Anybody use an inductive charger ?

Online now: Betonhaus, Donkey Butter, Google [Bot], Jonesy, juice, maurvir, Warin
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I was thinking about buying one.
How long does it take to charge up a phone?
justine Elitist Beer Lover
My phone doesn't support it :(
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Neither does mine. I want it for my wife's XR.
I ran across a couple of cheap ones last week.
THere was an off-brand for 10$ in that stuff at the checkout line, and a Samaung on the clearance rack but I couldn't find a price.
Are they all about the same?
ukimalefu dysfunctional
I know this because I read stuff

-Apple uses a standard system, so you don't need an Apple branded one.

-It will be slower than plugin a cable to charge.

-Get a cheap charger if you want, but an "off-brand for 10$ in that stuff at the checkout line"? I wouldn't.
Likewise I have an iPhone 7 which does not have wireless charging, but here is what I've learned:

1) wireless chargers come in 3 levels of power transfer: 5W, 7.5W and 10W BUT APPARENTLY all iPhones that can be charged wirelessly use only up to 7.5W (I haven't found anything [yet] which definitively states this INCLUDING at Apple.com).

This is a limited feature of the iPhones so you can get a wireless charger that delivers 10W but any iPhone will only accept 7.5W wirelessly.

Do note that the standard Apple wallwart delivers only 5W even over the USB-Lightning cable that comes with every current iPhone. If your wife is plugging in her XR into one of those, then wireless charging CAN be faster. If you scroll down to the bottom of my previous link to Apple, then you can see and scroll to other Apple plug options with even higher wattages BUT NOTE that those wallwart options with USB-C ports WILL REQUIRE a USB-C-Lightning cable to deliver those wattages.

2) here is what seems to me to be good general advice on what to look for in a wireless charger ESPECIALLY the point about how many (all?) wireless chargers do NOT include a wallwart (so if you plug in a 10W wireless charger into that XR's wallwart then it will deliver only 5W). The author includes a link to Amazon for a PAIR of 12W wallwarts for only $13.

3) I have liked the Boing Boing Store for good deals on tech gear. BTW: I did try to link their search page for "induction charger" but Macstack's BBCode didn't like it because of an included "utf8=✓" in that page link text.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Is there a setting on the phone that has to be changed?
If so, would that have to be changed every time you switched back and forth from wired to wireless and back again?
sean Royal Wombat
I have a wireless charging mat on my nightstand for my iPhone Xs Max. It's nice. If i need to check the time, or answer a call in the middle of the night, I can just pick the phone up. No fumbling with cords in the dark to try to plug it back in when I'm done; Just drop it back on the mat, and it's charging again.

DukeofNuke posted:
If so, would that have to be changed every time you switched back and forth from wired to wireless and back again?

No.
DukeofNuke posted:

Here is Apple's page on induction charging, but in short: nothing needs to be changed. Placing a capable iPhone within an induction field of a charger should be enough, but do read that for other useful info especially how any induction charger can alter/damage magnetic strips and RFID chips on credit cards and other devices like business ID cards while a charger is plugged in. That induction field should be very narrow to the charger--effective charging distance is within 1 cm at most--so you should avoid placing a wallet or purse which may contain such that close to any plugged-in charger (so get rid of that iPhone case with a pocket to carry credit cards).

Also an iPhone is best placed face-up on an induction charger because the power-receiving induction coil is closest to the back (iFixIt's pic of a torndown iPhone XR):

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Thanks for that link. Looks simple enough.
Nikola Tesla would be happy.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
You could just get a new Samsung laptop to charge your phone

https://youtu.be/1Zs2a8iN3Kc?t=89
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I have one, but it just collects dust. I never found it more useful than plugging in my phone, and often times (especially when trying to put it back on the charger while mostly asleep) I found it more inconvenient.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I shoulda added that my son has one, and i noticed he always uses it. I think it's more convenient when you have a lot of devices and older phones that don't support that, so the cables can be used for those devices and the newer phone(s) can go on the induction charger.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
My (her) biggest problem is the boys and their iPads. It seems that every time they come over they steal her chargers to another room and then we can't find them without a full-on behind the couch and under the bed search.
Ah, you (or your boys) have iPads? After you get the induction charger, you can connect it to one of their 12W power adapters to get the fuller benefit of a charger delivering at least 7.5W. As far as I have checked (being Apple's listing for the current iPad mini) I believe all models of iPads came with that 12W wallwart.

Or maybe place a multiple order at Amazon of those 2-for-$13 12W wallwarts I mentioned previously just to reduce your search time.
obvs My password is "contraseña"
I used one for the phone before my previous phone(not the HTC One M9, but the Samsung Galaxy S3). It worked fine. My current phone would charge using it, but I have a wallet case stuck on the back of it, and I'm not going back to carrying a separate wallet and phone.
Old Yoda agitator
What is the efficiency of an inductive charger?
poor, and it varies quite a bit how centered you get it on the target.
Kirk posted:
poor, and it varies quite a bit how centered you get it on the target.

My understanding is this is much less true than it has historically been, though a quick web search fails to find a clear comparison of Qi vs physical charging efficiency.
Lombo Opiofiend
For sure it is less efficient than the 18w USB-C charger of my iPhone pro. It is a beast. 18 watts.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I've used a Qi charger almost exclusively for the past few years. It works great.

I use an Anker brand one that cost about $20
Lombo posted:
For sure it is less efficient than the 18w USB-C charger of my iPhone pro. It is a beast. 18 watts.

Efficiency is a measure how of how much power is lost in the charging process, not of how fast charging happens. So while an 18w adaptor and cable is faster than a 5w, it isn't necessarily more efficient.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I bought the Samsung "fast" inductive charger with Samsung Pay reward points (so it cost $1 for shipping). It worked exactly once before deciding it was dead. Now it charges for about 5 seconds before the flashing light of failure starts. Apparently this is a known issue.

I did, at least, get a USB fast charger and heavy duty USB cable out of the deal.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
So, I picked up an Onn brand charger at Walmart yesterday. $9.95.
Took it home, plugged it in, set the phone on top, and ... it started charging immediately!

I hope this solves her problems with wall warts and cables.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
maurvir posted:
I bought the Samsung "fast" inductive charger with Samsung Pay reward points (so it cost $1 for shipping). It worked exactly once before deciding it was dead. Now it charges for about 5 seconds before the flashing light of failure starts. Apparently this is a known issue.

I did, at least, get a USB fast charger and heavy duty USB cable out of the deal.

Apparently, this is why they were giving them away?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
It wasn't a freebie. I traded in rewards points for it when I hit $25.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Anybody use an inductive charger ?