New Macbook Pro

Online now: Google [Bot], juice, maurvir
dv
They apparently tried to fix the damned keyboard.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/13/tech/mac ... index.html
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Quote:
The new MacBook Pro features a stunning 16-inch Retina display — the largest Retina display ever in a Mac notebook. It produces 500 nits of brightness for spectacular highlights and bright whites, while delivering deep blacks thanks to the precise photo alignment of liquid crystal molecules. And the P3 wide color gamut enables brilliant, true-to-life images and video. So no matter where you are, you’ll see your work in the best possible light.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/specs/

Last edited by ukimalefu on Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:25 pm.

dv
512GB as standard is pretty past-due, especially for a $2k+ machine.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
dv posted:

even for an SSD? and all the other stuff they put into it?

well, ok, it's still apple, won't be cheap
dv
ukimalefu posted:
dv posted:

Even for an SSD. A 1TB PCI-E SSD is $100.

It'd be one thing if it had an HDD bay or other secondary storage too, but it doesn't. Just whatever's glued into the motherboard at assembly time.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Not sure i'd want a portable with that big of a screen, but i'm also not the target demographic for it.
juice Inadvertently correct
I've never heard of a nit as a unit of measure.
ukimalefu posted:
dv posted:

Especially for a system they is intended to be used. When I had a 256gb SSD in my old laptop I found I was doing a lot of balancing to keep it from getting too full. Nowadays 500gb should be sonsidered the minimum unless it's an ultra budget system that you regret buying.
dv
juice posted:
I've never heard of a nit as a unit of measure.

It's a unit of brightness. No idea what it means, myself. But it's been showing up in monitor reviews since LCDs became a thing, at least.
I thought it was a juvenile louse.

edit: plural form lice first used; couldn't think of the singular

Last edited by juice on Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:40 pm.

macnuke Afar
nit1
/nit/
noun
noun: nit; plural noun: nits
the egg or young form of a louse or other parasitic insect, especially the egg of a head louse attached to a human hair.

I always thought an RCH (red uncouth woman hair) was the smallest unit.
but... it's smaller than a human hair.

it's very very small.
Donkey Butter jerk face
yeah a new Apple thing. Let's all say how much it sucks.

:roll:
Lombo Opiofiend
It doesn’t seem to suck. Sorry.
dv
Donkey Butter posted:
yeah a new Apple thing. Let's all say how much it sucks.

:roll:

Lombo posted:
It doesn’t seem to suck. Sorry.

Yeah, that wasn't my intent either. I'm actually kinda happy they redesigned the terrible keyboards and added a physical escape key back.
But we have to see how else they stick fiddled up. Is the display ribbon a few millimeters too short again?
Vulture 420
Wow, up to 8TB SSD! Finally SSD is the cheaper default after almost a decade. I'm not saying 8TB is gonna be cheap, but I don't think anyone ever even had an 8TB platter drive in a laptop before. My laptop came with 256GB, which is preposterous. I know some light users can get away with a mere 512GB now, but even that is laughable for most users who actually need to do work.

Betonhaus posted:
But we have to see how else they stick fiddled up. Is the display ribbon a few millimeters too short again?

:lol: That's a good one! It won't take long to figure out what the weak links are that brick these new models.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
First report, the keyboard is good

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/209 ... -processor

it's just a "first impression", not a review

Quote:
I shouldn’t be that definitive in this hands-on with the laptop since I’ve only been typing on it for half a day, but I don’t expect my opinion to change with more time. Apple has dropped the butterfly mechanism it has used on MacBooks for the past few years and gone back to good old reliable scissor switches. Apple has enough faith in this new (old) design that it won’t be including this MacBook Pro in its extended keyboard repair program.

Quote:
There is a real, honest-to-god Esc key in the upper left. The Touch Bar is still here, just shorter, and it is still flanked by a fingerprint sensor on the right. The other major improvement is a return to the “inverted T” formation for the arrow keys, which makes finding the right one by feel a thousand times easier than before.

It has a bigger screen, but it isn't bigger. TARDIS kind of stuff ;)

Quote:
Apple fit the 16-inch screen into a 15-inch body by slimming the bezels down on the left and right a lot and the top and bottom a little. And when I say “15-inch body” I should be clearer: I mean the 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro. This 16-inch model is very nearly identical to that older model’s size, which makes it very slightly bigger than last year’s model.

Got to say, first time I've really thought I'd prefer a bigger laptop than my current 13".

I can't believe they didn't release a new 13" at the same time! Excited to see what they do if they redesign it to match.

Though I've also considered leaving the laptop entirely and moving to a Mac mini the next time they update the mini. I can use my iPad anywhere I need to be truly portable, and a Mac mini would be cheap, powerful, and easy to carry between my desk at work and my desk at home (both of which have a monitor/keyboard/mouse or trackpad setup ready to go). Plus the mini would integrate nicely with my eGPU setup I already have going at home.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
The 16" screen in a 15" form factor sounds interesting...
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

Quote:
One of the main promises Apple is making with its new 16-inch MacBook Pro is that the keyboard — after years of easily broken butterfly-switch mechanisms — is finally switching back to the more reliable scissor-style switches it’s used in the past. And iFixit’s teardown of the new laptop confirms that promise, with Apple using scissor switches that appear to be virtually identical the ones it uses in its Magic Keyboards, first introduced in 2015.

The switches on the 16-inch MacBook Pro are so similar to the standalone keyboard, in fact, that iFixit’s report says that keys are interchangeable between the two products. The change comes after a long, multiyear debate between Apple and customers over the butterfly switches, causing Apple to revamp the mechanism multiple times to block debris and add extra strength. Apple was also forced to acknowledge that the keyboards were problematic, and offered an extended warranty program for those laptops.

I guess Apple finally decided to knock it off with the butterfly keyboard after all. Thanks Tim Apple!
TOS
their biggest screen ever? i thought they had a 17" screen once upon a time
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS posted:

they did have a 17"

who said it's the biggest? biggest intel laptop maybe?

maybe in terms of resolution?

idk
A Nit is a measurement of how much light the TV screen sends to your eyes (luminance) within a given area. On a more technical level, a NIT is the amount of light output equal to one candela per square meter (cd/m2 - a standardized measurement of luminous intensity).
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:

Biggest retina display in a MacBook.

Last 17 inch was 1920x1200, this is 3072x1920.
Donkey Butter jerk face
jkahless posted:
TOS posted:

also 17" MBP didn't have a retina display
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Donkey Butter posted:
jkahless posted:
TOS posted:

The 17" had a bigger screen, the new 16 has more pixels. Pixels have nothing to do with the size of a screen.
jkahless Custom Title
Donkey Butter posted:
jkahless posted:
TOS posted:

I think I just said that. ;)

Must be an incredible amount of real estate on that screen.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Ah, retina displays - because Apple couldn't bring themselves to license ClearType from Microsoft.

They do make for some really nice displays, though, so I guess it worked out.
Lombo Opiofiend
Far superior than clear type. Retina is like interactive papier.
dv
ClearType (subpixel antialiasing) was also a feature of MacOS. Disabled by default for 10.14, because I guess Apple thinks Retina displays don't need or benefit from it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/358596/how-to ... ialiasing/
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv posted:
ClearType (subpixel antialiasing) was also a feature of MacOS. Disabled by default for 10.14, because I guess Apple thinks Retina displays don't need or benefit from it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/358596/how-to ... ialiasing/

The Apple method of sub-pixel anti-aliasing is different than Cleartype. Both are based on a fundamentally incorrect understanding of what makes for more legible fonts. Sub-pixel anti-aliasing distorts font shapes and the soft edges make character recognition worse and contributes to eye strain.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

New Macbook Pro