Ever bought an old hard disk?

Online now: No visible users
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
My wife has gotten into the habit of buying stuff at thrift stores to "renew". I suppose I shouldn't use quotes because she is actually getting pretty good at it. That, and one of the thrift stores in our area manages to routinely get really nice things. I got a very nice single-serve teapot with the fancy British gloss coat for $3, for instance.

I like it because I have a buddy at work that routinely finds interesting stuff in that store. One time he found a complete rack server filled with 1TB hard disks for $20. So, I don't mind indulging my wife in a trip or two.

So, today I saw an old Maxtor external hard disk. It's a Maxtor Basics Personal Storage 3200 with a 160GB hard disk in it.

It was $3, but I figured why not? Even if the drive is dead (likely), the enclosure could be reused. I bought it and a slim-line Dell keyboard for $4. Not wanting to risk my primary machines on an unknown USB device, I hook it up to one of the old Linux boxes. I was surprised when it immediately beeped and mounted the disk. As it turns out, it is an external 160GB hard disk formatted in HFS+, and it is nearly 80% full with someone's iTunes collection. They apparently REALLY liked blues, soul, and funk, though there is a lot of other stuff in there as well. So, rather than trash it immediately, I figured I would peruse it a bit. So far, there is nothing on it but music and a few album covers as JPGs or PDFs.

Which makes me wonder, have any of you ever been surprised by something you found on an old hard disk?
juice Inadvertently correct
You can’t go wrong with blues, soul, and funk.
macnuke Afar
juice posted:
You can’t go wrong with blues, soul, and funk.

it belongs in a museum.

but definitely a wonderful find :up:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I got a HDD once that had years worth of a persons banking info and so much info I could have impersonated them so perfectly they would have really been stick fiddled trying to sort things out.

But I am not a dick like that and just wiped it.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Pariah posted:
I got a HDD once that had years worth of a persons banking info and so much info I could have impersonated them so perfectly they would have really been stick fiddled trying to sort things out.

Yeah, I *never* part with old hard disks, and when they do need to be disposed of, it's Hammer Time. If I ever got an old hard drive with personal info on it, I'd definitely nuke and pave it for them (maybe not with a hammer, though).
maurvir posted:
Pariah posted:

Yeah, I *never* part with old hard disks, and when they do need to be disposed of, it's Hammer Time. If I ever got an old hard drive with personal info on it, I'd definitely nuke and pave it for them (maybe not with a hammer, though).

Same here, although I have never bought a used hard drive (not knowingly, that is).
Old hard drives get hit with a sledge hammer and tossed in the trash.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Ever bought an old hard disk?