Your phone only folds in half?

Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu
ukimalefu last throes
dv
macnuke Afar
something tells me the foldables are going to look like a dog eared book that has had the same page bookmarked too many times.
dv posted:
butwhy.gif

Aspect ratios.
A proper tablet sixes screen folded in half is a too wide phone, a proper phone screen unfolded once is a square (see: Samsung fold and Huawei mate X)

A z fold solves that problem, but adds complexity.
jkahless Custom Title
The rolling screen is even more impressive, imho
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I prefer an OLED scroll.
jkahless posted:

That's still first gen tech though. We're already on second gen for folding screens, both innies and outies.
ukimalefu last throes
jkahless posted:

if they get it right, yes

there was a sci-fi show that had something like that...
Folding out to tablet size and still be usable while folded is how it should be.

Motorola and Samsung waste their time making tech to fold out to barely bigger than a normal size phone.
j_tso posted:
Folding out to tablet size and still be usable while folded is how it should be.

Motorola and Samsung waste their time making tech to fold out to barely bigger than a normal size phone.

It's almost as if the tech is barely there so they make devices that actually function for sale in the meantime to help fund the devices they want to make...
jkahless Custom Title
ukimalefu posted:
jkahless posted:

I think that would be necessary to make a robust practical device at an affordable price point. Humans are very good at feeling imperfections in a flat surface.
I think the roll has more potential.
dv
jkahless posted:
ukimalefu posted:
jkahless posted:

I think that would be necessary to make a robust practical device at an affordable price point. Humans are very good at feeling imperfections in a flat surface.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-techno ... /?view=all
jkahless Custom Title
dv posted:
jkahless posted:
ukimalefu posted:
jkahless posted:

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-techno ... /?view=all

https://piano-keyboard-reviews.com/buye ... rd-review/
Donkey Butter jerk face
I hated flip phones back in the day and I don't see any use for them now.
Donkey Butter posted:
I hated flip phones back in the day and I don't see any use for them now.

It's a phone the size of a smartphone with a smartphone sized screen that folds in half to stow easier.

And why do you genuinely hate flip phones? Most people are largely indifferent to the nuances of tech so I'm curious about why you have a strong opinion.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I don't like flip phones because you have to open them and close them. I was so happy when nokia came out with their candy bar phones.

This thing is worse because as a phone, it's 3 times as thick and to use it as a tablet you have to unfold it twice.

I like a phone that can fit in my pocket, and loved by iPhone SE. Since upgrading I've always gone with the unmaxed/+ed version of the phone. and even that is too big. I'd love a phone the size of the SE with all the tech of the 11 pro. :) (I would concede a little more thickness (up to 3mm) for a larger battery)
Donkey Butter posted:
I don't like flip phones because you have to open them and close them. I was so happy when nokia came out with their candy bar phones.

This thing is worse because as a phone, it's 3 times as thick and to use it as a tablet you have to unfold it twice. )

This is also a concept phone. I'm sure they'll figure out how to make it a smidge thinner, and I doubt you will always have to unfold it twice. I suspect it cab be perfectly useable with the back unfolded to make it a square, and you can unfold the front to get a super selfie camera.
I liked flip phones! Small form factor that just felt more right when holding to your face.

My favorite was a Sony-Ericsson. One of the first models with Bluetooth. It had a color a LCD inside, and small, easy-to-ready black and white LCD outside that was illuminated with a button or when a call came in.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I didn't dislike flip phones, but they didn't compare to sliders.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
macaddict4life posted:
I liked flip phones! Small form factor that just felt more right when holding to your face.

My favorite was a Sony-Ericsson. One of the first models with Bluetooth. It had a color a LCD inside, and small, easy-to-ready black and white LCD outside that was illuminated with a button or when a call came in.
You didn't like watching people repeatedly move the phone back and forth between their ear and their mouth?
obvs posted:
macaddict4life posted:

You didn't like watching people repeatedly move the phone back and forth between their ear and their mouth?

I don't think I've ever seen that. if anything the design brought both the earpiece and mice close to your face than a candybar would.
Folding phones is a fad. Like Mr. Jobs thought when the OG iPhone came out, who wants a large plastic touch screen on their phone? Scratch tests on all the folding phones thus far failed on the Moh scale @ a strength of 2, to put it in perspective the latest corning/gorilla glass mobiles fail around Mohs 6/7
I remember when the iPhone was considered just a fad.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Betonhaus posted:
I remember when the iPhone was considered just a fad.

I don't think anyone, anywhere, ever, thought the iPhone was a fad. Especially when the next phones made by every other company looked exactly (or as close as they could make it) like the iPhone.

Maybe this bendy screen technology will evolve into a usable form but it's definitely not there yet.

All we have now are throwback retro gimmicks, but honestly I see bendy phones lasting just as long as google glasses.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Your phone only folds in half?