Apple Card: so much for that non-discrimination promise

Online now: Betonhaus, Google [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://www.fastcompany.com/90429224/i- ... ist-insult

Quote:
On November 7, tech entrepreneur and Ruby on Rails creator David Heinemeier Hansson shared a disturbing story on Twitter, alleging that the Apple Card was discriminating against his wife. Both he and his wife Jamie Heinemeier Hansson applied for the Apple Card, but he received a credit limit that was 20 times what she was given—even though the couple files joint tax returns and she has a higher credit score than he.

When the couple contacted Apple’s customer service, David reports that a representative blamed a black box algorithm for the discrepancy, then raised Jamie’s credit limit to match his without requesting more documentation. David’s Twitter thread went viral, and many others—including Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak—shared that they’d had similar experiences with the Apple Card. Wozniak said in a tweet that his credit limit on the Apple Card was 10 times that of his wife, even though they share all bank accounts and assets.

dv
Interesting.

Time to white-unbox some algorithms.
Vulture 420
I'm going to blame a black box algorithm for everything now.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Blaming an algorithm is the same as admitting it was done deliberately.
gd Hero of Twilight
So it discriminates against women, or just wives?

It’s interesting that this thread came up as I was looking into this credit card. Is it worth it, discrimination and all?
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
I like mine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
C. Ives posted:
I like mine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven’t looked into it much. Does it have any benefits over other cards?
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
mmaverick posted:
C. Ives posted:
I like mine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven’t looked into it much. Does it have any benefits over other cards?

It's neat looking and made of metal? ;)

The 1-2-3% cash back is nice, and the fact that they are pretty up-front about payments and such right on your phone is great, but otherwise no, there are probably better cards out there.

But having said that, I made a $300 software upgrade the other day and they instantly declined it and made my verify the purchase on my phone via Face ID. That was really annoying until I opened my mail later that day and say $3000 worth of fraudulent purchases on my Menards card (which I haven't used in a year) all made at a gas station that Capital One didn't even baulk at (no call, didn't shut down the card, didn't send me a statement for a month).

So no, but yes.
Vulture 420
My understanding is that Apple Card is a loan spread out over the payment schedule time with no interest and no late fees as long as you pay the entire loan in a timely manner.
Vulture posted:
My understanding is that Apple Card is a loan spread out over the payment schedule time with no interest and no late fees as long as you pay the entire loan in a timely manner.

I think that's the financing plans offered by Apple (that some have speculated may phase out), not the Apple Card.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Apple Card: so much for that non-discrimination promise