You know how sci-fi shows usually have glass memory modules?

Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Kirk, Pariah
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://ti.arc.nasa.gov/m/pub-archive/1 ... 20(Timucin).pdf

This is an old idea, but one which was never practical due to the technology required to make it work. I guess technology has finally caught up with it.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Saw the video. That's hardcore futuristic sci-fi kind of stuff right there. Very cool.

They only need to make that glass unbreakable and uncrackable, so those microscopic data points can be read.

I thought, maybe if they put the glass inside a case, like this:

I chose a minidisc because it's optical, read by a laser. They could put the readable behind a protective door like that.
ukimalefu posted:
Saw the video. That's hardcore futuristic sci-fi kind of stuff right there. Very cool.

They only need to make that glass unbreakable and uncrackable, so those microscopic data points can be read.

I thought, maybe if they put the glass inside a case, like this:

I chose a minidisc because it's optical, read by a laser. They could put the readable behind a protective door like that.

the glass is it's own case. But I suppose you could dunk it in molten aluminum for more of a casing.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Betonhaus posted:
the glass is it's own case. But I suppose you could dunk it in molten aluminum for more of a casing.

the laser must read through the glass, if it's all scratched there will be some trouble focusing...

The tech is very impressive, and I hope they can make it, super long term storage. I guess each square of glass would be in a box, in a closet, rarely used... but still.

I mean, every year phone manufacturers claim to have a new, better, stronger glass. They still scratch and break, don't they?
ukimalefu posted:
Betonhaus posted:

the laser must read through the glass, if it's all scratched there will be some trouble focusing...

The tech is very impressive, and I hope they can make it, super long term storage. I guess each square of glass would be in a box, in a closet, rarely used... but still.

I mean, every year phone manufacturers claim to have a new, better, stronger glass. They still scratch and break, don't they?

It's basically pyrex. And you can likely polish it or get a gel that has the same refraction to fill the scratches in if it ever gets any.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Oh boy, an entire film on one floppy disk sized piece of glass, meanwhile you can get 128GB micro SD cards, smaller than your thumbnail.
dv
Pariah posted:
Oh boy, an entire film on one floppy disk sized piece of glass, meanwhile you can get 128GB micro SD cards, smaller than your thumbnail.

I'd want to know the environmental footprint of producing this vs. SD cards and NAND chips before I pooh-pooh'd it too much. I'd happily take a data density hit for personal media storage if it meant the media would outlast me and not rely on rare earth metals mined by afghanistan child slave labor or something.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Pariah posted:

ONe of the main points of this new tech is that it last A LOT longer than anything else
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I always thought those sci-fi memory modules were crystals.
TOS
if it doesn't deteriorate over time like every other form of storage, this could be very useful
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS posted:
if it doesn't deteriorate over time like every other form of storage, this could be very useful

that's the main thing! watch the video
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
As long as there is a protective layer of unaltered glass around it, these things should last until someone drops them. I don't doubt the longevity, but I do doubt humanity's ability to stay civilized long enough for it to matter.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

You know how sci-fi shows usually have glass memory modules?