Brave browser screwing around with home page

Online now: Google [Bot], Kirk, maurvir, Pariah, Vulture
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Has anyone else seen a link to a Western Digital survey show up on their Brave home page? I just did, and it wouldn't let me remove it. It did go away after relaunching the browser, but this sort of thing makes me uneasy about continuing to use it.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
One possibility is that microsoft did it.

But, does it use extensions? have you installed any?

Sometimes in chrome, some extensions can give you ads. Google usually removes them from the store, but not from your computer.

If it's microsoft doing it, I wouldn't feel "uneasy", I would say "fiddlesticks this" and uninstall immediately.

Like, google never lied to me, I knew about targeted ads since I got my gmail beta invite, and they let me block ads.

Make sure the option to disable the home page ads isn't hidden somewhere in the browser's preferences, or even online in your MS account preferences.
... I fail to see the connection between the brave browser and homepage and Microsoft.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Betonhaus posted:
... I fail to see the connection between the brave browser and homepage and Microsoft.

let's see

I could be wrong, but doesn't microsoft make brave?

Browsers often come with a default home page, like favorites, or a search engine. The browser's developer shouldn't, but could send an automatic update that changes the homepage to something of their choosing, like an ad. That's very wrong and unacceptable.
Donkey Butter jerk face
ukimalefu posted:

Wikipedia:
Brave is a free and open-source web browser developed by Brave Software, Inc. based on the Chromium web browser. The browser blocks ads and website trackers, and provides a way for users to send cryptocurrency contributions in the form of Basic Attention Tokens to websites and content creators.

As of 2019, Brave has been released for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. The current version features five search engines by default, including their partner, DuckDuckGo.

ukimalefu dysfunctional
Donkey Butter posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Wikipedia:
Brave is a free and open-source web browser developed by Brave Software, Inc. based on the Chromium web browser. The browser blocks ads and website trackers, and provides a way for users to send cryptocurrency contributions in the form of Basic Attention Tokens to websites and content creators.

As of 2019, Brave has been released for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. The current version features five search engines by default, including their partner, DuckDuckGo.

ok, so it wasn't microsoft

so it's supposed to block ads, but it gives you an ad? yeah, other free ad blockers have done that before
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Turns out it is related to Brave's rewards for viewing ads - sponsored backgrounds. Fortunately, it is easy to turn off by adjusting the dashboard setting. Unfortunately, it appears Brave is taking the opt-out approach to "new features".
Vulture 420
I use Brave Ad rewards and I don't have this issue ever. I've only noticed that the specific thing you mentioned does come up as an ad notification when ads rewards are on, but I never did click on it to go to the survey. Sometimes all it takes is one click to a page to have it show up on your home page of recently visited sites.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Brave browser screwing around with home page