a strange request

Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Kirk, Pariah
TOS
anyone have one of those white chicklet macbooks lying around they don't mind letting go of? i think they're 2009/2010, core duo 2?

my son needs a chromebook and converting one of these would be cheap and easy, and might even be cool

i'll pay a fair price plus shipping
i have an old mbp the last of the expansion slot era which just so happens to fit the CPU and year you are looking for! I'm pretty sure it is this model.

it is just sitting in the basement in storage. i was going to eventually dismember it for part sale of the display/cpu/ram but idk what kinda market their is for that kinda stuff.

it is missing the hdd, i pulled it out once i stopped using the machine so you'll need to put a new one in and have a proper OS X USB install dongle. Since it's been sitting their all these years you might have to pick up a new battery as well (but at least that is like the storage and is user serviceable). It was replaced once before by Apple since the factory installed one was part of that swell gate scandal.

I stopped using it maybe 4 or 5 years ago since i'm pretty sure one of the internal fans wasn't working as using the dedicated gpu got really hot to the point where I could only use the integrated gpu if it wasn't on a table/desk.

EDIT: I just got it out and it actually does have an hdd installed with OS X 10.8 The battery seems to not be good like I thought it is giving a service battery indicator in the menu bar for it.

However I just discovered the real reason why I stopped using this device. the keyboard/trackpad isn't fully functioning. the trackpad still moves the cursor around on the screen but psychical clicking it doesn't register (if tap to click is enabled that'll work). on the keyboard side 9 of the keys on the upper right do not register input. (F10 F11 0 - p \ ; 'enter/return key' /)
dv
Somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Also, the battery is offbrand/aftermarket and it doesn't have any hard drives or optical drive.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I believe I have one kicking around here that you can have. Last I checked it powered on and seemed to be working okay. I can't vouch for how reliable it will be going forward but it's yours if you want it.

Let me know if you'd like it. (I just found it and plugged it in to see if it still powers on)
I think my dad had one but it died recently. Anything tech related is a can of worms with my stepmom so I won't be able to take a look at it, sorry.
Vulture 420
That's an interesting concept, what would you have to do to make it useful and useable? Just install Chrome OS?
TOS
Vulture posted:
That's an interesting concept, what would you have to do to make it useful and useable? Just install Chrome OS?

https://www.neverware.com

from what i've seen, installation is straightforward and it works fine (and it's free)
TOS
going with db's lappy, he lives nearby

thanks, guys!
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Apple’s Phil Schiller says kids with Chromebooks in classrooms are ‘not going to succeed’

Quote:
Chromebooks have gotten to the classroom because, frankly, they’re cheap testing tools for required testing. If all you want to do is test kids, well, maybe a cheap notebook will do that. But they’re not going to succeed

And also, he wants you to buy Macbooks.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
After hearing so much about ChromeOS and the success of Chromebooks I was surprised to see that Chrome OS has a smaller global market share than Linux.

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-sh ... /worldwide
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Linux has been around for more than a quarter century. (The first distribution was in 1991) Since then, it's been ported to nearly every architecture with a memory management unit, and even a few that lack it. At this point, it is a full featured OS for everything from servers to IoT gadgets.

ChromeOS runs on glorified PCs, has been around for a LOT less (2008), and does a lot less. Just sayin' :shrug:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
Linux has been around for more than a quarter century. (The first distribution was in 1991) Since then, it's been ported to nearly every architecture with a memory management unit, and even a few that lack it. At this point, it is a full featured OS for everything from servers to IoT gadgets.

ChromeOS runs on glorified PCs, has been around for a LOT less (2008), and does a lot less. Just sayin' :shrug:

That's fine. I really wasn't going for any market share contention. I just really expected ChromeOS to make a better showing since I have hear so much about it.
Desktop market-share is irrelevant to Linux. Linux basically rules every other computational niche and while the desktop market share of Linux is small as long as people doing very important things prefer Linux it will continue to thrive.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

a strange request