How many of you have the Watch? Is it worth it and why?

Online now: avkills, Google [Bot], juice, Kirk, Vulture
Vulture 420
I keep forgetting this device exists but I just remembered that they are already on series 5 of this thing and it will probably be soon that they become pretty neat devices for daily use. But are they now? Do you still need to have an iPhone just to have the watch? Is it really a necessary device or just some thing that people create imaginative excuses to own just to get needlessly involved in technology gadgetry worn on the body?

I don't wear a watch, ever. I prefer not having something dangling from one wrist. I also don't really like the general look of these watches, so even if I wanted to use one I'm not convinced I'm going to like seeing one on my wrist, either. But, will usefulness win over style in this case? I'm not so sure.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Vulture posted:
I keep forgetting this device exists but I just remembered that they are already on series 5 of this thing and it will probably be soon that they become pretty neat devices for daily use. But are they now? yes Do you still need to have an iPhone just to have the watch? yes Is it really a necessary device or just some thing that people create imaginative excuses to own just to get needlessly involved in technology gadgetry worn on the body? it's not necessary but being able to have the notifications on your wrist is very handy. Far more handy then I had first thought when getting the watch

I don't wear a watch, ever. neither did I, but I also didn't realize how many times I'd take my phone out just to see what time it was. now I quite like wearing the watch I prefer not having something dangling from one wrist. I also don't really like the general look of these watches, so even if I wanted to use one I'm not convinced I'm going to like seeing one on my wrist, either. But, will usefulness win over style in this case? I'm not so sure.

I sat on the fence for a bit and then jumped in with the version 3, I've since moved to the 4 and like it a lot more. The 5 was such a slight improvement from the 4 that I didn't bother upgrading. I like the fitness tracker and other health junk on there. The call quality is actually pretty astounding should you ever find yourself using that feature. Overall I'm quite happy with my watch.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I was given the series 3 for Christmas. Were it not a gift I don’t think I would have gotten it for myself. It’s a neat digital watch, nice to have activity tracking and notifications but I can’t yet see the essential killer app function for it. Even with a nice band it’s not as nice as my other watches and does not complement a suit.

Last edited by Robert B. on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:21 pm.

mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I mainly use it to control my music/audiobooks. When driving, my phone is stowed, so I like being able to pause my audiobooks and I don’t have a fancy car.

It’s also nice for keeping track of runs. I don’t think it’s worth close to it’s price.
juice Inadvertently correct
I have a series 2 Nike version.

It is useful to receive text messages and talk on the phone Dick Tracy style.

I also use it for help with fitness goals and run tracking. The Nike app is hit and miss, though. The updates aren’t bug tested very well.
dv
I have a FitBit Ionic that does most of the stuff mentioned above but it was $200, not $400.

:shrug:
juice Inadvertently correct
dv posted:
I have a FitBit Ionic that does most of the stuff mentioned above but it was $200, not $400.

:shrug:

Now that google owns Fitbit (and by extension the data potentially being harvested from it), let me know how that works out for you.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I have a Fitbit Versa, it also does everything that I want and it was only $110.

And google already knows our lives.
I have a Tikwatch E. It's iffy and started buzzing for no reason so I don't use it. My old Pebble was awesome at the time and I never had anything as reliable.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I bought the wife one for Christmas. She loves it. For me the number one reason to buy it was the ECG function as she was recently diagnosed with A-Fib.
I'm not sure if you have to have your phone right in your pocket to make calls with it but it seems to work without the phone.
I prefer an uncomplicated analog watch, myself.
I'm still on the Series 3, and I've been super happy with it. Plus the Series 3 is a really aggressive price right now, particularly if you can get it on sale.

My wife just moved to the 5. She's been really happy with the 5. There are a few things about the 4/5 screen I'm jealous of, but overall I'm still happy with my 3 and waiting at least for the 6 before I upgrade, maybe longer.

If you are interested but unsure, I'd consider picking up a 3. Ideally, get it somewhere you can return it within 14 days, because you might love it and want to go straight to the 5 instead.
Vulture 420
I'm thinking of getting a Theremin instead.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
My wife has a Series 3 and loves it. She has over a dozen bands that she swaps in and out. Of course, for her it's more of a notification display and watch than fitness device.
Vulture 420
maurvir posted:
My wife has a Series 3 and loves it. She has over a dozen bands that she swaps in and out. Of course, for her it's more of a notification display and watch than fitness device.

This is one of the things I'm fascinated about, how to choose which watch body and which bands to choose to have it look different for different situations? How do you find one should navigate such possibilities given the choices available, or how do you find your wife tends to make these choices with what she has available?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
She shops for them on Amazon, of all places. She went with a rose gold body and swaps in a variety of straps. Everything from solid black/white/blue to jeweled gold and silver straps. There are also cases that can help if you pick a base color that doesn't coordinate well.

Apple actually got this aspect of the Apple watch right.
At this point I have 4 bands. I have a knock-off black Milanese loop that I use a lot of days, a nice top-grain leather brown band (not from Apple) that I use mostly if I'm dressing a little nicer, the Nike sport band that came with it that I rarely use, and a knockoff nylon sport loop that I use for working out or when flying cross-pacific (it's ugly but soft and comfortable).
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I know several people that have at least one, and they all love it. I personally have no use for it.
So I just got Mom one for her birthday; and dang now I kinda want one also.
Vulture 420
I did end up buying a Theremin instead, it should arrive soon.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

How many of you have the Watch? Is it worth it and why?