I'm about to buy an iPhone 8. Change my mind ...

Online now: Google [Bot], juice, maurvir
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I think the 8 can do everything I want my phone to do. I'm not all that impressed with my wifes XR, it's fine and all, but I can do the same thing with a less expensive phone.
It's got Apple Pay, Inductive charging, waterproof, and a better camera than the phone I have; and it can update to the latest OS.
And, it's $150 less than the XR.

https://www.appalachianwireless.com/black-prices/

Discuss!
sure go ahead
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I don't see a problem with that plan. Go for it.
Lombo Opiofiend
Wait until the SE2 launches. You will have iPhone 11 hardware in your beloved 8 frame with 8 prices.
https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-se/
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Lombo Opiofiend
Do you want the 11 ? It would futureproof your phone upgrade for at least 5 years. If you factor the 7.50 difference over 5 year it is absolutely tiny. The battery life gain alone are worth it.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Good point, but right now I have to keep my expenses to the minimum, and the 7.50 over the three year payment plan is 270.00.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Only $150 less? Surely they can be found cheaper than that?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Lombo posted:
Do you want the 11 ? It would futureproof your phone upgrade for at least 5 years. If you factor the 7.50 difference over 5 year it is absolutely tiny. The battery life gain alone are worth it.

Yeah, see; now you've got me doubting my plan and rethinking everything.
Yeah yeah, I know ... I asked for it.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Robert B. posted:

That's my biggest problem. I'm trapped in a cellular monopoly.
The only other carrier is ATT, and they have, like, one tower in town. When you start going up into the hollows or get more than a few miles out of town you lose signal. All the secondary carriers like Tracphone piggyback on the ATT towers, so you're no better off with them. And AppWireless is a CDMA carrier and Verizon wont come in here, I guess there is some kind of agreement between them since the Appwireless phones roam on Verizon. Anyway, you can't get a Verizon phone around here.
There's Appalachian Wirweless, AT&T, and Tracphone/Straight Talk; and you don't get much signal from the latter two. I've heard people say, "I'm sorry I didn't get your message. I had to wait 'till I got over on this side of the hill 'cause I got no signal where I live."
So, if you depend on your cell phone for work you really don't have a choice of carriers.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Get the 8

you don't want us to change your mind, you want us to tell you you're making the right choice

there's a difference

The iPhone 8, will be fine
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
ukimalefu posted:
Get the 8

you don't want us to change your mind, you want us to tell you you're making the right choice

there's a difference

The iPhone 8, will be fine

You know me so well ... :cry:
I still have an 8. It is perfectly fine. I do wish I had Face ID, because I love Animoji, but there just isn’t a compelling reason for me to upgrade at this point. So if you don’t care about the things it is missing, it’s still a great phone.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
I'm quite pleased with my 8, but I've been toying with the idea of getting a 10 now that the price on a used one has come down.
DukeofNuke posted:
Robert B. posted:

That's my biggest problem. I'm trapped in a cellular monopoly.
The only other carrier is ATT, and they have, like, one tower in town. When you start going up into the hollows or get more than a few miles out of town you lose signal. All the secondary carriers like Tracphone piggyback on the ATT towers, so you're no better off with them. And AppWireless is a CDMA carrier and Verizon wont come in here, I guess there is some kind of agreement between them since the Appwireless phones roam on Verizon. Anyway, you can't get a Verizon phone around here.
There's Appalachian Wirweless, AT&T, and Tracphone/Straight Talk; and you don't get much signal from the latter two. I've heard people say, "I'm sorry I didn't get your message. I had to wait 'till I got over on this side of the hill 'cause I got no signal where I live."
So, if you depend on your cell phone for work you really don't have a choice of carriers.

Shame that you can't switch to DeadPool Wireless
iPhone 8 is the one where Apple removed the headphone jack, so at least be prepared for that.

I'm still using my 6s Plus, which has served well for several years, although I can't seem to stop breaking the screen. Never had that problem with any of my previous iPhones.
Lombo Opiofiend
Buying old tech is not always preferred. The way I see it the 8 is already 3 years old. For the price difference it is not a good buy. The water-resistance and general sturdiness of the glass and the battery life and the cameras and the CPU’s are so much better on the 11. No contest.
juice Inadvertently correct
Robert B. posted:
iPhone 8 is the one where Apple removed the headphone jack, so at least be prepared for that.

I'm still using my 6s Plus, which has served well for several years, although I can't seem to stop breaking the screen. Never had that problem with any of my previous iPhones.

My 7 doesn't have a headphone jack.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Lombo posted:
Buying old tech is not always preferred. The way I see it the 8 is already 3 years old. For the price difference it is not a good buy. The water-resistance and general sturdiness of the glass and the battery life and the cameras and the CPU’s are so much better on the 11. No contest.

It's the $50 down I'm trying to save.
I might be tempted by an XR, though. They're on sale for one cent, too.
juice posted:
Robert B. posted:

My 7 doesn't have a headphone jack.

Ok, so I guess it was the 7.
Lombo Opiofiend
The XR is way better future proofed. Also the battery life is far superior to the 8. Go with the XR. You will find that it is great phone. I had it before the 11 pro and it was a great phone. In red it is gorgeous. Or yellow!
Lombo Opiofiend
Even the camera is better. The water resistance is better too. And the cpu is way faster than the 8.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Well, I got the 11.
I got to the store about 9:30 and there was a lady at the door handing out numbers. I got 75, and then I heard a clerk at the counter call out, "34!" ...
So, two hours later I got to the counter and I caved. The clerk said, "We don't need cash today. We'll just add it to your bill."
"Oh!" I said, "Well, let me have an iPad, too!"
I'm such a sucker.
Lombo Opiofiend
Congrats. You will be very happy with this phone. It is an amazing device.
Lombo Opiofiend
Once you are used to Face ID it is very nice. Fast as hell and so convenient.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Lombo Opiofiend
Do you like your new phone ? What colour did you pick ?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Well first, I want to say "thank you" to Lombo for helping me suppress my Capricornian tendency toward practicality.
Quote:
The XR is way better future proofed. Also the battery life is far superior to the 8.
, since this whole need for a new phone was precipitated by the failing battery in my 5s. I've enjoyed my 5s because of it's pocketable size, and I have to give credit to it's Griffin Survivor case for its longevity. Also kudos to Warren; I didn't know the 8 didn't have Face ID. That helped change my mind, too.
I got a black one.
Now, here's where I get a little weird. I haven't opened the box yet. Boring, I know; but I've been pretty busy these last couple of days and I didn't want to be distracted doing the set up.
I'm also considering wrapping it and putting it under the tree so I'll have a gift to open on Christmas morning when the family comes over.
Crazy, huh.
I'm going to give the iPad to my wife for Christmas. It was a pretty good deal, I thought. Nothing down, $10/month for 24 months. The lady at the phone store gave me the SIM card and said, "Just don't put this in it unless you really need to. Save on your data use."
Today I'm shopping for Griffin or Otterbox cases for them.
Vulture 420
Very smart going from maybe an 8 to definitely the 11.
The Otterbox Commuter cases are really nice. Not as bulky as the original otterbox cases, but still great amounts of protection.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I'd like to have a case that has port covers.
If you have inductive charging and bluetooth earbuds, you need hardly ever use the lightening port. might as well keep it covered.
Lombo Opiofiend
The phone is very water-resistant. Even if liquids gets in the lightning port and you try to charge the phone will refuse to charge and tells you to let it dry.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Yeah, but I've had issues with pocket lint, and the wife's XR has given the wet port error when it was dry, prompting me to buy her a wireless charger. So ... an ounce of prevention.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

I'm about to buy an iPhone 8. Change my mind ...