Microsoft will hack you

Online now: Google [Bot], Kirk
ukimalefu dysfunctional
virus? malware?

Microsoft to force Chrome default search to Bing using Office 365 installer

Quote:
Microsoft is planning to use the Office 365 installer to forcibly switch Chrome users over to the company’s Bing search engine. Microsoft’s Office 365 ProPlus installer, used by businesses, will include a new Chrome extension next month that switches the default search engine to Bing. New installations of Office 365 ProPlus and updated installs will include the extension, as long as the default search engine in Chrome is not set to Bing.

Microsoft is clearly marketing this to IT admins as enabling its Microsoft Search functionality in Chrome, but it also looks like a stealthy way of pushing people over to using Bing. If Bing is already set as the default search engine in Chrome, then the extension never gets installed. Microsoft is planning to roll this out in the US, UK, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, and India next month.

:brow: :worriedfrown:
What if you're using DuckDuckGo? And even Bing is better than Google.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Betonhaus posted:
What if you're using DuckDuckGo? And even Bing is better than Google.

:roll:

not the point, they're changing your search engine without asking, they're forcing bing on you
dv
They may be forcing Bing on people, but they're forcing it on Google's cattle. The people are screwed either way; as for the companies:

juice Inadvertently correct
I appreciate the notice on this. I'll be sure to change it back.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
dv posted:
They may be forcing Bing on people, but they're forcing it on Google's cattle. The people are screwed either way; as for the companies:

No, no, no

I mean, google browser comes with google as default. MS browser comes with bing. Is that forcing it? I don't think so.

Surreptitiously changing your search engine? unacceptable.

But it's not the first time something like this has happened. My father once got his search engine, Chrome, replaced with yahoo, likely because he installed some app and just clicked ok through every dialog without reading it.
juice Inadvertently correct
Very little difference here to an app resetting your privacy settings on every update. Both practices should be illegal upon pain of CEO castration (in the non gender specific sense) but since the US is an oligarchy this blatherskite is allowed and/or encouraged.
TOS
i noticed bing is trying to offer points for searches ... collect points, earn rewards!
Bing has done that for years. I have a ton of points. I should probably redeem them.
macaddict4life posted:
Bing has done that for years. I have a ton of points. I should probably redeem them.

https://account.microsoft.com/rewards/redeem/all

Honestly I wasn't expecting much. I put them all into the contests and intend to forget about them.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Microsoft backtracks, because they listen to users, and they're so nice... :roll:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/11/2113 ... s-canceled
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Microsoft will hack you