Old tech on hand

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot]
Robert B. posted:
I have a TiBook in my box of old tech. Haven't fired it up in forever. Not even sure I remember the password. I'd sell it, but I'd first have to pull the hard drive. Do anyone even still make IDE drives?
I just resurrected my mid 2010 MacBook Pro. I hadn't used it in years as the curser would move and click and double click all over the place randomly without me touching the trackpad (like it was possessed!). After being forced to work fro home I needed a laptop and I was desperate so I fired it up again. I read then found that if I applied firm pressure over the entire trackpad it temporally fixed this issue and making my MBP useable. Now the tracking has been perfect and it doesn't do it anymore period. I wiped the 2TB drive and this thing is now a wonderful work from home machine. It is "a tank" and is surprisingly fast for my needs, which are basic.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
If you haven't, put an SSD in that MBP, and you will be amazed at how well it likely still works. The 2009 MBP I got from Aaron has been running like a champ with a Samsung 860 EVO drive in it. Sure, I'm not going to be doing any heavy compiles or video work, but for day to day stuff? It has been a great machine.

Also, if it does act up again, you can get replacement parts still.
I thought about putting an SSD in years ago when they were $$$ but instead opted for a 2TB hard drive. It's plenty fast for Word, Exel, surfing the web, FT, etc. I'm fine with it the way it is. But with an SSD drive I'm sure it would almost feel like a new machine.
Ribtor posted:

I may or may not have written programs to make those random patterns on the first computer I ever owned, a Commodore Vic-20.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ribtor posted:
avkills posted:

Ha ha. I remember those things.

1/16 inch cast aluminum speaker cabinet. Ridiculously overbuilt. But I've had them since '82 and they have been in some harsh environments.

I had a set of those speakers, powered by a STA-7.
They sounded really good. I miss them.
It always makes me sad that Radio Shack went out in a long slow train wreck of destruction. It became a sad joke, when in reality, there were some amazingly good products.
Warin posted:
It always makes me sad that Radio Shack went out in a long slow train wreck of destruction. It became a sad joke, when in reality, there were some amazingly good products.

They were never "the best" at anything, but much of what they had was solid, usable technology at affordable prices. It's a shame they decided to go with cell phones instead of what is now a burgeoning maker market.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Warin posted:

They were never "the best" at anything, but much of what they had was solid, usable technology at affordable prices. It's a shame they decided to go with cell phones instead of what is now a burgeoning maker market.

Those little speakers were great. Their larger speakers had good drivers but human waste cabinets. I build my DJ speaker system out of two pair of their biggest speakers transplanted into custom boxes I made. A cool detail of my build was that when I took the speakers apart I saw that the X-overs had large bulb resisters in them so I built the cabinets with a window and placed the x-overs behind it so I has lights on my speakers that fluctuated according to the volume of the music. I put a sheet of red lighting gel in front so they glowed red.
It looked badass and I got tons of comments about it.
sean Royal Wombat
Do you ever find a bit of tech you didn't know you still had?

I was looking for the feet to my wall mounted TV, and I found this guy in the bottom of a box in my home office closet. ...which I clearly need to clean out, since I still haven't found those TV feet.

My old iPad handheld. It even still has a CF card in it with a few movies (divx format) still on it!

The battery is totally frigg'd, sadly.
Yori Program
Ooh, I used to have one of those :)
I was given this calculator in '79. It's designed for common financial and business calculations and I only just stated using it a few years ago. I have another one which looks similar but is a general scientific calculator from the same time They were for people who couldn't afford an HP or Texas Instuments.

Nikon's lowest end AF camera at the time. I prefer it to the pro models.

This little camera has one photo per year on it starting in the year 2000. It usually stays in a fridge. There are about seven shots left to be taken. There are shots of my old business, trips, and I think a shot of a TV screen during the events of 9/11 plus two rotations in A'stan, a flight in a Sukhoi fighter and other less exciting stuff. One shot a year. I just used it to take a picture of a near deserted downtown business district. I'll develop the film in seven years.

This clock radio may be my most vintagiest thing in constant use. It's been in operation since my parents got it in the 70s. Sears quality.

Lombo Opiofiend
My grandmother had one exactly like this and I so wish I could get one because it reminds me of when I visited when I was a toddler.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Lombo posted:
My grandmother had one exactly like this and I so wish I could get one because it reminds me of when I visited when I was a toddler.

Everyone had one of those back in the day. They were cheap and very stylish for several years and then they never die.
There will be examples of these clocks still operating in 50 years, gathering dust in some forgotten corner shelf.
My wife still has an old Sears LED clock radio from the 80's. The time set buttons gave out, but I replaced them with two push buttons mounted on the side. This isn't the exact same, but it's the closest I could find with GIS:

That thing will probably outlast us.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Old tech on hand

Page: 1, 2