Mystery start-up items not listed in "login items"

Online now: No visible users
Bren Everything went to hell after Empire.
My father sent me the following e-mail:

Quote:
Whenever I boot the Mac it automatically opens 4 or 5 different apps at the same time including web browser. I have to close each one till I can find what I want. How does one prevent this?

I naturally told him to go into the "Users & Accounts" preference pane and delete the apps in question from the "Login items" list.

He wrote back and said the following:

Quote:
Well that didn't work. I got the box that says "These items will open ..." The box is blank. Now when I boot up in addition to all the other junk I have a box that says Welcome to TV, which I can't get rid of.

Anybody got any idea what might be going on?

I don't recall which version of MacOS he's running, but I think he might have mentioned something about having upgraded to the latest one. Which I would have discouraged, as this is a dual-core Mac Mini from a few years ago.
Got another e-mail from my dad.

Does Catalina save the state of any application that happens to be running when you shut down the computer? Is that what's going on?

Quote:
It's Catalina. I figured out how to get rid of the Welcome to TV. I clicked Quit on the button at the bottom and got it off the menu bar. I just booted again and this time got only one app open. I clicked on Quit on the menu button and it went away. Maybe that's the secret. I'll see how it looks next time.

dv
Bren posted:
Got another e-mail from my dad.

Does Catalina save the state of any application that happens to be running when you shut down the computer? Is that what's going on?

Quote:
It's Catalina. I figured out how to get rid of the Welcome to TV. I clicked Quit on the button at the bottom and got it off the menu bar. I just booted again and this time got only one app open. I clicked on Quit on the menu button and it went away. Maybe that's the secret. I'll see how it looks next time.

Yes. By default, when you start up the computer, it opens all the stuff you were doing when you shut it down. That's been a feature for a few versions, but it was switchable.
So the feature can no longer be shut off?
dv
Bren posted:
So the feature can no longer be shut off?

No, it's still there on my machine. (10.15.2.)

The checkbox is "sticky" - it defaults to whatever you left it as last time. But it's easy to ignore and it might have gotten reset when he upgraded.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
That was my first suspicion.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
There has to be a KB combo to disable restoring running apps at boot, otherwise there would be no escape from an app that crashes your Mac on launch.
Pariah posted:
There has to be a KB combo to disable restoring running apps at boot, otherwise there would be no escape from an app that crashes your Mac on launch.

When restarting after a crash, I recall that the OS asks you if you want to restore previously open programs....but I might be confusing that with WIN10 which crashes much more often.
Metacell posted:
Pariah posted:

When restarting after a crash, I recall that the OS asks you if you want to restore previously open programs....but I might be confusing that with WIN10 which crashes much more often.

I have no idea if it does or not, but I don't seem to think so.
Lombo Opiofiend
Ah. It's been so long since I've seen a crash that I didn't know that.
If you game a lot, it crashes a lot....probably not so much without screen-switching and stuff. It's not so bad...usually I can log out and back in without restarting, not like the old blue-screen of death.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Mystery start-up items not listed in "login items"