I have used contact cleaner extensively on powered up machines. Even with 3 phase 220v I have never had an issue. Contact cleaner is entirely non-conductive.

I don't have any Deoxit on-hand, only IPA.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
yelow posted:
Pariah posted:

I don't have any Deoxit on-hand, only IPA.

ipa will do nothing about any oxidation, if that is the problem.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
yelow posted:

The things I have seen along the way are unsettling. Most are not aware just how invasive today's technology is.

Tell us.
Tell us.

It would be a breach for me to saying anything specific.. but.. some of the worst things that I have seen were in plain text. People being lied to as policy is another one that sticks out. Even little things like customer keys being copied because they are difficult to deal with but require frequent support. A lot of security is implemented to make you feel secure rather than secure you. Real security is scary and generally avoided because people forget their private keys regularly, and true security would mean loss of data each time this occurs.
Lombo Opiofiend
Sorry, you sound a little tinfoily. You would breach what exactly ? No disrespect intended but I would like to know.
I am a lot tinfoily. It would be a breach of trust.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

New iPhone SE

Page: 1, 2, 3