Brace yourselves, the ARMs are coming

Page: 1, 2, 3
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Séamas
Bren Everything went to hell after Empire.
I just posted the following on Facebook. I hope I'm wrong, but you know I'm not.

Quote:
It's happening! It's finally happening! My advice to you: Do NOT buy an Intel Mac right now, and don't buy one a few weeks or months from now when the prices have dropped.

People will tell you it will be no big deal to keep using an Intel Mac, and they'll tell you there will still be lots of support for it, but they will be wrong.

I remember quite well what it was like to own a PowerPC G4 Mac Mini after it was rendered obsolete by the new Intel Macs.

Yes, yes, Apple provided updates for the OS and the Apple software for a while. And yes, yes, applications were designed to run natively on one platform but still somehow work on the other platform for a while.

But "for a while" was a lot shorter than we'd been led to believe, and let me tell you, when Intel-only games and applications began to come out, it really stung.

The Intel Mac you own is about to lose half its value overnight. If you need a new Mac, wait until the ARM processor Macs come out. And then wait a little longer. The first-generation Intel Macs were pretty weak compared to the second-gens.

History will repeat itself.

maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Apple can't completely migrate to ARM just yet, because there are still a lot of market segments they service that can't take the performance hit. The first ARM systems are going to be laptops and minis, where the low power usage and high power to performance ratio are going to be a lot more important. I also won't be surprised if this first round prove to be a little anemic under MacOS.

That said, the current Raspberry Pi 4 has 8GB of RAM, dual HDMI, and is really only a SATA or NVME card away from being a serious desktop, so it's possible. I just wouldn't count on Apple entirely dropping Intel support overnight. ARMs are actually a "downgrade" performance-wise, unlike the move from G4 to Intel.

EDIT: Nevermind:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/06 ... wwdc-2020/
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I think migration is still a ways out.
So I guess this means, on some level, an end to the Boot Camp era?

I'm assuming Linux users have many options for making a dual-boot MacOS/Linux Mac, so they probably don't need Boot Camp. And Apple probably wouldn't care about them enough to keep Boot Camp around even if they did need it.
jkahless Custom Title
If I’m not mistaken, the MS Surface runs windows on an ARM processor.
dv
jkahless posted:

Some of them, but most run on x86.
macnuke Afar
jkahless posted:

lower ends do.. top ends are intel.
There are two major problems for Windows on ARM Macs. While there is an ARM port of Windows, it has almost no third-party software and no serious way to emulate x86 enough to run such software. Microsoft has, so far, not made a dent in developer support for UWP apps that also run on ARM, making ARM Surface devices glorified tablets.

That is bad enough, but the other issue is that Apple may not decide to support a new version of BootCamp anyway. I have a feeling that Apple is about to lock down Macs the way they locked down iPhones and Ipads. Be prepared for the Apple App store being the only way to get apps on these new Macs. I won't even really be surprised if you can't even download and install from the web. I could be wrong on the lock down, and I hope I am, but all signs point to it.

What will be interesting is if you will even be able to boot Linux on these things.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Man, if they do that, New Macs will be worthless.
obvs posted:
Man, if they do that, New Macs will be worthless.

Linux is already pretty crippled on machines with the T2 chip. Apparently the latest Linux kernel can actually boot on a 2018 or later Mac, but certain hardware, like the friggin keyboard, don't work yet. I don't expect this to improve during a transition to ARM. Remember, right now Apple lets you disable boot security. If that changes, you won't even be able to downgrade to an older version of MacOS after an upgrade, much less run Linux.
Without the ability to run third-party software I have selected from sources outside of the Mac App Store, there's a serious question about whether I would choose to use Macs for my own computers at all.
jkahless Custom Title
dv posted:
jkahless posted:

Some of them, but most run on x86.

Aye, but the lower end ones still run native x86 programmes slowly through an emulation layer.

I also don’t think there as many hurdles now compiling for ARM and x86 as there were compiling for PowerPC and x86. Languages are higher level, compilers are better, it’s custom silicon.
I put so much energy into putting Boot Camp on my current iMac, even going as far as to buy Windows 8 (on my previous iMac, I had used pirated copies of Windows) and upgrade it to Windows 10, and etc, etc.

But I eventually wound up deleting my Boot Camp partition, because I realized I almost never used Windows for anything at all.

My sense is that most people who understand computers recognize Win10 is problematic, and Windows is thus becoming less and less relevant.

Your thoughts?
juice Inadvertently correct
Win10 is a virus
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Did this thread about new Mac processors... turn into Macs suck if they don't run Linux and windows?

Anyway, here is something I think could happen: You know how they have "regular" and "Pro" versions of stuff? well, my bet is that "Pro" macs will keep using intel, the rest will use ARM.

And I read somewhere that ARM Macs would come out next year, to give developers time to, well, develop ARM Mac stuff.
jkahless Custom Title
ukimalefu posted:
Did this thread about new Mac processors... turn into Macs suck if they don't run Linux and windows?

Anyway, here is something I think could happen: You know how they have "regular" and "Pro" versions of stuff? well, my bet is that "Pro" macs will keep using intel, the rest will use ARM.

And I read somewhere that ARM Macs would come out next year, to give developers time to, well, develop ARM Mac stuff.

Versatility is a wonderful thing. :shrug:

I certainly like the thought of being able to boot into winders to run any weird custom software might pop up.
ukimalefu posted:

The article Maurvir linked to said all Macs will be ARM Macs. No distinction between pro vs. consumer.
Bren posted:
ukimalefu posted:

The article Maurvir linked to said all Macs will be ARM Macs. No distinction between pro vs. consumer.

Maybe they're right. I just googled this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple%27s ... ber%202006.

The transition from Motorola to intel was quick. But did they have a compatibility layer to run PowerPC apps and OS 9 at the same time as Intel/OS X. They already released a 64 bit only OS, so the transition this time won't be so smooth, I believe.

So yeah, wait to buy a new Mac, and make sure all the software you want/need will be ready.
macnuke Afar
mine is 2009.
it aint dead yet.
so by the time i NEED one, I am sure it will be version 6 or so and all the human waste will run just fine.
ukimalefu posted:

When I complained about not being able to run whatever I wanted, I meant apps like BitTorrent, Java-based apps, et cetera. I've had my current Mac for a few years, but I haven't used Boot Camp on it since at least within the first few months I had it, if at all.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Not that there was a future with me and Macs but it seems to me that Apple's obsession with security is going to drive me of their phones too.
I have had my new phone for some weeks now and only just yesterday realized that Apple silently disabled voice mail alerts and indicia on my new phone because I had not set up a voice mail password that I did not know I was required to do now.
So I made a password and was allowed to see that I had voice mails going back 3 stick fiddling weeks I did not know about because of the incredibly stupid way Apple decided to implement voicemail security.
I don't stick fiddling want to have to enter a God Damned stick fiddling password to access my voice mail. My phone is already password locked so adding another password is just moronic security theatre.

fiddlesticks You Apple.
juice Inadvertently correct
I've never had to enter another password to see my voicemail. :head scratching:
obvs posted:
ukimalefu posted:

When I complained about not being able to run whatever I wanted, I meant apps like BitTorrent, Java-based apps, et cetera. I've had my current Mac for a few years, but I haven't used Boot Camp on it since at least within the first few months I had it, if at all.

Oh HAIL NO, if those mothercluckers only allow App Store software, and prohibit things like Bit Torrent, that is a huge dealbreaker.
I still have not subscribed to Adobe's subscription service, but the prospect of a change to a whole new chipset by Apple kinda validates the idea of paying Adobe for a subscription, doesn't it?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Bren posted:
I still have not subscribed to Adobe's subscription service, but the prospect of a change to a whole new chipset by Apple kinda validates the idea of paying Adobe for a subscription, doesn't it?

Adobe will tke their sweet time supporting ARM just like they did with the Intel switch. Their main demographic does not upgrade hardware very often and are generally not early adopters.
Adobe has already announced support for ARM, for both iPads and Windows systems.
macnuke Afar
obvs posted:
Adobe has already announced support for ARM, for both iPads and Windows systems.

because subscription not one time sales.
The real question is whether or not Apple takes away the user control over secure boot. If they don't, and the Linux folks figure out how to support them properly, I might still consider Macs.

If they do, they just became toys. Which is a shame, really, because few other vendors make decent hardware anymore.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Basically this is no different than going back to Motorola, but now they have an architecture that supports improved speed. But now the difference in OS is far less pronounced.

We shall see.

In any event, my current Mac will stay current for a long time running Windows if I want, plus some old version of Mac OS.
I would still buy a Mac if it could only boot macOS, but only if I can install and run whatever other software I want to run on the thing.

This is not negotiable. When I buy hardware, it's mine.
obvs posted:
I would still buy a Mac if it could only boot macOS, but only if I can install and run whatever other software I want to run on the thing.

This is not negotiable. When I buy hardware, it's mine.

For a tablet or phone, not being able to replace the OS is annoying, but fine. For a general purpose computer? Not being able to replace the OS would be a hard no for me. I expect desktops and laptops to outlive phones and tablets by a factor of 2-3, which is usually long past the point where the manufacturer has stopped supporting it. I'm not a Linux nut, but being able to extend the life of a machine with Linux is an attractive option.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Eight years ago I read the tea leaves and dumped Macs in favor of Linux. Practically everything Apple has done since that day has done nothing but show me I made the right decision.
Windows and MacOS just keep getting worse but Linux just keeps getting better.
First ARM Macs will be MacBook Pros and an all-new iMac: report

Quote:
First of all, Kuo says the last new Intel-based Mac ever will be a brand new iMac design with thinner bezels and a 24-inch display. This iMac is said to be planned for a release in Q3 2020, but an ARM version will follow it in the first quarter of next year.

The first ARM Mac is likely to be a 13-inch MacBook Pro in Q4 2020 or Q1 2021, Kuo says; the form factor is believed to be similar to the current model. Production of the Intel version will reportedly cease once the ARM model is introduced, though there’s no word on whether the same will be true for the iMac. Kuo also believes a new ARM-based MacBook design will start production in mid-2021.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
Fat Binaries!!
dv
Pariah posted:
Fat Binaries!!

Translated at installation-time, per Anandtech.
Pariah posted:
Eight years ago I read the tea leaves and dumped Macs in favor of Linux. Practically everything Apple has done since that day has done nothing but show me I made the right decision.
Windows and MacOS just keep getting worse but Linux just keeps getting better.

If only Adobe and some other major software vendors would wake up; we could all ditch the latest boondoggles from Microsoft and Apple. I have never been more disappointed in an OS release than I am with Catalina. Having to give photoshop screen recording permission to use the stick fiddling eye dropper is beyond stupid; and I could go on and on.
ARM-based Japanese supercomputer is now the fastest in the world

Quote:
A Japanese supercomputer has taken the top spot in the biannual Top500 supercomputer speed ranking. Fugaku, a computer in Kobe co-developed by Riken and Fujitsu, makes use of Fujitsu’s 48-core A64FX system-on-chip. It’s the first time a computer based on ARM processors has topped the list.

So there.
jkahless Custom Title
I am torn between loving the theoretical compatibility I’ll probably not need, and the performance possibilities of this.

Apple’s SOC design is amoungst the best in the world and is still on an upward trajectory.
TOS
silly question: will the switchover lead to a price drop?

that's the only thing that would bring me back to mac

i'm talking huge price drop
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Brace yourselves, the ARMs are coming

Page: 1, 2, 3