Subscribe to "your" next iPhone?

Online now: Betonhaus, Google [Bot], juice, Majestic-12 [Bot], maurvir, Pithecanthropus
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/30/apple-l ... ption.html

Quote:
Apple investors have speculated for years about the possibility that Apple could sell hardware, like the iPhone, on a subscription basis.

It's been a hot topic of conversation among analysts because investors tend to value the predictability of recurring revenue.

Under the argument for an iPhone subscription, which some people call Apple Prime after the Amazon program of the same name, Apple would bundle hardware upgrades with services such as iCloud storage or Apple TV+ content and hardware for a single monthly fee. This would let it switch iPhone sales from a transactional model to a subscription model, potentially driving the stock price up without having to increase product sales or prices dramatically.

I guess this is the answer to sales flagging in light of stupidly expensive pricing forcing people to hold onto their devices even longer.
Sales seem to be up now that the naming scheme makes the cheap one the focus.

Software quality doesn't seem to have improved.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Slow iPhone sales didn’t stop Apple from its best Q4 revenue ever

They're still making a lot of money, but "some people" believe that if a company's earning don't grow every year, it is doomed.

Also, it's not Apple's problem, it's technology, Moore's law or whatever it's called. A 200$ android phone is good enough. Ok, you want the automagical camera? 400$ android.

Not many people are going to get anew 1000$ phone every year.
Betonhaus posted:
Sales seem to be up now that the naming scheme makes the cheap one the focus.

Software quality doesn't seem to have improved.

You do realize that the "r" series iPhones cost as much as a flagship five years ago, right? My HTC One M8 was $650 at the time (I got it right after it was released) My Samsung S7 Edge (at the time the flagship) was $800. I got it for $700 by waiting until the S8s were out.

The "cheap" devices are only cheap in comparison.
Vulture 420
ukimalefu posted:
Slow iPhone sales didn’t stop Apple from its best Q4 revenue ever

They're still making a lot of money, but "some people" believe that if a company's earning don't grow every year, it is doomed.

Also, it's not Apple's problem, it's technology, Moore's law or whatever it's called. A 200$ android phone is good enough. Ok, you want the automagical camera? 400$ android.

Not many people are going to get anew 1000$ phone every year.

Most people will get a $1000 phone every 4 years, especially if it's an iPhone because they tend to last longer. Aside from that, nobody like dealing with the green text bubbles. Lastly, you really only have to spend $700 on a new iPhone every 4 years if you want to be very frugal, or trade in your phone every year for the best trade in value against a new phone. Apple has a leading advantage in reality no matter what.

From personal experience, all the Android users I know who eventually went on to get iPhones finally admitted how much more they enjoyed that product, whereas prior to that for years they clung to iPhone bashing and saying the phones were too expensive and their phone is "just fine". It's a common and stereotypical phone OS/brand loyalty, excuse making, and flip-flopping that I'm sure everyone is already familiar with. It's just Mac vs. PC all over again in a weird different way.
obvs My password is "contraseña"
:lol:

Oh my GOD do I love my Pixel 3. And it was ~$400.
This goes into the 'fiddlesticks no' category
Vulture 420
obvs posted:
:lol:

Oh my GOD do I love my Pixel 3. And it was ~$400.

Somebody has to love all the Pixel 3, otherwise it wouldn't be on the market.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Kirk posted:
This goes into the 'fiddlesticks no' category

I hope not

But everything is a subscription these days: music, tv, movies, video games. Is being able to have all of those things in your pocket at all times, thanks to smartphones, worth not owning anything?

-

I read somewhere that one of the reasons flagship phones (of any brand) are so expensive these days, is because there's no contract. Phones used to subsidized, you got them relatively cheap, but had to keep them for two years with the same phone company.

If Apple went with a model similar to that... get a cheap iPhone, plus a contract for 2 years of apple services, something like that... then maybe. But the option to pay in full and own forever should remain available.
I would otherwise be at a point where I'm ready to switch to the iPhone. I've about had it with Android devices dropping support after a year or so and devices getting slower than molasses before their support is up regardless. My S7 Edge, while still a nice phone, is absurdly laggy thanks to Oreo. It is especially galling when my 6S Plus is not only still supported, but still about as snappy as it was new.

However, this push for aggressive subscriptions ticks me off, and now it's not only apps, but hardware as well. I guess I'm not wealthy enough to consider this crap pocket change yet.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Subscribe to "your" next iPhone?